• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Blackfoot Thiokol?

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
"Blackfoot Thiokol”? Huh?

Yes, it’s true. Well, more correctly it’s a DMC, but... it’s in the same family.

I had an opportunity to acquire a nice, low hour 1984 DMC 1450 Wide Track (with trailer, no less) and acted without hesitation. (Interestingly, the serial number starts with L4C, which suggests perhaps the corporate transition from DMC to LMC had happened while this machine was in production? My recollection is that LMC discontinued the 1450 and introduced the 1500, so maybe it was one of the last ones made?) With Thundercat and Snowzilla in various stages of disassembly, and Sun Valley 2021 not that far away, it seemed wise to ensure there was a Plan B... just in case.

Scott and I have been putting in a fair number of hours on Snowzilla, but progress is slow... while Thundercat and the 1544 wait for their turns.

When the other machines are completed this little guy will be sold. But in the interim we’ll have some fun with it, and address at least some of the things we found while inspecting it pretty closely. I anticipate replacing some of the exhaust system and rebuilding the carburetor before taking it out for testing to see how well it performs in deep snow and higher elevations.

Of the six snowcats I’ve bought, this one is in the best shape, and by a significant margin. I don’t know when it will be available, or what the price will be, however someone wanting a two-door, wide track DMC 1450 should seriously consider this machine as a candidate.

After getting it home from Colorado to Northern Utah.

View attachment 130713

Towing trailers can be an adventure, especially when picking up a used trailer in unknown condition. A good spare is cheap insurance, and fortunately this trailer had one.

View attachment 130714

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
great find and all, but seriously, you need help!

are you going 2 track for the "gathering of old grousers" at "snow cat serenade 2021" plan B

think chad is going to give you a fair amount of grief

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
great find and all, but seriously, you need help!

are you going 2 track for the "gathering of old grousers" at "snow cat serenade 2021" plan B

think chad is going to give you a fair amount of grief
On the one hand, yes I do need help. But I just don't see Snowzilla being done in time for SV 2021; and that means having a viable backup plan.

WBJ1 and I text fairly often, and I wholeheartedly encouraged him to make SV 2021. That was really done with the expectation that Snowzilla and Thundercat would be up and running. Various things have happened, such as the sandblaster taking about twice as long to get Snowzilla blasted and then the guy who was going to paint it for us wasn't performing... at all. So...guess who gets to do the painting? Yup, good ol' BFT and The Gorilla. And we're slow.... I thought having the painting complete by Labor Day was a reasonable goal. Well, tomorrow is Veterans Day and the painting isn't done...

Looking ahead I expect we will get Snowzilla painted and partially assembled. Then we'll address the relatively minor issues with the 1450 and figure out exactly whats wrong with the engine in the 1544. We would then have two machines for SV 2021. Not the two I wanted to take, but better to take them than miss out altogether...

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
and while we are talking about 2 track machines, yes, yes, yes, once you have gone 2 track, there is no going back, best machine on the snow

without question,

stay orange and tucker on

Torpedos rule the Snow !!!

Last edited:

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
Looks like you have gone to the dark side (2 tracks). Once you experience it you may never go back.
I'm very interested to see what it's like to operate, and how it performs. My hope is to get this and the Tucker 1544 out together for a fair head-to-head comparison. But both machines need to be running well to make that meaningful.

Several years ago I took what became the Vail cat out while Scott brought his 4VL. The Tucker did better in deep snow and while turning, but on flat ground with packed snow... he just ran away from me. I had my foot to the floor, and with no rear window in the cab, the rear tracks were throwing snow clods through the window, smacking me in the head and shoulders...adding to the experience.

Just looking at various parts on the 1450 and comparing them to similar parts on a Tucker, it seems that DMC used higher quality components.

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
seems like Blackfoot tucker is avoiding the obvious, the 2 track tucker torpedo will leave all machines behind, including thundercat...

so, are you up for all comers challenge at the gathering of old grousers, all machines welcome, we will use the 1950 soil conservation service trials evaluation report, to do an updated comparison, fyi, the soil conservation service conducted their evaluation at Sun Valley, this would be prefect,

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
seems like Blackfoot tucker is avoiding the obvious, the 2 track tucker torpedo will leave all machines behind, including thundercat...

so, are you up for all comers challenge at the gathering of old grousers, all machines welcome, we will use the 1950 soil conservation service trials evaluation report, to do an updated comparison, fyi, the soil conservation service conducted their evaluation at Sun Valley, this would be prefect,
PP,

As the saying goes "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing". You and Sno-Drifter are the Obi-Wan Kenobie equivalents in the snowcat world. I've never seen a Torpedo up close, let alone operated one, so spouting off about the performance of a machine on my part would be monumentally stupid.

