• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Thunderbird for email

chowderman

been using Outlook in its various forms for decades.
works okay, but in today's spam world, has not kept up.
have utility that can read Outlook email files - so I'm in a position to dump Outlook and move on.

for anyone using Thunderbird,,,, does Thunderbird:
have the ability to "permanently delete" email(s) by subject line or sender word content - regardless is it is directed to Inbox or Spambox?

this is similar to the "block sender" option - regrets, for "blocked sender" Outlook just puts it in the spam folder.
regrets,,, Outlook "Rules" do not (imho) function properly.
if an email is identified as 'spam' it goes into the spam folder and no further system level or user level rules are applied.

example: someone in my high school 'group mail' got hacked, "Joe Blow" now sends spam 3-4x/week or 2-10/day . . .
every spam is from a different email address.
every spam has "Subj: Note from Joe Blow"
Outlook puts every spam of his in the spam folder and ceases all further rules/action.
I cannot put he spammer on my safe list (so my Rules would operate on the Inbox) because only email addresses can be added to the "Safe" list

I get constant spam for gutter products, Anderson Windows, etc. etc. and on and on . . . . that I cannot cause to be permanently deleted on receipt.
not interested in having to deal with them daily in the spam folder. . . .

ideas/thoughts/corrections to my mis-informed self?

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
PersonalDataGatherers.JPG

I would dump outlook for sure.
I dumped it years ago and have been using Thunderbird. Thunderbird has filters and can probably do most of what you listed but since I do not go to that degree of filtering I cannot say for sure. It easily filters on whatever you want, sender or subject and will move it wherever you say. Works like a charm.

chowderman

Doc - thanks for that. I'm not sure what kind of personal data I could offer Outlook - I press "New Mail" . . . no chats, IM's, etc...
I'll d/l Thunderbird and try the filtering.
Outlook does have the option to "Permanently Delete Junk Mail . . . " and I used that for a while - but... some valid stuff was flagged/deleted, which became a problem.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I used outlook for a long while and I was shocked to see it listed near the top of the most gathered information chart. Much like you I just used it for mail. Period. I suppose it could keep track of emails we read and respond to. Could it scan the emails for key words? It would be nice to know what data it does gather.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I decided to search to see what personal data outlook mines. Here is one of the links I found from microsoft.

What are Data Subject Rights (DSRs)?​

Microsoft is committed to giving customers transparency and control over their data. Data Subject Rights (DSRs) are the rights that individuals (or “data subjects”) have to view, correct, export, and delete personal data that companies hold about them. We have built controls into our products and services so you can see what personal data Microsoft has collected and you can make choices about that data.

What personal data does Microsoft collect about me?​

Microsoft collects data to help you do more. To do this, we use the data we collect to provide, improve, and develop our products and services, and to provide you with personalized experiences.

If you use products like Outlook.com, Skype, OneDrive, or Xbox, you likely have a personal Microsoft account. To access and delete data associated with these products, you can sign in to your account.

You can learn more about Microsoft and your privacy at privacy.microsoft.com. If you would like more detailed information about the data we collect, you can review the ‘Personal data we collect’ section of the Microsoft Privacy Statement.

How can I view and download personal data Microsoft holds about me?​

At Microsoft, we believe privacy starts with putting you in control of your data. Your privacy dashboard is the place where you can view and clear data that Microsoft saves to the cloud. This data includes your browsing and Bing search history, location data, apps and services activity, and more.

If you would like to view and update profile, contact, and security info, you can sign in to your Microsoft account.

If you have personal content that you want to view or download from Microsoft products, you can find tools within those products.

To access other data related to your Microsoft account, you can contact our privacy team. If you are having trouble signing in to your account, see Get help with your Microsoft account.

chowderman

I use the Office version of Outlook, but also web access to hotmail.etc. I did note some time back the 'your account' thing - went there, deleted all history, selected the option to "never remember anything" for my vaulted "MS Account."
does it work? no clue - and obviously MS isn't going to tell you they simply store your "info" someplace other than "Your Account"

the rules are incredibly simple: NEVER put anything on a computer you don't want made public.
sooner or later, everything gets hacked.