• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Rolling Blackouts

Tweeker

We have been hit with rolling blackouts and I have to say they are annoying, I have candles and flashlights and what not but it's really not a convenient system.
Today I decided to install an emergency lighting system in my house.
I am going to use a bank of three 12 volt marine deep cycle batteries connected to a set of 12 volt lights in and around the house, all maintained by a simple high duty battery charger.
Total cost around $400.00
Not a long term SHTF solution but it's not meant to be just want to make these Rolling Blackouts a little easier to handle.
Tweeker

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Is a generator within your budget? One of these days an earthquake is going to knock out your utilities for several days or weeks, and those batteries aren't going to last more than a day or so.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Welcome to the world of green energy and EPA regulations on fossil fuels!

BTW ........ $400 will get you a generator in the 3000 watt range!

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Is a generator within your budget? One of these days an earthquake is going to knock out your utilities for several days or weeks, and those batteries aren't going to last more than a day or so.

Ditto. Consider a generator.

If outages are typically very short (less than 24 hours, more commonly less than 12 hours) then the lower priced air cooled 4 cycle powered emergency generators should last you for many years of providing service.

If outages are typically 24+ hours at a time and frequent, then it seems like you may be better suited for a liquid cooled engine powering a back up power system.

Tweeker

A generator is in the near future, I don't like the ones from hong kong freight co.
I will need to put in a slab and housing for it plus wire it into the house
Thanks for the tips
Tweeker

SShepherd

"if" I lived in the city, and I had the time to save I'd buy one of the ultra quiet 3000w generators- honda.
they're about as loud as an AC unit and are very fuel efficient.
My main issue about being quiet with a generator, if noone thinks you have one, noone will want to steal it.
I understand the idea with sequential batteries, how long will they last ? what can they run.