542 Cab Forward Restoration

GMoose

GOLD Site Supporter
Thank you to everyone that has helped with the fuel pump issue. I owe Cidertom a great big thank you, he found a person with an OEM pump that was new in box, I immediately purchased it, we will see what shows up in a few days. I will still use some of these great contacts/resources others sent so I can find a second one. I think it would be good to have another one on hand, just in case.

But the story doesn't end there. So I found a 230 Tornado engine that was mostly disassembled in South Carolina. The photos of the engine showed that it still had the fuel pump on it and it was the one without the vacumm, just want I needed. So knowing that I can have the pump rebuilt I thought I would ask the owner if they would be interested in selling the pump only from the engine. Well hell ya they say. Here is the good part, the engine is basically a basket of parts, they wanted $500 for the entire thing. So the price for the pump only was $400 (20% off from the original price of the entire engine they said), and I have to decide by 4:50am on 12/1 or the offer expires. Well I don't want a fuel pump that bad, that then needs a $225 rebuild. So I passed.

I also found a complete engine and transmission assembly out of an M715 still all attached just down the road a couple hours from me, but it had the wrong fuel pump.

GMoose

GOLD Site Supporter
I need to get this thread caught up, and now that I am coasting into retirement working only part time with two weeks to go I have been getting quite a bit done on the 542CF. The last few weeks I have been taking my retired machinist friend parts to remake, repair, modify, etc., he is liking the "pension" as I call it, I am providing him. My goal is to have it done so I can take it to a Jamboree in 2022. I will start posting the work that has been completed but not yet included here. I also am in need of some Tucker specific parts, so I am going to be reaching out to you Tucker fans in hope that help is there. I am not looking for freebees, I am more than willing to pay a fair price plus shipping, as others I have gotten parts from on this forum can attest to. So hang on, lets get this project going again, I am sure many of you want to drive this machine in 2022.

GMoose

GOLD Site Supporter
Drive line help needed. I cannot find a dust cap for my front drive line, it has 24 splines and is 1-1/8 inch in diameter. The rear is 32 splines and has a diameter of 1-1/4, but I have this dust cap. Is anyone out there a driveline expert or in the know? So what I am looking for is one front 1-1/8 inch 24 spline dust cap, a felt seal for it and also a felt seal for the 32 spline 1-1/4 inch diameter.

IMG_20210210_162120094.jpg

GMoose

GOLD Site Supporter
Okay, here is a tough one, I am looking for one aluminum outer pontoon bearing plate AND hub cap. What I am looking for is what I believe is the older style (top in photo), WITHOUT the grease zerk OR screw attached hub cap (press fit). I know the newer one with the grease zerk and screw attached hub cap is better, but I am trying to get this machine back to original. What I have is three of the original plates and caps (top photo) and one that is newer (bottom photo). I would be willing to trade my newer one for a usable older one or outright purchase it from you. Anyone out there have such a component they are willing to sell or trade.

IMG_20210101_104136_01.jpg

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
wonderful, 10 lbs is very generous, happy to help you out...

true idaho baking potatoes are the best in the world and really hard to find on the left coast....

I will bring the dust cap and pontoon end flange to the gathering of old grousers (GOOG21) at SVS21

Last edited:

GMoose

GOLD Site Supporter
Looking for some knowledge on fuel tank sending units. The 542CF has two tanks, both fuel level sending units are shot. Does anyone know what these come out of, I cannot find any markings on them.

DSCN4542.JPG

GMoose

GOLD Site Supporter
Also in need of one door sliding window "handle" like the one shown. Does anyone know a source for this bent material, or better yet does anyone have one from an old tucker they would be willing to sell?

DSCN4539.JPG
DSCN4540.JPG
DSCN4541.JPG
DSCN3017.JPG

GMoose

GOLD Site Supporter
I need a sanity check on something. First the background: I am going to either replace with new or have the original leaf springs rebuilt. After close inspection (didn't take to close of inspection) and sound advise from PP it is best to just replace them, don't want one breaking in half 15 miles out in the back country. Plus this cat was well abused and the springs show damage. The original springs have 6 leafs per assembly on the front set and 5 leafs per assembly on the rear set.

So tomorrow I am stopping in Boise, as I pass through on my next adventure, and talking to the guys at Boise Spring Works. I wanted to have some sprung load information the leafs will support so they know what I am needing. The information from the 542CF tag indicates a curb weight of 5250 lbs, max load of 1800 lbs, and gross weight of 7050 lbs. So I did some estimating and decided the sprung weight of the cat would be about 5300 lb, from this I then estimated the front sprung weight would be 3200 lbs (1800 lb/leaf assembly) and the estimated rear sprung weight would be 2100 lb (1050 lb/leaf assembly). Does this sound reasonable for total and front / rear loadings.

Any comments/suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks!

GMoose

GOLD Site Supporter
Question for the hydraulics experts out there.

I am rebuilding my Vickers VTM27 power steering pump, the original pump had used external filter, but the pump has the option to use an internal filter in the reservoir (see schematic below). The attached photo shows the original filter housing on the inlet to the reservoir. I have purchased a pump reservoir filter and was going to fabricate the retainer, install the spring, and remove the return line baffle as shown on the second photo/diagram.

Does anyone see a problem with using the in-reservoir filter as opposed to the in-line filter, I would like to remove the external filter to clean up the engine bay and have less clutter. Plus I have no idea what filter element to use for the in-line filter, there are no markings on the filter element or the filter body/housing.

The only reasons I have come up with in my simple mind for them installing the external filter and using a Victor supplied filter-less pump (optional) was to make filter changes easier and possibly to use a more common filter element. Not sure, just my reasoning/guessing, which could be flawed. The only other thing I could think of was since the pump is a 6 gpm (maximum flowing option pump for this model) maybe the pump can out flow the filter causing cavitation or starving the pump for oil???

Any ideas out there?

DSCN0930.JPG
Filter Assembly.jpg

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
The 68 442 had a filter element in the tank that works fine until the pump veins broke. New pump and new filter all is well.

My 73 has this tank on the pump but still has a filter on the firewall.

53 has no filter at all.

I like the cleaner reservoir design if not putting a spin on. If everything is new and clean just leave instructions for the grandkids to replace 40 years or so!

GMoose

GOLD Site Supporter
The 68 442 had a filter element in the tank that works fine until the pump veins broke. New pump and new filter all is well.

My 73 has this tank on the pump but still has a filter on the firewall.

53 has no filter at all.

I like the cleaner reservoir design if not putting a spin on. If everything is new and clean just leave instructions for the grandkids to replace 40 years or so!
Thank you for the information, I think I will install the filter in the reservoir and see how that goes, unless someone else provides some insight why I shouldn't.