• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

1975 Tucker 1544 - project and trips

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
These should be the ones.

Meritor R230068 and Meritor R230069 should be the tie rod ends. Right hand left hand you need 2 of each.

Meritor A2 3102Z3458 will be the replacement tie rod stick at 60".

You will need to cut to length in the middle reweld and grind like I did. That tie rod part might be with the tie rod ends so check first.

YamaDooPolCat

SUPER Site Supporter
Okay thank very much for that info. I tried several ways to search this forum last night and could not find anything. I was surprised as I assumed someone would have posted before. I also Google searched, so again, thank you.

YamaDooPolCat

SUPER Site Supporter
Thanks Davenet. I ended up reading quite a bit of your thread on here. Man you do good work!
My goal this year (I have one day left) is to go through enough of the Tucker that I feel it won't leave me stranded on the trail for something obvious.
To that end I pulled more panels off to get a good look at the steering pivot and the ball joints as suggested by Track Addict. All looks good, and I check the bolts for tight. Everything took grease normally and there was no slack or slop anywhere in the tie rods and joints.
The steering ram is obviously from Princess Auto, and the one end had to be cut and welded, but still should do the job for now.
image2[8].jpeg
image3[8].jpeg

image6[10].jpeg

YamaDooPolCat

SUPER Site Supporter
I think I mentioned in an early post how much I disliked the slotted screw driver heads that Tucker used in 1975. NONE of those screws are going back in! I had a friend bring up two bags of Philips head screws as these screws are not allowed to be imported into Canada.
Still - I have to deal with a few sheared off screws stuck in the steel. I have been quite successful at removing broken off bolts by using my stick welder to weld a nut to the stub to unthread the offending fastner. But using the wire feed has been completely unsuccessful.
So how have the rest of you been dealing with busted off screws stuck in the frame?

image0[11].jpeg

Wrench9

I play around with some antique/ hot rods as well as my tucker. It may be too late now but it is a trick that has never let me down when trying to get slotted head screws out of old stuff. I use my air chisel and cut off an old air chisel attachment I welded a slotted head bit to it and also welded a handle that sticks out to the side to allow me to rotate the assembly( a piece of 6” or so small piece of steel rod) to it. I use the air chisel with the bit welded to the end of it and by using the rod welded to the side I can turn the screw out. Sometimes it works best by going just a little each way until the screw becomes freed up The vibration from the chisel plus pushing on the air chisel willt allow the screw to break free. I have removed screws that I never thought would budge. This will work with any type of headed screw just need the right bit welded to the cut off air chisel but as you said the slotted ones are the worse and probably the easiest to strip. You can vary the air presssure to get the right amount of vibration on the air chisel. Enough to work but not enough to mess things up.

YamaDooPolCat

SUPER Site Supporter
I play around with some antique/ hot rods as well as my tucker. It may be too late now but it is a trick that has never let me down when trying to get slotted head screws out of old stuff. I use my air chisel and cut off an old air chisel attachment I welded a slotted head bit to it and also welded a handle that sticks out to the side to allow me to rotate the assembly( a piece of 6” or so small piece of steel rod) to it. I use the air chisel with the bit welded to the end of it and by using the rod welded to the side I can turn the screw out. Sometimes it works best by going just a little each way until the screw becomes freed up The vibration from the chisel plus pushing on the air chisel willt allow the screw to break free. I have removed screws that I never thought would budge. This will work with any type of headed screw just need the right bit welded to the cut off air chisel but as you said the slotted ones are the worse and probably the easiest to strip. You can vary the air presssure to get the right amount of vibration on the air chisel. Enough to work but not enough to mess things up.
I can see that air chisel idea working.
I also use an impact screw driver that also works very well, as long as there is room to swing a hammer. But even then I can end up looking at a busted screw imbedded in the steel where the next screw is suppoded to go. Grrrrr!! I guess I could glue a screw head in that plugged hole and drill another spot, just for looks.
IMG_1703.JPG

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
As far as removing those PITA screws, we've found our preferred technique is using a small cordless impact wrench and teasing the trigger so it hammers away but doesn't impart much torque at trying to loosen the screw. The hammering action tends to break the rust/corrosion bonds built up over decades, and after a bit of hammering the bond is broken and the fastener will loosen. BUT, Tucker changed from slotted screws to ones with a small hex head and our experience is with those, not the slotted style. I suspect the slotted versions are even less fun to work with...

We no longer use threaded fasteners to secure the floor panels or the side skirts on frame. We use closed-end aluminum POP rivets. They hold well and can be easily drilled out if panel removal is necessary in the future. We do use hex-headed, hardened, self drilling Tek screws on the front frame expanded metal panels.

When one of those PITA screws does break off Scott will grab a heavy duty center punch and about a three pound hammer. He'll then drive the remnants of the broken off screw into the hollow frame. It probably destroys the threads in the frame, but we don't care as we don't need those for the POP rivets.

On a different note: I noticed your transfer case is secured to the frame with socket head capscrews. But there is nothing preventing those from loosening. The 1979 Tucker we had used those same fasteners. The heads were drilled and they were secured with safety wire to prevent them from loosening. The 1980 and later Tuckers we've had used hex bolts and short lengths of rectangular thin-gauge sheet metal. Once the bolts were tightened, the metal was bent over the hex head screw corners, also to prevent them from loosening. On P-Z (Snowzilla) we went back to the earlier method except we used stainless steel cap screws drilled for safety wire (available from McMaster Carr). I have an aviation background and used the safety wire technique used in aviation. Tucker instead had small holes drilled in the brackets the transfer case bolts to, and safety wired each bolt individually to the frame.

