• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Anyone heard of Low Cholesterol???

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
I had a blood draw & urine last Friday for my upcoming semi-annual visit with the doc, and the results were online on Monday night. Everything looked good, except that my total cholesterol went down from 166 to 130, and was flagged as "low" in the reference range of 135-200.

HDL 42 down from 45
LDL 87 down from 110
Triglyceride 79 up from 58

I never heard of having a too low cholesterol. I guess my healthy lifestyle is a little too healthy. :doh: Guess she'll enlighten me when we meet on 5-12.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Yeah, everything has a range. My doctor once explained to me that sometimes a too low reading is worse then one that is over. Not sure if that applies to cholesterol or not. Your doctor will explain it, I am sure.

My Cholesterol was 160, which is almost exactly in the middle. My doctor said that was an excellent reading. Whenever there is a range everyone wants to see a number dead nuts in the middle no matter what it is.

I wouldn't sweat it. Go eat some man food. Go buy a ribeye and have some bacon and sausage for breakfast in the morning. :biggrin:

I'm down 13 pounds in 21 days and I had today a nice honkin' home grilled burger with 93% beef and cabot cheddar and cherished every friggin' bite. I'm 66 and just won't eat rabbit food every day. :yum:

Good luck Joe.

So says Dr.TR phd (piled higher and deeper)

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
Not thrilled about some of the things I'm reading about this, but I'm not going to obsess over it until the doc goes over the entire report with me. Then we'll deal with whatever it is. Getting healthy is confusing at times.

Ran/walked a personal best 5K this afternoon. Mama stayed with me for 2 miles then bailed. She's not used to the run part, but she did manage 50% run time. I did 64% but could have done better. I was keeping to her pace for 2 miles, then cut lose the last 1.1 miles. Will try to get a run in by myself on Friday when she's out with #2 DD.

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
I had a blood draw & urine last Friday for my upcoming semi-annual visit with the doc, and the results were online on Monday night. Everything looked good, except that my total cholesterol went down from 166 to 130, and was flagged as "low" in the reference range of 135-200.

HDL 42 down from 45
LDL 87 down from 110
Triglyceride 79 up from 58

I never heard of having a too low cholesterol. I guess my healthy lifestyle is a little too healthy. :doh: Guess she'll enlighten me when we meet on 5-12.

Are you on meds to lower cholesterol?

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
Are you on meds to lower cholesterol?
No, and never have been. And my BP stays around 116/64 from diet & exercise. Trying to do things right. Low numbers could have to do with liver or kidney issues, neither of which is in my family history, but that may not matter. Lukemia & the "C" word also potential issues. Don't drink enough to matter, but do smoke a few cigars a week.

Whatever it is doesn't seem to affect my day-to-day activities. Eat well, work long days when I need to, sleep well, no problem walking/jogging 3-5 miles several times a week, and take whatever sex she's willing to give up. :yum:

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
One other interesting thing is that my psoriasis I have been dealing with for many years, has completely cleared up without the aid of medication. I had it so bad that the palms of both hands were calloused, cracked and frequently bled. I wore nitrile gloves for anything to do with cooking, painting or even washing dishes. In 6 months it has completely retreated and my hands are perfectly clear & normal. A pleasant surprise.

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
No, and never have been. And my BP stays around 116/64 from diet & exercise. Trying to do things right. Low numbers could have to do with liver or kidney issues, neither of which is in my family history, but that may not matter. Lukemia & the "C" word also potential issues. Don't drink enough to matter, but do smoke a few cigars a week.