We have never had the 1544 running well, and we haven't taken it to the same place we tested Thundercat, which was higher in elevation and had much deeper snow. But comparing our impressions of the two experiences I'd bet on Thundercat. Same gear ratios, but with the longer tracks and about 20% better flotation combined with a slightly more powerful engine I don't see anything favoring the 1544.

SV 2020 was enlightening for me and I had a very nice chat with Wakeupcall discussing steel tracks. The steel track system takes so much less power to drive than the rubber belts and steel grousers I would think a lightweight Torpedo's performance would be exceptional.

What's interesting to me is to think where the Torpedo was and about the general trend of Tucker Sno-Cats ever since. It seems like it's been a nearly straight line of bigger and heavier machines (not to mention several magnitudes more expensive). In so many areas in our lives, newer technology has brought about much better performance. But I really doubt a new Tucker can come close to matching the steep and deep capabilities of a steel track Tucker.

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
PP,

As the saying goes "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing". You and Sno-Drifter are the Obi-Wan Kenobie equivalents in the snowcat world. I've never seen a Torpedo up close, let alone operated one, so spouting off about the performance of a machine on my part would be monumentally stupid.

We have never had the 1544 running well, and we haven't taken it to the same place we tested Thundercat, which was higher in elevation and had much deeper snow. But comparing our impressions of the two experiences I'd bet on Thundercat. Same gear ratios, but with the longer tracks and about 20% better flotation combined with a slightly more powerful engine I don't see anything favoring the 1544.

SV 2020 was enlightening for me and I had a very nice chat with Wakeupcall discussing steel tracks. The steel track system takes so much less power to drive than the rubber belts and steel grousers I would think a lightweight Torpedo's performance would be exceptional.

What's interesting to me is to think where the Torpedo was and about the general trend of Tucker Sno-Cats ever since. It seems like it's been a nearly straight line of bigger and heavier machines (not to mention several magnitudes more expensive). In so many areas in our lives, newer technology has brought about much better performance. But I really doubt a new Tucker can come close to matching the steep and deep capabilities of a steel track Tucker.
Chief Blackfoot,

be careful about having a little knowledge, and or getting too close to a Torpedo, it may rearrange many many notions of over snow travel,
fyi, going to bring a torpedo or two to the Gathering,

Last edited:

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
This should be an interesting event. I hope our "on track" reporter Mikemikelle is there to cover the event and give his famously unbiased stories from drift side.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
BFT. You left your self open for so many pokes it is hard to refrain.

I will refrain.

A) don't challenge a torpedo to anything involving speed unless you are on a twisty trail. a snow trac will toy with a torpedoe and then in a moment loose it in the woods. that statement does not apply to straight line driving with a torpedoe operator that failed a psyc exam. ( rollers are still being found in the great state of MI, they are rumored to located near the pride and ego of many snow cat enthusiasts )
B) the super imp is a wonderful cat. give yourself fair time to master the operation and techniques out lined in the manual. J turns and y pattern ascents seem funny to watch, but they are in the manual for a reason. remember you are pulling your tracks tight under you. the slack is on the top there may be times when backing up helps. ( situational awareness, Pilot. probably no need to explain )
c) snagging a Nuther cat..... is acceptable, Use caution should a PARTS cat come along...... cause then you will have a nuther one....... and so on
D)

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter

I will refrain.

A) don't challenge a torpedo to anything involving speed unless you are on a twisty trail. a snow trac will toy with a torpedoe and then in a moment loose it in the woods. that statement does not apply to straight line driving with a torpedoe operator that failed a psyc exam. ( rollers are still being found in the great state of MI, they are rumored to located near the pride and ego of many snow cat enthusiasts )
B) the super imp is a wonderful cat. give yourself fair time to master the operation and techniques out lined in the manual. J turns and y pattern ascents seem funny to watch, but they are in the manual for a reason. remember you are pulling your tracks tight under you. the slack is on the top there may be times when backing up helps. ( situational awareness, Pilot. probably no need to explain )
c) snagging a Nuther cat..... is acceptable, Use caution should a PARTS cat come along...... cause then you will have a nuther one....... and so on
D)

I will set the record straight and help you with your failing Squirrel memories, what got lost in the woods, was 300 h&h as he pulled over to cool off his snow trac, guess I was pushing him to go faster a little too much and I never saw him in my rear view mirror after that,

I came home with all my rollers every year that I have attended, and even all my marbles, though minus 28 degrees does cause you ask why am I here?, always a good time in Michigan,

sun valley will be most interesting, "torpedos rule the snow"

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter

I will refrain.

