• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

1975 Snow-Master on craigslist

teledawg

I saw this ad on the Anchorage craigslist for a 1975 Snow-Master that is located in Eugene, OR.

Note the narrow tracks on it!

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/rvs/1214991898.html

1975 Snowmaster Snowcat (Eugene, OR)

Reply to: sale-p8ut4-1214991898@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
Date: 2009-06-10, 12:17PM AKDT

Trailer included. Good wheels and tracks with 4 extra wheels. Much rebuilt or new, including 1600 VW Industrial and Transmission . Have receipts. Trade for buildable property, prefferably in the MAT-SU valley or cash offer. Manuals included. More pictures available.

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

Attachments

• 3mb3pd3o8ZZZZZZZZZ96a492ace8fe1f4106c.jpg
    3mb3pd3o8ZZZZZZZZZ96a492ace8fe1f4106c.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 1,576
  • 3kc3m53lfZZZZZZZZZ96a84f346c2c8481bbc.jpg
    3kc3m53lfZZZZZZZZZ96a84f346c2c8481bbc.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 1,570
  • 3k23pb3l3ZZZZZZZZZ96abf59e882ff5411ef.jpg
    3k23pb3l3ZZZZZZZZZ96abf59e882ff5411ef.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 1,561
  • 3k53m83o1ZZZZZZZZZ96aed2da313aceb1b38.jpg
    3k53m83o1ZZZZZZZZZ96aed2da313aceb1b38.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 1,557

couchloafer

SUPER Site Supporter
I dont think they are narrow tracks I think they might be wide tracks that have had the inside and outside belts removed and cleats cut down.......what a shame :(
I emailed the guy twice and he hasnt responded but he did read me emails double :( :(

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
He did send me pics along time ago. It does look like a nice rig. The tracks have indeed been cut............. He was asking 12K back then.

couchloafer

SUPER Site Supporter
Here is an email I received from the owner Ron Hanks:

Kevin, sorry for the delayed response…………………$15,000 is was I’m looking to get out of the snow cat & trailer.
You are correct the tracks have been cut & narrowed to fit on a standard width car trailer. The grousers actually look like they were made that narrow………….not cut down……not positive though.
I will send you some more photos tomorrow.
Thanks for the interest.

couchloafer

SUPER Site Supporter
The grousers dont look cut down after all, they are just all intermediates in lieu of any wide ones!

Kevin, let me know if you need additional photos.
Thanks

Ron Hanks
Construction Manager
Tool Tech LLC
cell 541-510-4840
fax 541-610-1914
ronhanks@tooltechcellular.com

Attachments

• 100_1530.jpg
    100_1530.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 1,536
  • 100_1541.jpg
    100_1541.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 1,506
  • 100_1544.jpg
    100_1544.jpg
    290.8 KB · Views: 1,703
  • 100_1545.jpg
    100_1545.jpg
    298.9 KB · Views: 1,567

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
In my letter from him he told me they were cut down to allow for easier turning. He may not have known...... They dont look cut down.

hendog

Hey all, he still wants 15k. I did want to ask if anyone has the grafix ability to enlarge the snowflake on the bumper we would actually be able to get all of our ST back to orig!! Any help you snow trac gods can be we would all appreciate it!!!

All the best!!!
Hendog:w00t2:

teledawg

Hey all, he still wants 15k. I did want to ask if anyone has the grafix ability to enlarge the snowflake on the bumper we would actually be able to get all of our ST back to orig!! Any help you snow trac gods can be we would all appreciate it!!!

All the best!!!
Hendog:w00t2:

Download the .ZIP file in this post:

http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/showpost.php?p=261424&postcount=1

All the Aktiv graphics are contained within it, including the snowflake design for Snow-Trac, Snow-Master and Trac-Master!

mtnguyco1981

In my letter from him he told me they were cut down to allow for easier turning. He may not have known...... They dont look cut down.

Any thoughts on how much additional speed the narrower tracks would provide? The ST4B is geared lower than an ST4, correct? Also wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the current asking price of 12K, which accoring to Leadviller, could include delivery to Colorado.

I don't suppose Ron provided any additional photos of the interior? Looks like you'd have to crawl over that bench seat to drive her.

Last edited:

leadvillerpm

He did tell me that he would deliver it to Colorado for $12000 and that he is firm on that price. From some of the pics he sent me it does look like the grousers may have been cut down. I don't think that the modified tracks would give you any increased speed as these machines are geared lower. You may have some increased acceleration do to less mass in motion.

As far as the price the rig does appear to be in good condition, but if I was to buy a snow master I would want those full tracks.

I did find another st4b in Minnesota for sale. It is a 2 man cab and has no fenders. I talked with the owner of it and he says that it appear to have never had fenders. I believe his asking price was $7500.

