• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Snow trac st4 snow deflectors

3512b

GOLD Site Supporter
i have a few projects on my 2 cats to finish up for getting them ready for play time.
one of them is installing snow deflectors. these were on my first cat and thought to reproduce them for the machines i have now. As my shop is Vegan and no dinosaurs will be harmed in providing for my personal comfort and its -10 in my shop (out side)
I am postage this instead of working on them...... for anyone interested
they are a good idea to have help keeping the axle from snapping from over packed snow
more fun breaking them by hitting a stump....
don't ask me how i know.......:(

st53 resized b.jpg

Attachments

• snow deflectors 1.jpg
    snow deflectors 1.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 98
  • snow deflectors 2.jpg
    snow deflectors 2.jpg
    327.6 KB · Views: 97
  • snow deflectors 3.jpg
    snow deflectors 3.jpg
    307.1 KB · Views: 97

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Does your machine have ice scrapers on the drive sprockets?
Add those and you can be nearly worry free, as the keep ice from building up on the drive sprockets. :thumbup:
I have both snow chutes and scrapers. At speed it is like a boat some what as you can see the snow ejected by the chutes, like a boat wake beside the machine.

3512b

GOLD Site Supporter
ice scrapers yes another good idea, if you have some pictures that be be great
- 12 here this morning here they aint going to happen today.......:mad:
but a real good idea...thanks

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter

These are original parts installed in North American fashion. Originally they mounted behind the drivers to the axle housing. Wrapped around the sprockets then up form behind. This caused a ball of ice to developed surrounding the axle housing.
By adding a angle iron to the frame you can move them out away from the sprocket and the cuttings fall in the track line.
A must I think. They were originally for the Trac Masters btw. All should have them IMHO....

ROGI

Howdy,
Any other pics of comments for snow chutes? I am putting some in, homemade style. Was considering starting with plastic roll up snow sleds, cut to fit and temporarily wired up to see what happens. It looks likes some of these can ride in contact, and on top of, the bogies with no prob?
I also am building snow scrapers, welded to the frame, and adjustable. Scraper question: does the scraper generally ONLY need to scrape out the inside edges of the sprockets? Or should there be a “planer” between the scrapers to remove the middle of the spacer.

Here is the ugly mess I was doing my hard school learning on…

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Original scraper only scrapes the insides of the sprockets and are open in the middle.
I wish I had a detailed picture of my snow chutes to share. At the bottom I can tell you the shute bolts
to the last pair of boggies, the front one of the pair, to a stud welded on the wheel frame.
I really think they are a good idea. I am amazed at the snow I see rolling out the side of the machine in deep snow.
Reminds me of the wake a boat makes. On crusted snow you can easily see the ejected snow out side of your tracks.
It might even save a bit of power keeping the track line clean of snow as well.... ?.?.?
Makes sense it might.
I like the material you have chosen; it should work very well. Mine are old truck mudflaps lol...

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Interesting
Two band tracks on a big wheel three band machine.
The steel sprockets had better go. What will happen is they will wear into the grousers, and cause sharp edges that then tear up your tires.
Bronze is a sacrificial material that keeps your grousers from damage and wear.

ROGI

Interesting
Two band tracks on a big wheel three band machine.
The steel sprockets had better go. What will happen is they will wear into the grousers, and cause sharp edges that then tear up your tires.
Bronze is a sacrificial material that keeps your grousers from damage and wear.
Yes I was afraid of all that. So any sprockets out there for sale or am I foolish to even ask in the snow season?

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yes I was afraid of all that. So any sprockets out there for sale or am I foolish to even ask in the snow season?
If i were you, I would use the steel one for a pattern for cutting some out of UHMD plastic....
Quiter than bronze, and lasts for a good long time as well...

[IMG alt="redsqwrl"]https://www.forumsforums.com/data/avatars/m/5/5033.jpg?1604967498[/IMG]

redsqwrl

Bronze Member​

GOLD Site Supporter
This is for our very own JIM VT.

It finally failed. not sure of how many years were on it moose hunting in alaska before it came to ben in ID. Not sure how many hours he and his brother put on it,
BUT
I beat the hell out of this machine and will highly recommend the home built poly option. It is quiet, cheap and easy ( like me)

I put on a show doing donuts and some high speed drifting at the thursday lunch stop.

Friday I broke trail to the copper peak and felt it start to give up in the process of making tucker paths ( this is humor ) It drove out and will continue to be abused until it does not want to move anymore.

Attachments​

• jim vt.jpg
    jim vt.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 25

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Those have been on Mike;s Snow Trac for 10 years. And they are subbject to the abuse of a former rally driver.... :yankchain:

ROGI

Thank
s for the help I am soaking this info in
Those have been on Mike;s Snow Trac for 10 years. And they are subbject to the abuse of a former rally driver.... :yankchain:
GOOD INFO! UHMD plastic... off and running... Nice job redsqwrl !

QUESTION: Is it "UHMD" or "UHMW" PE ??

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
QUESTION: Is it "UHMD" or "UHMW" PE ??
That is a great question..... One I am sure that has an answer.
Plastic suppliers could be an asset. One good thing about the internet is they are easily found if you don't have any locally..

ROGI

That is a great question..... One I am sure that has an answer.
Plastic suppliers could be an asset. One good thing about the internet is they are easily found if you don't have any locally..
Thx I will post and share my scraper, chute, and sprocket progress, the steel sprockets are going away.

Snowy Rivers

UHMW....= Ultra High Molecular weigh or UHMW PE (Polyethylene)

A somewhat lesser compound.....HDPE....= High Density Polyethylene

UHMW is the good stuff......Used in industry for many things....Including chain race wear strips, bushings and a whole host of other parts

ROGI

UHMW....= Ultra High Molecular weigh or UHMW PE (Polyethylene)

A somewhat lesser compound.....HDPE....= High Density Polyethylene

UHMW is the good stuff......Used in industry for many things....Including chain race wear strips, bushings and a whole host of other parts
Ok great thanks