• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

UK residents organize energy bill boycotts

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have to wonder who is bearing the worst of the Putin/Ukrainian war (other than the actual Ukrainians). Are the citizens in the WEST, who are boycotting Russia's Oil & Gas suffering more than the Russians?

In the UK there is now a push to boycott paying the utility companies. There is civil unrest in some nations. Here in the US there is denial.

"Revolution Has Begun": 75,000 Brits To Stop Paying Power Bills Amid Inflation Storm

The resistance is growing as more than 75,000 irritated people in the UK have pledged not to pay their electricity bill this fall when prices jump again.
"75,000 people have pledged to strike on October 1st! If the government & energy companies refuse to act then ordinary people will! Together we can enforce a fair price and affordable energy for all," tweeted "Don't Pay UK," an anonymous group spearheading the effort to have more than one million Brits boycott paying their power bill by Oct. 1.
Screen Shot 2022-08-07 at 1.02.57 PM.png
The strike comes as an inflation storm of high energy prices has obliterated household incomes. Brits are the most miserable in three decades as inflation is expected to hit 13%. And while Bank of England (BoE) Governor Andrew Bailey hiked interest rates the most in 27 years to tame inflation, risks are mounting of a recession.
On Oct. 1, the average household will pay almost £300 a month for power, the BoE warned. Couple surging power costs with negative real wage growth, and it becomes apparent households are being squeezed. This excludes soaring prices for shelter, food, and petrol at the pump -- this trend is unsustainable and could result in social instabilities.
British news outlet Glasgow Live said the strike is similar to the "action in the late 1980s and '90s to fight against the poll tax brought in by PM Margaret Thatcher. In protest, 17 million people refused to pay."
UK financial journalist and broadcaster Martin Lewis said this about the strike:
"I think I can categorise it more accurately now, the big movement that I am seeing is an increase of growth in people calling for a non-payment of energy bills, mass non-payment. Effectively a consumer strike on energy bills and getting rid of the legitimacy of paying that.
"We are getting close to a Poll Tax moment on energy bills coming into October and we need the Government to get a handle on that, because once it starts becoming socially acceptable not to pay energy bills people will stop paying energy bills and you're not going to cut everyone off."

The remainder of the story is at ZeroHedge at the link above​