• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Chernobyl nuclear explosion

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
This is a website about the Chernobyl nuclear reactor that blew up in Russia in April 1986. Its a photo account of someone who rides here bike into the area.
Pretty chilling stuff.
Website

There are some pictures of mutations about 3/4 the way through, caught me off guard. Bear it in mind, they are fine when you are expecting them

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Very moving Mith. The pictures help, but it is really hard to comprehend the devastation. Good find! :thumb:

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
Doc, I merely stole the link from MTF, credit goes to Durwood, thought it was definately worth the post here too.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Wow. Powerful website.

I only question the legitimacy of the deformed children, that looks like phelidomite (sp?) deformation [but even the author said she could not vouch for their legitimacy].

The remainder of the site was a chilling and yet still humanistic view of the area.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Mith said:
Doc, I merely stole the link from MTF, credit goes to Durwood, thought it was definately worth the post here too.

I think the girl that did the site is one wonderful girl to have the courage to go through all of that area. I don't think I would go through there.

But speaking of Durwood, what happened to him. He has not posted in over a month? Does anyone out there know why he doesn't come around anymore?

murph

JayC

Huh?
That is a great site Mith. I quickly browsed through. I will go through more thoroughly at another time. The pictures are their own descriptions. No need for words. Did anyone download the video of the "Ghost Town"? It is about 56MB but is worth it. It is 5:37 in length.

humor_me

thcri said:
I think the girl that did the site is one wonderful girl to have the courage to go through all of that area. I don't think I would go through there.
murph

It it courage? or is she just educated? Her father was a nuclear physicist.

humor_me

JayC said:
That is a great site Mith. I quickly browsed through. I will go through more thoroughly at another time. The pictures are their own descriptions. No need for words. Did anyone download the video of the "Ghost Town"? It is about 56MB but is worth it. It is 5:37 in length.

I downloaded all the vids. They are cool. Some of them take so long to download, I though the program became non-responsive. (she needs more bandwidth)

Everyone should see this.

JayC

Huh?
humor_me said:
I downloaded all the vids. They are cool. Some of them take so long to download, I though the program became non-responsive. (she needs more bandwidth)

Everyone should see this.

I just downloaded the Ghost Town video. I don't know about the other ones, but when I downloaded the video I got 600kb/sec. I'm on DSL and it only took a couple minutes.

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
The Ghost town video D/L'd quickly for me too.

I would recommend those who just browsed the pictures go back and read it. I didnt want to read it but once I read the first few pages I was hooked :eek: Makes an good read.

I think that she knows what is safe and what isnt so she isnt scared to go there.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
humor_me said:
It it courage? or is she just educated? Her father was a nuclear physicist.

Even if just being educated to me that would be all the more reason to stay away, but being smart about it probably gives her the courage to go. Did I say that right?

JayC

Huh?
Mith said:
I would recommend those who just browsed the pictures go back and read it. I didnt want to read it but once I read the first few pages I was hooked :eek: Makes an good read.

Well, I started to read it. I'm watching the other videos as I go along. I am on the chapter called "Hotel". It is very interesting. There is a lot to read, but I am going to go through it all. It's stuff like this that put it into perspective. Sure, you can see documentaries on TV, but they don't go into the detail like this site does.

JayC

Huh?
I read through the whole Chernobyl site. All I can say is it was fascinating. The videos were really good, too. For those interested, the woman who runs the Chernobyl site also has another site with other stuff she digs up. It's interesting to see, too.

http://www.elenafilatova.com/

JayC

Huh?
Did anyone download the "Ghost Town" song in the Afterwards section of the site? It is moving. I've listened to it a few times now. The song was made specifically for that site.

Durwood RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
Thanks for the credit Mith, but i found it on another website a couple of years ago. Here is a pic and story from a newspaper last month when they were "celebrating"? (wrong choice of word) the 20th year since the explostion.

This text goes with the picture.

"Children walk through a display in the Ukrainian capital's Chernobyl museum on Tuesday, April 18, 2006. Hanging from the walls are signs of villages that no longer exist, all the residents were evacuated after the 1986 accident at the Chernobyl nuclear power plant spewed out huge amounts of radiation. Ukraine is preparing to mark the 20th anniversary of the explosion, which sent radioactive fallout across Europe. A Greenpeace report released Tuesday declared that more than 90,000 people were likely to die of cancers caused by Chernobyl radiation, sharply challenging a U.N. report that predicted far fewer deaths."

Hard to believe this many villages don't even exist anymore!

Attachments

• capt.kiv10104181248.ukraine_chernobyl_kiv101.jpg
    capt.kiv10104181248.ukraine_chernobyl_kiv101.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 172