• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

OC-12 rear end heating up

caldonia

Have been grooming my sleigh trail with a Spryte 1200 for tha last few years. It runs well and has given me few problems. Lately I have been noticing the rear end temp gauge pushing past the 200 degree mark. Today was a warm day in Jackson Hole, 30 degrees plus and my rear end temp gauge hit 250. I stopped and let it cool down. There is a sticker on the gauge that says to keep it under 200 degrees. What do you guys have to say about this.

The rear end is full with tractor oil. When I put it in it is a fairly clear oil but when it comes out it is purple. What's up with this?

Thanks in advance for helping out a rookie.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I don't have much to add other than Are you hanging on the sticks. Make your turn and hands off until you need to correct tragectory again. do you have some free play in the sticks.

Ring and pinion set up.? (too tight makes heat)

brake free play? (dragging brakes make heat)

Is the gauge electric gauge? could be shorting out and giving a false number do you have a infared temp tester to verify the HOT reading? at 250 snow should be boiling off of it.

Mike

caldonia

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes there is some free play in the sticks and the cat tends to drift to the right so I am usually pulling left stick to compensate but I have been doing that for the last three years and only have the high temps on warm days on a soft track. Doesn't seem to heat up on fresh snow. What about the color change in fluid? Is this normal?

What do I need to adjust to keep the cat from drifting to the right?

tomelroy

Adjust brake bands. tighten adjustment bolt to 200 INCH lbs, then back off 1.5 turns (both bands). Check track tension, right track may be tighter than left track..also check wheel bearings.

Peterson Equipment recommends 5-30 full synthetic motor oil for the oc-12 with aux. hydraulics (plow, etc) iso 32 without. 32 is a 10w oil, Tractor oil is usually a iso 32 or 46. 46 is a 20w, but some are better than others for the oc12. fresh snow is less work on the diff. So any problem will be magnified in hard pack.

Jess

i haul a lot of weight with my 1200 and had to put a pump with a cooler on it to keep it cool. i placed the cooler above the left track so the snow gets thrown up and onto the cooler, it stays somewhat cooler now. if im not hauling anything it stays around 130-150

caldonia

The tempurature problems in the rear end continues to haunt me so I drained the rear end and put in new tractor oil. Would like to switch to the synthetic 5w30 motor oil but can't get all the oil out of the system. This cat has a plow. How do I go about draining, cleaning, flushing the entire system so I can upgrade my fluid. Is there a bleeder valve that will allow the entire hydrolic system to drain out through the rear end?

I drained out about 3 gallons of oil. Can't find any info on the capacity of this system but I believe that it is quite a bit more than 3 gallons.

Any advice is welcome.

Dick

your hydraulic oil is seperate from your diff oil I have a 2100 w/cooler and one w/o cooler when we drag trails we have to put snow on the one w/o cooler the other one just gets worm to the touch aprox 130deg we try to keep the one w/o cooler about 175deg maybe someone has a cooler of a oc12 that you can install on yours