• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

17 year Cicadas are back, map of where they will appear

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
They make a lot of noise when they come out to mate, once every 17 years. Here is where they will appear this year.

This Brood 10 Cicadas Map Shows the U.S. States Where the Insects Will Appear in 2021​

By Kashmira Gander On 1/25/21 at 12:02 PM EST
After spending almost two decades underground, Brood 10 cicadas are due to appear in U.S. states between Georgia and New York this spring, as reflected in a map created for Newsweek.

The graphic below by Statista shows how people in a sizeable chunk of the U.S. will be able to witness the bugs emerging from their 17-year-long stint of underground activity that started in 2004. During this time, the insects have been living beneath the soil, where they tunnel and live off tree root sap.

From around mid-May to late June, the insects will pop up in Georgia, Kentucky, North Carolina, Virginia, and Tennessee in the south east and south, and Illinois, Indiana, Michigan and Ohio in the Midwest. The northeastern and eastern states of New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, and West Virginia will also see the bugs, as well as Delaware and Washington, D.C., in the mid-Atlantic region.

A shower of warm rain usually helps kick off the process, while the soil hitting the right temperature is vital. In 2004, Brood X cicadas were found in dozens of counties in the U.S.

cicada, map, brood 10, brood x, statista,

A graphic by Statista shows the U.S. states that can expect to see Brood 10 cicadas in 2021. Statista
This level of spread means Brood 10 is one of the largest colonies of the types of cicadas that appear every 17 years.

Michael J. Raupp, emeritus professor of entomology at the University of Maryland and a fellow of the Entomological Society of America, recently told Newsweektrillions of the insects are expected to appear in the U.S. this year, at densities of 1.5 million per acre in some cases.

Brood 10 is a family of what are known as periodical cicadas, different to those that arrive annually, with almost the entire population crawling from beneath the earth in a single year. According to Raupp, they are genetically programmed to do this.

Ahead of the emergence of Brood 10, experts at the University of Connecticut are inviting members of the public to help them to create accurate maps by reporting where they spot colony members via the Cicada Safari App, available on the Appleand Google Play stores. That's because data on Brood X can be muddied with information about stragglers who emerge off-schedule, including from Brood VI, who occur four years before Brood X, and Brood XIV, who come four years later.

Raupp said: "This is a wonderful opportunity for millions of people to witness and enjoy a remarkable biological phenomenon in their own backyard that happens nowhere else on the planet, truly a teachable moment."​
Screen Shot 2021-01-28 at 9.50.39 PM.png

Reactions: Doc

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I remember the Brood 10 hatch of 2004. It was not a "wonderful opportunity ...to witness and enjoy. " The dam things eat every green thing in sight and keep buzzing all night for weeks.
The outing of the thirteen year locust occurred simultaneously with the 17 year brood. Trees would be covered with them as they stripped the leaves bare.. They were everywhere.
One of my favorite stories is of when one of our cats brought one inside during the middle of the night. She laid it on my pillow, like a gift, as I slept. It started it's loud rasping buzz right in my face as I was sleeping.

It took the wife over ten minutes to get me down from the ceiling fan.

Last edited: