• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

picked up another project -2

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
IMG_6199.jpg
IMG_6263.jpg
IMG_6267.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_6266.jpg
    IMG_6266.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_6266.jpg
    IMG_6266.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 26

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
A few weeks back I picked up this 1970 Dodge D100 pickup.
I bought it because I eventually would get one and this one is highly optioned for the year with A/C.
It drives and runs very good with its current 318 2v and auto transmission.
I bought in in Carson city NV, and drove it home over 9000' mountain passes pushing late model cars and trucks both up and down hill
it drives very well, there is very little rust on the body as well, being a desert truck. I had been watching it for some time on craigslist and when the priced dropped to $3800.00 I called the seller and negotiated it down to $3500.00 on the phone, pending inspection. It passed inspection and here we are. Being an out of state vehicle that over 25 years old the DMV is requiring a light and brake inspection to complete the registration.
I called an auto repair shop in Lodi that does it and found that all the lights have to work including any marker lights, back up lights and license plate light. As well as there can be no missing or cracked lenses.
When I got it the left turn signal was stuck on, so the first order was to pull the steering wheel and see what is wrong. The turn signal switch was destroyed.
Luckily I found the turn signal switch replacement and all the new lenses I need on Ebay for a couple hundred$$$. When it shows up and I get everything working I can make the appointment to get the inspection done.
This truck will eventually get the 4cylinder Cummins I picked up with a 700r4 for a transmission. I plan to drive it with the 318 while I round up a transmission and rebuild the diesel. Plan is for it to be a daily driver that is a full sized pickup that gets in the high 30's in mpg. Don't care about towing with it, that what the power wagon with the 6bt will be for. Fuel prices will do nothing but go up from here.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
At some time someone put aluminum radiator in it along with an electric fan, when I drove it home from Nevada I noticed at stop lights it started to get warmer. When I got home I checked it out and the fan was shot. I really don't like electric fans anyway so I stole the fan from the power wagon project as it will only be driven into the shop to get the Body, engine and trans removed. I put short bolts into the water pump pulley so I can move it. The fan spacer is 2" and put the fan slightly into the radiator, with no spacer the blades hit the bottom hose. I ordered a 1" spacer from Ebay that should be just right.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
The blinker switch showed up as well as the 2 front blinker/ running light lenses for the front. After working today I installed the switch and the lenses. The switch wires has the pin connectors that lock into the old plug, you have to carefully remove the old wires and install your new ones. Had to drop the column to get the cover off to pull the wire through. Someone added spacers to lower the column at some point, I removed that and went back to factory height. After everything was done I tested it and the blinker that was stuck on, didn't work WTF, after checking it out with a multimeter, I had no power coming through the wire, the other side worked fine as well as the rear?? Checked the plug and found my old eyes let me put one of the pin connectors in the wrong slot in the plug. Put it where it goes and wala everything works. I have to pick up some single pole bulbs for the backup and license plate light to see if they work.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
fan spacer and the side marker lights showed up today, I put the fan on with the new spacer and took it for a drive. the weather was a little hot to install the side marker lights. That can happen tomorrow.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Today after the grind, I put the side marker lights in and a couple wire repairs later they work.
Put bulbs in the backup lights and they worked so I put the new lenses covers on,
Adjusted the E-brake and it works.
put a fuse in for the emergency flashers and they work.
The only thing left is the license plate light, there is power there but the socket with the spring loaded contact assembly is shot, I just ordered a new one. When it shows up, its the last repair that needs to be done to get the light and brake inspection to finish the registration.
Recap of repairs so far: restored mechanical fan and got rid of the broken electric one, all new lenses except tail lights, fuses, lots of bulbs, new turn signal switch in the steering column and some wiring repairs. After the registration is completed, I plan to buy some retro look 20" wheels and tires for it and call it good until I put the little Cummins in it. I have the Cummins B3.3 that needs freshening and locate an build a 4l80E with a stand alone controller. It runs and drives fine for now, I will leave it in patina until I do the engine swap then pretty it up.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Today the last piece of the puzzle showed up ( license plate light assembly). It is generic so I canabalized the pieces I needed and used the OE housing so it still looks OE. I put a fuse in the flashers and they work, I put a fuse in the horn and all the driving lights stopped working, took the fuse out and they work again. WTF something else to figure out. At least I can get the light and brake inspection done and complete the registration.