• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Nuclear war

DampCharcoal

I think it's possible that a terrorist organization could light a nuke in any given metro area but the prospect of a full scale exchange doesn't really exist any more, thank God. As far as a pandemic goes, I really don't think that's a serious threat either. Remember Mad Cow and SARS? They were huge in the media but turned out to be a non-story.

Just my thoughts.

Glenn9643

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
jdwilson44 said:
There are a lot of the preparedness type stuff that people look on as a little bit weird nowadays - but 30-40 years ago people just thought was common sense. Having enough food on hand to last a couple of weeks used to be something a lot of people did back when a bad snowstorm here in New England could close down the roads for days and you might not get out shopping for a couple of weeks. Nowadays we have become so conditioned to just being able to get what we want when we want it that nobody thinks too far ahead. But as people found out in New Orleans and the surrounding area - that whole civilization infrastructure thing can fall apart pretty quickly. So it does pay to be at least somewhat prepared. I think if you do this right it does not have to be a huge imposition on your everyday life. Stocking up on canned and dry foods that you normally eat anyway and then rotating thru the stock isn't a huge distraction from most people's everyday life. Having some large containers around to store a decent amount of water in can be done pretty cheaply - just get a bunch of rubbermaid containers with lids - or trash cans. They can be stacked to store easily and pulled out when the time comes. It is the people in the cities that have it the worst. They usually have no real way to prepare because they just dont have the space. Living in the suburbs or the country is much better as far as preparing to survive a calamity.
My father was a child during the depression years, and often said that he never knew it until he was an adult.
He was raised on a 125 acre farm and they produced most of what they required. At that time most of the USA was rural and there were many more small farms active than today.
An event such as that being speculated here would make the depression look like Sunday school.
Can you imagine the scenario after a few weeks without life as we are accustomed?
A few people living the rural life could survive and perhaps provide enough leadership and education to others to help them along, but how long would it be before they were threatened by the throngs from the cities who had nothing and along with that, no knowledge of how to make do?
It would be one hell of a mess.
I can live off the land if need be; I can get by without electricity if I must. And I've had a pretty good stock of ammunition in my closet for years that I rotate through and replenish like JD says for canned goods. We have no idea what might happen, but should be prepared for the worst as well as the best.

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
Glenn9643 said:
My father was a child during the depression years, and often said that he never knew it until he was an adult.
He was raised on a 125 acre farm and they produced most of what they required. At that time most of the USA was rural and there were many more small farms active than today.
An event such as that being speculated here would make the depression look like Sunday school.
Can you imagine the scenario after a few weeks without life as we are accustomed?
A few people living the rural life could survive and perhaps provide enough leadership and education to others to help them along, but how long would it be before they were threatened by the throngs from the cities who had nothing and along with that, no knowledge of how to make do?
It would be one hell of a mess.
I can live off the land if need be; I can get by without electricity if I must. And I've had a pretty good stock of ammunition in my closet for years that I rotate through and replenish like JD says for canned goods. We have no idea what might happen, but should be prepared for the worst as well as the best.

Now thats the kind of real world answers that make sense!!!:applause:
You get some points for that!!!