• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

wideone

billa

I'm delighted to find this site. I've got a ST4B, 1968 I think (I've got it parked a ways from here, in Knik, Alaska. I live in Anchorage. The machine is in good shape but I would like to put a Dual port 1600 or a Suburu with a CVT trannie in it, but I keep putting it off since the darn thing is wider than my single-car garage door.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
If it is wider than a single car garage door then you probably have the wide track version called a Trac Master or Snow Master (early versions were called Trac Masters, later versions Snow Masters). The Snow Trac and the Snow Master are very similar machines, built from 90%+ the same parts. The obvious visual indication that is most striking is the much wider tracks of a Snow Master.

If is was me, I would toss out the VW engine and put in the Suburu powerplant. The advantage is you get a compact water cooled engine that can provide heat for the cabin with the little Suburu boxer engine.

One of the other members here, a guy named Larry who posts under the name ROUGHWOODS, did a Toyota engine swap and has some pictures here (maybe in the photo gallery?).

Also a guy named VILLI who lives in Iceland posted some photos of a Snow Trac with a Suburu engine installed. It was a very clean install. Villi doesn't own it, the unit was for sale and he posted the photos. It was probably the best engine swap I've seen.

If you want to stick with VW, then look for a thread about ARLOWs Snow Trac. He is in British Columbia and did the best upgrade/restoration I think anyone has seen to date.

billa

Thanx for the post. The engine that is in it now is torquey as all get out, but what I'd like is to double the speed for lakes and open tundra, and with the track resistance I think the cvt transmission and new sprockets with fewer teeth would do the trick (if the track would hold up). The last time I took it out, the snow was fresh/dry and we kicked up a heck of a storm around the machine. It was a blast. I'll get a pix when I can figure how to get the bytes down.

elsmitro

floppy member
And here I thought I was going to get to look at pics of big girls :weneedpic .
a671.gif