Here's the link:

Minnesota Outdoor Sports Specialties

Ryan

mtnguyco1981

Leadviller, I saw a post of yours a little while back where you mentioned that the narrower st4 would be a better fit for the type of trails you have near your place. I'm in the same boat here. Forest service access roads behind my house in Blue River are on the narrow side and with the amount of sled traffic they see I don't think anyone would be able to get around me if I had the wider-tracked rig.

I'd also like a machine that I could trailer up to Vail Pass for some cat skiing and I think the Snow Master might be a bit overkill for me to tow at around 8'6". This machine seemed like it might be a good fit, given its narrower footprint and good condition, but I'm not so sure about sacrificing speed and getting less flotation due to those cut down tracks.

Thanks for the link to the other ST4. She looks clean. I'm definitely in the market for a full cab though, since I'd primarily use her for backcountry ski and snowboard access, even if it just meant getting up high and touring or split boarding from there.

leadvillerpm

I have seen some people build custom cabs for the back of a snow trac and turning a 2 man cab into a full cab. I believe you can take the back section of the 2 man cab unbolt it and then move it to the back. Then you could do a canvas or sheet metal section between them. That is what is was considering for awhile until I found the st4 in Alaska.

If you are going to use a snow trac mainly on trails that are used very often (like Vail pass) where is gets packed out quickly I think an st4 would work just fine.

The area I go in gets pretty deep, but I am up there almost every week (with snowmobiles) and maintain some good packed trails that we use for back country skiing. Can't wait to keep those trails packed with the snow trac.

Ryan

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
i dont know what type of snow contitions you guys are driving in but until i got the big thaw and refreeze around here i was crusing through powder between 6 and 12ft deep i could not climb the hills that i can now that i have the frozen base i however was easyly going through snow that snowmachines would not try to stop in with my snow trac at times pushing through drifts that came over the hood most of the trails i broke are being used by snow machines now i wont say its un stoppable but don't under estamate what this little machine will do also the snow master running gear will put down less ground pressure than a snow trac even with the narrow tracks because of the longer chassis and track.

leadvillerpm

From how your describing your machine I don't think there is anywhere I won't be able to take one of these around here. Can't wait to find out.

Have you ever got yours stuck?

mtnguyco1981

i wont say its un stoppable but don't under estamate what this little machine will do also the snow master running gear will put down less ground pressure than a snow trac even with the narrow tracks because of the longer chassis and track.

That's a good point that I hadn't considered in regards to the longer track. Would you estimate the top speed of the narrow-tracked master to be about 13mph?

leadvillerpm

I did the calculations for the snow pressure (psi) for the snow tracs when I was thinking about purchasing this snow master.

stock snow track - .5psi
stock snow master - .3psi
snow master with snow trac width tracks - .55psi

The snow master tracks are only 8 inches longer which does not make up for the added weight (over 400lb heavier than a snow trac)

So if you buy a snow master with cut tracks it is slower and does not float as good as a snow trac.

Doesn't make much sense to go that route to me.

Ryan

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
I did the calculations for the snow pressure (psi) for the snow tracs when I was thinking about purchasing this snow master.

stock snow track - .5psi
stock snow master - .3psi
snow master with snow trac width tracks - .55psi

The snow master tracks are only 8 inches longer which does not make up for the added weight (over 400lb heavier than a snow trac)

So if you buy a snow master with cut tracks it is slower and does not float as good as a snow trac.

Doesn't make much sense to go that route to me.

Ryan
that is interesting didn't think there was that much more weight to extending the track out the back i have known some people ho have chopped the snow master tracks and they did it only because the primary use of the rig was to cross soft ground up by eurika while hunting and all the hard ground in between would break the grousers when on rocks or in ruts dont think they saw much snow

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
From how your describing your machine I don't think there is anywhere I won't be able to take one of these around here. Can't wait to find out.

i have needed assistance only 2 times got against a fence by the airport on a side hill didn't want to do damage to the fence or machine took a 966 to swing the backaround segond time on a recent S&R mission i nosed over into a blow hole and smashed up a fender and broke an axle tube see mini truck fails for the pics if i had not broken parts it would have backed out almoste did it with only one track

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter

the one mod you may want to look at check out my new bumber snow cat sledong post its 2x2 3/16 square tube replacing the old bumper affords much more protection for thr front end which is pretty soft than the factory bumper did with min weight gain just a little insurance for the front axle housings if things get out of control.

hendog

I do have some info on the getting stuck thing, I bought my ST from a club in BC and they accidently slipped off a ridge while running up the mountain, whet into 12+ feet of snow/ untracked powder, the ST vanished, they all thought it went down the whole mountain. Then they saw the snow moving like a gopher under the snow, they radioed back and forth and he drove right out, NO BS now thats a snow cat!!! STs rule!!!!

