• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Recommendations on multi-function printer

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have "what was" a good HP OfficeJet but it's been giving me false errors and won't print anymore. Grrrr. Also not liking the cost of their ink and their new, weird ink policy.

So, looking for a new printer/fax/scan... Pretty sure I won't use colored prints much but I should probably have a color printer.

Any recommendations, good or bad?

chowderman

some designs have a drum that eventually wears out - I had a l a lot of print quality issues as it aged.
(HP model)

the toner cartridge in other designs replaces everything - we've had much better service from those.
our current is a Canon MF644Cdw (MF=multlifunction, dw=network version)

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Canon MF644Cdw (MF=multlifunction, dw=network version)
I'll be damned. I have one tab open for a printer and it's that exact printer. Do you like it? I see it's wireless only (no ethernet or USB). Have you had any problems with that? Sometimes my computer via wireless can't find my HP printer so I use USB for scans.
One gripe I have about my HP is that if one of the color cartridges is empty it won't even let me print black only. Does your Canon work with black ink only?

chowderman

it's been the best of the bunch - I've tried the re-manufactured toners - they'll start smearing/etc. so I just close my eyes and buy OEM toners - the high capacity version.

mine is hooked to the router via ethernet - but it does do wireless, i.e. print directly from cell phone - there are separate drivers for scanning direct to computer. couldn't get it working on my notebook, then realized I had not installed those extra drivers....

typically we get many months of use after it complains about 'out of toner' - yes, you can bypass it... I routine bypass the warning line and wait until the print quality deteriorates.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have the cannon MG6600. Best most reliable printer I've ever owned. And cheap.
Ink replacement is also cheap comparatively. A quick search on Amazon did not find that model. I've had it 7+ years I'd guess.

Edit to add: I only use it via wifi. I do have to reset the router once in awhile to make the connection but that is rare.
If one ink runs out it does not print. But a whole box of 7 or 10 replacements each is less than 50 bucks. The first box lasted me to late last year.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
My memory is not the best. I bought the first box of replacement ink cartriges in 2018. Last Oct i puchased my 2nd box.
On amazon: A whole lot less than 50 bucks. LOL 17.09

Inkjetcorner Compatible Ink Cartridges Replacement for use with MX920 iX6820 MG5620 MG6620 MG5622 MG6600 iP7220 Printer (4 Big Black 4 Small Black 4 Cyan 4 Magenta 4 Yellow, 20-Pack)​

Brand: Inkjetcorner
4.6 out of 5 stars 2,151 ratings

| 93 answered questions

Amazon'sChoicein Inkjet Printer Ink Cartridges by Inkjetcorner

Price:$17.09 ($0.85 / Co