IMG_1526.jpeg

Lastly, If you elect to replace your tie rods and rod ends, it would be time well spent to align the steering system per Tucker's procedure. If you count threads, or measure distances, and call it good, you're assuming the alignment was in spec to start with. I forget if it was with P-Z (Snowzilla) or the 1544, but the alignment was off by quite a bit and the factory paint served as witness marks that Tucker had never aligned the machine properly when they built it!

I'm sure I speak for many when I say I'm enjoying your thread, and the great progress you're making....

Wrench9

The hand hit impact driver works but the air chisel will outperform the impact driver 3X. It gives you a chance to break the rust free around the screw with the air chisel before you put any turning motion this I know first hand as all the cars from the 30s and 40s had slotted headed screws. I have removed my fair share that were there for 80 years plus. Keep up the good work. The tuckers are a lot of work but if done right the first time they are a lot of fun

YamaDooPolCat

SUPER Site Supporter
I never did check the alignment yet. The tracks aren't lined up and there may be some tension, but it would be interesting to do a rough measure and see where that ends up.
And a Happy New year to you all!
image1[10].jpeg

YamaDooPolCat

SUPER Site Supporter
Thanks for the alignment info. The state of disassembly of the Tucker means I’ll have to wait until I can power it up.

YamaDooPolCat

SUPER Site Supporter
I changed out the pintel pivot today for a receiver hitch so I can slide in a winch as needed. I also have a pintel on a receiver as well
1EAB140F-4685-477E-A942-455A687EDDCF.jpeg

YamaDooPolCat

SUPER Site Supporter
I don’t know if this is useful to anyone but I found this wiring diagram in the documents that came with this Tucker.

YamaDooPolCat

SUPER Site Supporter
Attached. I'll take a different photo as this one was a PAN. Some details are blurry

Attachments

• IMG_1964.JPG
    5.1 MB · Views: 55

YamaDooPolCat

SUPER Site Supporter
I won't be needing the rotating pintel hitch so I now have a receiver hitch that can connect a winch or pintel or ball hitch.

Attachments

• image0[12].jpeg
    image0[12].jpeg
    122.7 KB · Views: 47
  • image2[9].jpeg
    image2[9].jpeg
    133.9 KB · Views: 47

YamaDooPolCat

SUPER Site Supporter
Finally re installed the rear drive shaft. The old one had a damaged yoke where the cup sits, and for some reason the slip yoke was 90 degrees out of phase. The end of the drive spline had pushed through the yoke at one time and had hit the cross hard. Something was damaged enough that I could not slide the yoke off the spline.
The power train shop said to go to the wreckers and find a shaft they could cut down to fit. The drive shaft must have a yoke and spline, and have the 1310 Spicer cross. Turns out there are lots of Ford Ranger driveshafts that fit the bill.
image1[14].jpeg

Amdiesel

Finally re installed the rear drive shaft. The old one had a damaged yoke where the cup sits, and for some reason the slip yoke was 90 degrees out of phase. The end of the drive spline had pushed through the yoke at one time and had hit the cross hard. Something was damaged enough that I could not slide the yoke off the spline.
The power train shop said to go to the wreckers and find a shaft they could cut down to fit. The drive shaft must have a yoke and spline, and have the 1310 Spicer cross. Turns out there are lots of Ford Ranger driveshafts that fit the bill.
View attachment 159650
What are the chances you have a part number for the yoke/yokes you replaced? I have a few in my 76’ 1542 that have the tabs broken off that hold the caps in that I need to replace. The short shaft yoke at the t-case and both yokes for the rear shaft are what I’m after.

YamaDooPolCat

SUPER Site Supporter
Here is a copy of the invoice from Coast Powertrain that has a list of the parts used to rebuild/convert the Ford Ranger driveshaft for use on the rear of the Tucker.

Sorry I don't know why these pictures won't come out upright, or how to rotate here.

image0.jpeg
image1.jpeg

Travler

GOLD Site Supporter
I don’t know if this will help or not , there are a couple of Transmission shops that build the Tourque flight for racing , I no they also have a large variety of gear ratio’s available also , A1 performance in Vancouver WA might be a source for you

YamaDooPolCat

SUPER Site Supporter
There is no longer enough room to put in the original exhaust pipe that went under the middle of the oil pan, so I have to come up with another idea.
There is room behind the oil pan and transmission to cross over and use the original muffler up the passenger side of the cabin.
So I was wondering about putting the exhaust and muffler under the cabin on the outside, or between the frame? Is there a reason I don't see exhaust systems under the cab to come out at the back end? Someone must have tried this?

Amdiesel

That’s exactly how I did mine. I ran dual exhaust for the most part inside the frame, both mufflers are inside the frame and did 2 turn downs out the back. I think it turned out awesome. If you zoom in on the pic you can see how I routed it.

Attachments

• EF7B94D7-09E3-44A6-AA9F-9D53428DFED0.jpeg
    EF7B94D7-09E3-44A6-AA9F-9D53428DFED0.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 73

1boringguy

GOLD Site Supporter
My 1644 came with roof mounted exhaust, all the ones I've seen like that were from Canada, so idk if there was a reason for that up there or what? That was dual exhaust and so is the side exhaust that that i built. The pics show the block hugger headers that I used, and then I fabed elbows to flex, and then to tube, and turn outs at the back aimed inward and down so as to be away from tracks and people. The tube and baffles seen in pic are from Stainless Works. The tube hangers are stainless from them as well. I started with one baffle in each tube but ended up with two which is thevfull length of the tubes, it sounds better imo. So far i have no complaints with it. Run the tube far enough to the back to reduce carbon monoxide concerns.
Screenshot_20230117_174717_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20230117_174826_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20230117_174930_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230117_183903_Gallery.jpg