• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Nuclear war

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
Are you worried about full blown war??? What are you doing to prepare for it??? :hide: I saw this thread in another forum and was very surprised at the answers that were written, and steps that are taken?? Please be serious.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Good question. I am concerned about things escalating in the Middle east. I have taken no precautions related to a full blown war, unless gathering a few guns would be seen as preparing.
I can't seriously imagine that congress would ever enact a law to prevent us from owning firearms ....but, just in case they do, I have pursued getting what firepower I want now......just in case I can't later.

jdwilson44

When you say full blown nuclear war what are thinking of? If you are thinking of the type of nuclear war we used to imagine when the Soviet Union and US had the Cold War going - I don't think so, at least not until the world takes a more serious turn for the worse.

If you are talking about some group - or government - detonating nuclear warheads in US cities - or nuclear dirty bombs in US cities - then I think that is possible - but I honestly don't know what the likelihood is.

I think it is entirely likely that either terrorist groups - or governments that are not our friends - possess nuclear weapons. From all of the evidence North Korea has detonated a nuclear weapon. We also know that North Korea always needs money - Arab oil states possess copious amounts of money - do the math. I have also read that when the Soviet Union broke up nuclear weapons went missing. By some of the reports I have read the missing Soviet nukes were suitcase bombs - but they need maintainence - so they may not work any more. From everything I have read it is entirely possible that a nuclear dirty bomb could be constructed. There is also a heavy Islamic presence in areas of Africa where uranium is mined - another way terrorists or governments might get hold of radioactive material.

I have also read numerous reports that persons of Arab and other non-Mexican heritage have been caught sneaking across the US-Mexico border. The reports I read said some of these people paid up to $50,000 to get smuggled into this country - again do the math. Why would you pay $50,000 to get smuggled into this country when the going rate for a Mexican is something like $1500 - $5000? Especially when you consider it would take quite a long time to make that money back if you were just coming here to work. You pay $50,000 when you positively don't want to get caught.

So you have the distinct possibility of nuclear weapons of some form existing in the hands of people who may want to use them on us - and the verified cases of persons of likely terrorist origin getting smuggled across our southern borders. Again - do the math.

The real question is WHY would some group or government do this on US soil? Terrorists like Al Quaeda might do it just to make a statement. Bin Laden has made statements something like an equal number of Americans must die to make up for the numbers of Muslims that have died. A nuke would be one effective way of doing that. A country like Iran might do it to us - but I personally do not believe that they would commit terrorist acts of this magnitude on US soil - unless we attacked them first. Which from all news accounts the US appears to be gearing up to do.

Everybody prepares for this differently - some people always have a survival pack with them or in their car - and they stockpile a certain amount of food and water to ride out a couple week period when everything might be screwed up. Other people stick their head in the sand and say it can never happen here. I think a lot of this depends on where you physically live. If you live in a major city you are much more likely to have something like this happen to you than somebody who lives out in the plains of South Dakota.

I live about 20 miles outside of Boston - which is in my opinion probably on the short list of places where something like this might happen. My biggest fear is not getting killed by a nuke or a dirty bomb - but the after effects of that. Since terrorists would likely be detonating a nuke or dirty bomb on the ground I probably would not be exposed to any blast effects this far out. Radiation is a worry - but I think the prevailing winds would carry most of it out to sea. In my opinion the biggest worry would be the massive amounts of people who would be in exodus out of the city. Massachusetts is a pretty liberal state - and Boston is particularly so. You can bet most of these people are completely ignorant of keeping themselves alive outside of a city environment. The way I look at it my biggest worry in the end is protecting my own property and any supplies I have from being looted by those who have not bothered to think ahead at all. Like what happened in New Orleans you can bet that police and fire would be totally overwhelmed and for things like stopping looters I would be on my own.

For a few years after 9/11 I did not worry about this so much - the more and more I have paid attention to the Mideast situation the more I think this is possible now though. I got fully licensed in MA for firearms carry and possesion last year - and am slowly working on building up my firearms inventory with what I think is appropriate. I have also tried convincing my wife that we need to be more prepared but she just doesn't have the same level of concern I do - so I can't say we are fully prepared as of yet although we could probably ride out a week or so with what we have on hand.

If you search online you will find quite a lot about this subject. You can get radiation detectors, water purifiers, medical kits, survival guns, etc. It all makes for interesting reading although you have to be careful about dropping into paranoia sometimes.

Out of curiosity what was the other forum you were reading where people were discussing this? I am always curious to read what people are saying about this kind of stuff.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
My California home is 20 mile from a major air base . If I am here when it happens I doubt I will ever know it . I will be a "fat speck" of dust ,loating in the air :confused: !!!

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I'm barely prepared for any natural disaster. One day at a time. I'll see how resourceful I can be when/if the time comes.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Twice a week I spend an hour or so practicing throwing rocks and banging on the ground with a big stick.