D)
RedSqwrl,

I thought by "coming clean"on the DMC purchase I might generate some poking. I'm pleasantly surprised that you didn't participate! And by now owning a machine from a manufacturer other than Tucker, I am considering a screen name change.

I realize this might provoke a "yeah, sure" type reaction, from you and others, but I am 99.999% sure I will not buy another snowcat. This was an unexpected opportunity. It provided an insurance policy for SV 2021 and while there are a few things we think NEED to be done, there are some other things that we think SHOULD be done before we sell it. (Neither Scott nor I like to sell things with known issues (even if disclosed).) It's important for us to be able to look someone in the eye and say "There's nothing wrong that we know of". At the end of the day I expect to do a bit better than break even.

As I mentioned above, we are looking forward to taking it out for the usual "testing". We want to do it with the 1544 so there's the ability for head-to-head comparison in the same conditions. If one machine breaks, or gets stuck, we can hopefully rescue it with the other.

We have a pretty sizable storm that's supposed to hit late this afternoon. Forecast is 12-20 inches so I expect to spend a chunk of tomorrow blowing and shoveling snow.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Like foot wear. there is no *perfect snow cat*
conditions vary, work and expectations vary.

Tuckers win the counter-culture and Americana awards hands down - running away.

I would give the best all around working dog award to the Spryte

all around Pleasing, easy to drive, people mover to the snow trac with special ribbon for its swede inspired body lines.

The Super imp is the under rated champion of small cats that can out work its design parameters with years of neglect.

Kristis get the panache' award, not good at anything but are just so awesome in application with self leveling and tidy OC 4 based controlled diff
how could one resist.

sorry bombardier owners those tractors are just to work and utility oriented, well and reliable they are a league of their own.

Just need to get you in a snow trac for a weekend in the rugged great white north and see what you think of the tinker toy of snow cats to have a proper evaluation

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
Like foot wear. there is no *perfect snow cat*
conditions vary, work and expectations vary.

Tuckers win the counter-culture and Americana awards hands down - running away.

I would give the best all around working dog award to the Spryte

all around Pleasing, easy to drive, people mover to the snow trac with special ribbon for its swede inspired body lines.

The Super imp is the under rated champion of small cats that can out work its design parameters with years of neglect.

Kristis get the panache' award, not good at anything but are just so awesome in application with self leveling and tidy OC 4 based controlled diff
how could one resist.

sorry bombardier owners those tractors are just to work and utility oriented, well and reliable they are a league of their own.

Just need to get you in a snow trac for a weekend in the rugged great white north and see what you think of the tinker toy of snow cats to have a proper evaluation

Sir Squirrel of Red,

it is oblivious you have never been off trail and deep into the back country of real mountains, not down by the lake on those very little hills, that are barely taller/higher than an overpass in L.A., cause you would know full well that a Tucker Torpedo is far superior to all machines!

Yes, a Spryte is a good working dog on the trails, nice trails, well packed trails, good dog.

Super imp is a very cute machine, much little a clown car, it always seems they have 4 times more people inside than they were designed for and owners of said machines are quite the characters, niceness folks you would ever want to have a beer with.

once you have tortured a Kristi, you will discover they are a very capable snow cat, and they can hold their own with Snow Tracs in all conditions.

Snow Tracs made for great toy models, and continue to be great childhood toys, sadly, those kids grow up wanting a Tucker, most ever grow up, Brave Sno-Surfer, he broken free of his childhood toys.

Bombardier are the best snow cat in Canada, the B12 are kewl, have you ever seem a bombi with a small block chevy, flat-out fabulous upgrade

and do not forget about the Fantastic Frandee, I will defer to the MOose.

break free and go two track Tucker, the superior machine - the prefect snow cat !!!

the pontoon queen has spoken

Last edited: