• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Building a skinny table for my daughter

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Nothing FANCY to see here.

Just a table that is 5.5" wide, 68" long and 32" tall.

My daughter's apartment has power outlets behind her couch, she runs a power strip over the back of the couch, plugs in her phone charger and computer into the power strip. It looks pretty unsightly.

So I am making her a skinny table that will fit between the couch and the wall. It will create a long narrow shelf along the length of her couch. Inset into the shelf will be 2 duplex outlets. Each of those duplex outlets will also have 2 USB "A" charging ports and 1 USB "C" charging port. So she won't need the to use phone chargers or hang the power strip over the back of her couch.

I offset the legs from the wall side of the table to accommodate her baseboards. And the 1x6 table top will sit firmly just on top of the back of her couch so nothing will fall down behind the couch because the table fills the gap.

Simple 2x4 lumber for the sides. Top is a pre-primed piece of furniture grade wood (pine?). A heavy duty extension cord will be sacrificed for the wiring. Putty is currently drying in the screw holes, those will be sanded smooth. The whole thing will be painted white.

tempImagexZ5ZgH.jpg

tempImageAL0EqK.jpg

9FCAEB93-50AF-45A1-AD29-D57B9182EECC.jpeg

7E1EEF3C-70C9-4965-979B-BEEA90A5B54E.jpeg

Reactions: Doc

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Good idea. That should solve the issue.
My only concern would be if a drink is set on the table and then spills into one of the outlets.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Good idea. That should solve the issue.
My only concern would be if a drink is set on the table and then spills into one of the outlets.
Well let's just hope that doesn't happen!

Honestly I didn't even think of that.

I could not find GFI outlets that had USB ports. And I did look at probably a 100 different styles of outlets.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Maybe change out the wall outlet it plugs into to a GFI.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Maybe change out the wall outlet it plugs into to a GFI.
Probably a good idea. And also mention to my daughter that she should NOT let anyone set a drink on the skinny table.

But honestly since she lives in a rental apartment I'm not sure I'd want to go mess with the wiring of the building, especially since I know she is looking to buy a new place when her lease expires.

Amazon has things like this, might just be better to suggest she buys one of these. It would transport to her new apartment (or condo) and wouldn't require me to put forth any real effort!

tommu56

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
this is what we use we have a few of them one by each arm chair and one by the couch

1672696451273.png

Attachments

• 1672696405772.png
    1672696405772.png
    402.1 KB · Views: 1

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
this is what we use we have a few of them one by each arm chair and one by the couch . . .
I have one similar to that by my bedside for some devices.

But Melen specifically asked for something like what I am building. And it also allows her to have computers plugged into power outlets. She works from home most of the time. Uses 2 different computers. One for video conferences and the other for working while on the conferences. Plus wanted to plug devices in. So it solves those problems and it is basically what she asked me to build.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
check for the 'air intrusion' foam pads for under outlet plates - that will stop spills from running into the outlet, but not spills that go directing in from the top.
for a GFI, wire the top outlets thru a box/GFI outlet on a leg . . .

GFI with usb:
That is actually a more expensive solution to the GFI issue, more complicated too.

The portable outlet is only $17.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Supposed to climb up to nearly 60(F) today so today is painting day for the skinny table.

I need to run up to the hardware store, pick up a little more wood putty too. But I got it primed yesterday. I'll have a couple touch ups because some new wood putty and sanding will happen in 2 spots. But overall it should be done today or tomorrow.

tommu56

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Supposed to climb up to nearly 60(F) today so today is painting day for the skinny table.

I need to run up to the hardware store, pick up a little more wood putty too. But I got it primed yesterday. I'll have a couple touch ups because some new wood putty and sanding will happen in 2 spots. But overall it should be done today or tomorrow.
I use drywall compound if im painting something