• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Tucker steering wheel

mtmudrunner

GOLD Site Supporter
I have a 77 1744 that has the large steering wheel, I heard that some time in the early 80's they changed to a smaller one. Anyone know what wheel it is or what will work?
Thanks

mtmudrunner

GOLD Site Supporter
why go small, when you can spend BIG
Yep, I saw that on ebay a while back kind of crazy what people think stuff is worth , but a fool and his money.

Snowy Rivers

Always amazes me ....all the NOS goodies that are lurking in this world.....
Back last summer when I was sourcing bearings for the OC-12 in my cat....many were NOS from the 70's ...still in the original packaging.

Just tons of parts and pieces waiting to find somebody that wants them....

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
It doesn't need to be a stock one just something smaller so I have a little more room.
There used to be an old joke, now totally not correct, about why low riders cars had small steering wheels: So the driver could operate with hand cuffs on. And you want a smaller wheel why? :)

luvthemvws

How about we answer the op's question...
What steering column does a 1977 Tucker use? With that information they can select an appropriate Steering Wheel Adapter and then install one of the aftermarket 3-bolt-mount steering wheels (such as a Grant Products item) in whatever size or style they prefer. :)

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
Tucker used Char-Lynn brand components for the steering control valve (aka:"orbitrol") and steering column. I strongly suspect they sourced their steering wheels from Char-Lynn as well.

I think the original 17" diameter steering wheel is Char-Lynn/Eaton part number 209-1007.

I believe the part number for the later style steering wheel is 209-1022. The steering wheel is about 14" in diameter and the rim is thicker in cross section. Much nicer wheel, IMHO.

mtmudrunner

GOLD Site Supporter
Tucker used Char-Lynn brand components for the steering control valve (aka:"orbitrol") and steering column. I strongly suspect they sourced their steering wheels from Char-Lynn as well.

I think the original 17" diameter steering wheel is Char-Lynn/Eaton part number 209-1007.

I believe the part number for the later style steering wheel is 209-1022. The steering wheel is about 14" in diameter and the rim is thicker in cross section. Much nicer wheel, IMHO.
Thanks for the info, I'll see what I can find.

olympicorange

the ''steering wheel'' is merely a tool to which one holds onto,... as opposed to ''levers''..... to control ''direction'' .....

in reality , all one needs is a control ''lever'' , to go left or right,.. to control steering,..

just imagine all the room , in the operators station,.. but , .... what would one grab ahold of to enter the cockpit,..

not as much fun to operate a machine , without a wheel,.. quite boring,...

the advantages of hyds.,....

Casper6688

just resurrecting this post to get some opinions on a Tucker appropriate steering wheel . Other than N.O.S. which is seemingly impossible to find ( budget friendly ) what are others using ? The PO of my 442A used something from an old video game . 14" would be desirable as there isn't a lot of room between the wheel and my hockey player thighs ...lol

MP

PGBC

😁😁😁

Attachments

• images(1632).jpg
    images(1632).jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 40