Wish I saw a pic of that!!

The only slight trouble I have is climbing my logging road in a very steep section with 5feet of powder I sometimes need to cut back and forth or back down and restart but that the most issue I have had, They really do climb!

mtnguyco1981

I talked to the owner of this Snow Master tonight. He's still pretty firm at 12K but will deliver it pretty much anywhere in the west for that amount, which seems somewhat reasonable when considering transportation costs. He also let me know that he'll drop the price $500 for anyone willing to come pick it up.

The previous owner had installed the bench seat, which needs to be climbed over in order to drive it. The standard seating configuration is still present behind the bench. Tires have been foam filled.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this one? It's definitely a bit unique in its configuration. Is the yellowish looking tank to the left of the driver an auxiliary heater?

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
chatting with lyndon he thinks that is the snow master my dad haad bought out of the auction in fairbanks in the 80'sfunny he sold it for 15 k back than and now they want 12 k for it holding its value pretty good.

mtnguyco1981

I'm also curious if anyone knows what makes the Snow Master so much heavier than a Snow Trac. The weight difference can't simply be accounted for by track size/length.

I talked to the owner of this Snow Master tonight. He's still pretty firm at 12K but will deliver it pretty much anywhere in the west for that amount, which seems somewhat reasonable when considering transportation costs. He also let me know that he'll drop the price $500 for anyone willing to come pick it up.

The previous owner had installed the bench seat, which needs to be climbed over in order to drive it. The standard seating configuration is still present behind the bench. Tires have been foam filled.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this one? It's definitely a bit unique in its configuration. Is the yellowish looking tank to the left of the driver an auxiliary heater?

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
not ever taking one apart i would guess its the frame work to accomadate the longer wider track that extra pound here and there adds up quick

JSX

I'm also curious if anyone knows what makes the Snow Master so much heavier than a Snow Trac. The weight difference can't simply be accounted for by track size/length.

The track difference is probably more than you would think. There are 4 additional belts, the tracks are approx 3' longer for a total of approx 10 extra grousers per side, and the added length of every third grouser. The grousers themselves are different as well, more parts built up for the Track-Masters.

Like DDS said, the frame is wider, also the front fenders are wider with additional steel reinforcement. The front bumper is wider.

The front drive gears are also a little larger, to gear it down.

leadvillerpm

I redid the calculation for you on that cut track snow master. If you say that cutting the outer bands off the track removes half of the extra weight of the snow master (200lb) you still get a psi calculation of .51 psi. That is still about the same as a snow trac at .5 psi and I believe that 200lb is generous when it comes to how much weight is really removed by cutting the track.

Another thing you may want to think about is my st4 seems to top out at around 19mph here in Leadville. This may be do to the decreased hp at altitude. Most people with an st4 at sea level clam to get them up to 25mph.

Now a snow master at sea level is said to go around 13mph. It may or may not get to those speeds at this elevation. I would guess that it would do to the lower gearing, but I haven't talked with anyone who has driven one at this kind of elevation.

Ryan

mtnguyco1981

Ryan,

How difficult would it be to modify the transmission so that it would be geared more akin to that of an st4? If that could be accomplished it seems like you would have a pretty nice compromise between the narrower width for this area's tighter roads/trails and the somewhat longer tracks with more aggressive grousers for the deep stuff up high.

Ben

I redid the calculation for you on that cut track snow master. If you say that cutting the outer bands off the track removes half of the extra weight of the snow master (200lb) you still get a psi calculation of .51 psi. That is still about the same as a snow trac at .5 psi and I believe that 200lb is generous when it comes to how much weight is really removed by cutting the track.

Another thing you may want to think about is my st4 seems to top out at around 19mph here in Leadville. This may be do to the decreased hp at altitude. Most people with an st4 at sea level clam to get them up to 25mph.

Now a snow master at sea level is said to go around 13mph. It may or may not get to those speeds at this elevation. I would guess that it would do to the lower gearing, but I haven't talked with anyone who has driven one at this kind of elevation.

Ryan

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
i think it was lyndon who played with a snow master by changing the gearing and it didn't really work out even with a hopped up 1600 those herring bone grousers will suck up the horsepower just like a paddle track on a snowmachine i'm thinking that with a higher gear set lyndon said 100 hp would be about the min.for that machine keep in mind those things arn't intended to drive on roads and even 10 mph can be a rolercoaster rie when going overland if trail witth is a concern i wouln't hesitate to buy that one should serve you fine also teladawg now has his st-4 up for sale and his has the old 2 band track that is almost impossoble to walk out of.i might also add his is a cherry unit and ready to run.