I'm also going to schedule some quality time with a few apes at the zoo, so that they know I am not just some stupid human who needs a stun collar when I am in a work crew.

daedong

OkeeDon said:
I'm trying to picture individual Americans fighting against nuclear weapons with popguns...
:yum::yum:

I am building one of these. It is a pumpkin catapult, as we have no rocks close by I grow and store pumpkins for ammo[FONT=&quot].
05.jpg

[/FONT]

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
Ok I think we are getting way off subject???? I was talking bomb shelters storing food ect??? You guys are not near as scared as the other forum!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ironman

I'm not doing anything to prepare and I don't think we are going to get nuked anytime soon. I am VERY amazed that we haven't had any dirty bombs go off in New York city - or any suicide bombers blow up in a mall somewhere here in the USA yet. I am building a new house so if they do send one my way please aim for the bank.

mbsieg said:
You guys are not near as scared as the other forum!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Maybe we have bigger b*lls here? BTW, now that you mention it, what other forum?

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
mbsieg said:
Ok I think we are getting way off subject???? I was talking bomb shelters storing food ect??? You guys are not near as scared as the other forum!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back in '99, a friend of mine was out in his driveway having a smoke and watching his neighbor unload cases of water and instant noodles from her car, and store them in her garage. Curious, he ambled over to chat, and asked her what she was doing with all that stuff. She said she was preparing for Y2K. He just kind of gave her a blank stare. She then asked him what he was doing to plan for the impending crisis. He looked at her and deadpanned "I have guns, and I know where you keep all your stuff." She got all bug eyed, and ran in the house after that.

BoneheadNW

Say you make it through the first 2 weeks with your emergency supplies. What will you do next? Dirty bomb or just plain nuclear fallout will last what, several thousand years? Who was it that said, "I'm going to go outside, bend my knees, grab my ankles, and kiss my sweet ass goodbye"?
Bonehead

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
DaveNay said:
He looked at her and deadpanned "I have guns, and I know where you keep all your stuff." She got all bug eyed, and ran in the house after that.

:yum: :yum: :yum: :yum: :yum: :yum: :yum: :yum: :yum:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
My bunker is almost all set. I do need to get the fan for the CBR (chemical/biological/radiation) filter running though.

I would need a little time to finish stocking up and move everything in.

Although I have the bunker, I'm not anticipating any large-scale nuclear war.

jdwilson44

mbsieg said:

What is this other forum you referred to?

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
I did not say I was a member I was surfing one night and came across it and many other sights it was one I remembered...

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
I just thought it would be neat to see normal peoples opinion??? Is anyone here normal????

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
mbsieg said:
I just thought it would be neat to see normal peoples opinion??? Is anyone here normal????

Of course I'm normal....it's everyone else that is messed up. :D

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
:confused2: I was just joking their are so many people out their that are sooooooo far in the outfield it is unreal.... Like raising the speeding limit will slow people down????:confused2: :hide: :yankchain:

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
Youre damn right Im afraid. Not to the point Im doing anything about it. But between Iran, Russia, N. Korea and China (among others) Im not very comfortable. :wall:

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
Deadly Sushi said:
Youre damn right Im afraid. Not to the point Im doing anything about it. But between Iran, Russia, N. Korea and China (among others) Im not very comfortable. :wall:

Finally a truthfull answer, I agree I think we should all be concerned.... I sometimes think the world is going:toilet:

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yes, that is something along the same lines to think about. When was it that the CDC said everyone should have enough plastic and duct tape to seal their house up?? I am not scared by any means but being prepared is a completely different thing...

jdwilson44

There are a lot of the preparedness type stuff that people look on as a little bit weird nowadays - but 30-40 years ago people just thought was common sense. Having enough food on hand to last a couple of weeks used to be something a lot of people did back when a bad snowstorm here in New England could close down the roads for days and you might not get out shopping for a couple of weeks. Nowadays we have become so conditioned to just being able to get what we want when we want it that nobody thinks too far ahead. But as people found out in New Orleans and the surrounding area - that whole civilization infrastructure thing can fall apart pretty quickly. So it does pay to be at least somewhat prepared. I think if you do this right it does not have to be a huge imposition on your everyday life. Stocking up on canned and dry foods that you normally eat anyway and then rotating thru the stock isn't a huge distraction from most people's everyday life. Having some large containers around to store a decent amount of water in can be done pretty cheaply - just get a bunch of rubbermaid containers with lids - or trash cans. They can be stacked to store easily and pulled out when the time comes. It is the people in the cities that have it the worst. They usually have no real way to prepare because they just dont have the space. Living in the suburbs or the country is much better as far as preparing to survive a calamity.

I think daedong has it right - a pandemic might be the thing we should really be worried about. It is probably less controllable than the likelihood of nuclear war - and more likely to happen. Humans in general are not suicidal - therefore the likelihood of nuclear war is probably less than the likelihood of a pandemic - which has happened to humans multiple times before - and only relies on the ability of a disease to mutate and start spreading rapidly.