Whatever it is doesn't seem to affect my day-to-day activities. Eat well, work long days when I need to, sleep well, no problem walking/jogging 3-5 miles several times a week, and take whatever sex she's willing to give up. :yum:

Well, my hat's off to you, JEV. I'm not even 50 and I struggle to get my numbers to the 225 range. Craft beer doesn't help, but at least my HDL's are higher -- I luv fish, guacamole and hummus. And beans. Gotsa have that fiber. :thumb:

Galvatron

Spock and Galvatron < one and the same
I would not worry to much Jev,anyone starting a lifestyle change will find them having to do a few tweaks along the way,your body is going through changes and the test results will throw up a few surprises along the way,diet is trial and error but you have for sure gone in the right direction,i bet when you have the next round of tests things have settled and your cholesterol levels will be in the right target area.

As for the psoriasis just like eczema a healthy diet will improve it and in some cases remove it,as the old saying goes you are what you eat.

Well done sir...keep up the good work:thumb:

MrLiberty

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
Cholesterol is a very important part of our system. My cholesterol is high and my doctor wants me on a statin drug. Statin drugs has been sold as a way to prevent heart attacks, but no one has ever proved that lower cholesterol does that. Statins also have very serious side effects which my doctor says are minimal, but I know better because I was on them once before and had very serious problems.

Here is some information about cholesterol.

Nowhere is the failure of our medical system more evident than in the wholesale acceptance of cholesterol reduction as a way to prevent disease–have all these doctors forgotten what they learned in Biochemistry 101 about the many roles of cholesterol in the human biochemistry? Every cell membrane in our body contains cholesterol because cholesterol is what makes our cells waterproof–without cholesterol we could not have a different biochemistry on the inside and the outside of the cell. When cholesterol levels are not adequate, the cell membrane becomes leaky or porous, a situation the body interprets as an emergency, releasing a flood of corticoid hormones that work by sequestering cholesterol from one part of the body and transporting it to areas where it is lacking. Cholesterol is the body’s repair substance: scar tissue contains high levels of cholesterol, including scar tissue in the arteries. Cholesterol is the precursor to vitamin D, necessary for numerous biochemical processes including mineral metabolism. The bile salts, required for the digestion of fat, are made of cholesterol. Those who suffer from low cholesterol often have trouble digesting fats. Cholesterol may also protect us against cancer as low cholesterol levels are associated with increased rates of cancer.
Cholesterol is vital to proper neurological function. It plays a key role in the formation of memory and the uptake of hormones in the brain, including serotonin, the body’s feel-good chemical. When cholesterol levels drop too low, the serotonin receptors cannot work. Cholesterol is a major component of the brain, much of it in the myelin sheaths that insulate nerve cells and in the synapses that transmit nerve impulses.
Some researchers believe that cholesterol acts as an antioxidant.2 This is the likely explanation for the fact that cholesterol levels tend to go up with age. As an antioxidant, cholesterol protects us against free radical damage that leads to heart disease and cancer.
Finally, cholesterol is the precursor to all the hormones produced in the adrenal cortex including glucocorticoids, which regulate blood sugar levels, and mineralocorticoids, which regulate mineral balance. Corticoids are the cholesterol-based adrenal hormones that the body uses in response to stress of various types; they promote healing and balance the tendency to inflammation. The adrenal cortex also produces sex hormones, including testosterone, estrogen and progesterone, out of cholesterol. Thus, low cholesterol–whether due to an innate error of metabolism or induced by cholesterol-lowering diets and drugs–can be expected to disrupt the production of adrenal hormones and lead to blood sugar problems, edema, mineral deficiencies, chronic inflammation, difficulty in healing, allergies, asthma, reduced libido, infertility and various reproductive problems.

http://www.westonaprice.org/modern-...about-popular-cholesterol-lowering-medicines/

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
Thankfully, aside from seasonal allergies, I don't have any of that other shit .. That I know of.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Thankfully, aside from seasonal allergies, I don't have any of that other shit .. That I know of.

You obviously haven't seen enough doctors. If they look hard enough they can always find something. ;)

Our bodies and brain for sure Needs cholesterol. I believe due to statin drugs that so many older folks are taking, more and more dementia is out there.

I know this is old thread but still applies.