• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Asteroids passing Earth tonight

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
This looks to be an interesting month starting tonight with asteroid passing this planet.

The one tonight can be viewed with a good telescope or on line live. Though not close enough to be a danger it is large enough to be a planet killer.
http://news.yahoo.com/huge-asteroid-pass-earth-tonight-watch-online-141514589.html

Here is another that passed even closer however large not in the planet killing class.
http://news.yahoo.com/newfound-asteroid-buzzes-earth-inside-moons-orbit-194412619.html

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I always like when the Leonid meteor showers come around. We sit out in the yard at night and watch.

We've got a modest telescope that I bought for my wife, if things at the house tonight are quiet then maybe I'll pull it out, dust if off, and set it up to watch.

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
I rarely see them either living in basically a well lighted area as I do now. I do occasionally see one though here. I have sure seen some spectacular ones however in parts of the country and world though over the years in places with no lights for cities and such especially the years I owned a sail boat at sea during the nights. It is amazing how much lights wash out the stars and such.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm lucky, we are far enough outside of Chicago that the glow of the city doesn't really affect our views of the night sky.

Just checked the weather forecast, clear skies tonight, tomorrow night, and the next.

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter
I rarely see them either living in basically a well lighted area as I do now. I do occasionally see one though here. I have sure seen some spectacular ones however in parts of the country and world though over the years in places with no lights for cities and such especially the years I owned a sail boat at sea during the nights. It is amazing how much lights wash out the stars and such.

The only time I've ever seen either the Leonid or Perseus showers was when at sea at least a couple of hundred miles
from land. Everyplace else there is too much light pollution to allow a good view. :sad:

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
The only time I've ever seen either the Leonid or Perseus showers was when at sea at least a couple of hundred miles
from land. Everyplace else there is too much light pollution to allow a good view. :sad:

I actually seen them from a desert in Africa and the middle east. As I said also from my sail boat which was large enough to sail around the world but easily get a couple of hundred miles of the coast of Florida.