• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

New from the Chi

MsLet

:xmas: hello everyone, I'm new to this forum thing so any tips on do's & don'ts is appreciated. I'm here because I was browsing thru, i saw that there is definitely a wide range of topics on here to help me pass the time. Btw, I'n in the Windy City-where we just got a decent size snowfall dumped on us last nite. but hey, what's winter in Chicago without some of that purrty white stuff = )

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Welcome MsLet. There isn't much for rules around here. Just come often and post often. Love to hear what you have to say.

murph

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Just like sitting round the campfire here!!

Welcome and enjoy!

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Heya there MsLet! There are a couple of other members from the greater Chicago area. B_Skurka is from north west Indiana, and I am located west of Chicago in the DeKalb area.

Enjoy rummaging through the asylum!

MsLet

Thank you for your warm welcomes! Good to know there's some local folk on here, lol. Looking forward to gettin to hear everyone's POV & express mine as well........

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
MsLet said:
Thank you for your warm welcomes! Good to know there's some local folk on here, lol. Looking forward to gettin to hear everyone's POV & express mine as well........

Just don't let the one sided bigots get to you... :blahblah:
Mr. Junkman

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Welcome aboard MsLet!!
MsLet said:
to hear everyone's POV
Pardon us old guys who don't know but what do you mean by POV?

Where I came from, POV = Privately Owned Vehicle but that's from my military days.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Welcome MSlet. Glad you found our little corner on the internet.
Enjoy and post often.

BC, think POINT OF VIEW!!!!!!

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Doc said:
BC, think POINT OF VIEW!!!!!!
Oops.:hide:

When God was passing out "brains", I thought he said "trains" so I said "no thank you":pat:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
OK, as if my foot wasn't far enough in my mouth...

"New from the Chi".

What/where is Chi?

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
bczoom said:
OK, as if my foot wasn't far enough in my mouth...

"New from the Chi".

What/where is Chi?

Good grief man! Are you drunk or stoned tonight?!

Look at MsLet's location (or my reply). :pat:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
DaveNay said:
Good grief man! Are you drunk or stoned tonight?!

Look at MsLet's location (or my reply). :pat:
... as I crawl under my rock...

Sorry. I never heard of "Chi". Since we have so many international members, I thought the member was from another counry.

PS. Gave up on stoned years ago so I'll go with drunk.:burp:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
:yum: :yum:

You sure gave me a good laugh tonight Brian. I thought cuba when i first saw CHI :hide:

Is CHI the 3 letter designation for OHare? Somehow Columbus OH is CMH.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Doc said:
Is CHI the 3 letter designation for OHare?
Nope.

ORD = O'Hare

Been there but have no idea as to why ORD?

Ornary Resident Destination?

Nothing personal...

MsLet

Hey guys! OK, I said "from the Chi" as in Chi-town;pronounced Shy Town. Sorry if it set off some confusion & I've always been curious myself as to wth ORD is all about?? But Doc-CUBA-huh?? Fill me in please. Oh, & yes POV = point of view. I'm actually just getting hip to all these abbreviated forms myself..........

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
MsLet said:
Sorry if it set off some confusion
Don't worry about the confusion. Some of us are just a little slower than others.

Hey Doc, I'm wondering how you came up with Cuba myself (although it's probably somehwat obvious and I'll have to smack my head again...) Damn, no wonder why I always have a headache.:pat:

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
bczoom said:
Nope.

ORD = O'Hare

Been there but have no idea as to why ORD?

Ornary Resident Destination?

Nothing personal...

The original airport located at the current location of O'hare airport was Orchard Field. The ORD designation comes from this original name.

Orchard Field was renamed O'hare International Airport in 1949 in commemoration of [FONT=Verdana,Arial]Lt. Cmdr. Edward "Butch" O'Hare, a WWII ace pilot.[/FONT]

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
DaveNay said:
Orchard Field.
Sorry Dave but that sounds like an oxymoron... Which is it, an orchard or a field?
Don't think I'd want to land an aircraft in either. Especially if coming in heavy.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
bczoom said:
Sorry Dave but that sounds like an oxymoron... Which is it, an orchard or a field?
Don't think I'd want to land an aircraft in either. Especially if coming in heavy.
If you have Google Earth, here is an interesting set of overlay images I did showing Orchard Field from the late 1930's vs todays O'hare Airport. If you adjust the slider for the transparency of the pictures, you can see how it has changed from farm land (and an orchard :D) to a whole lot of concrete.

O'hare Airport image overlays

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
bczoom said:
Don't worry about the confusion. Some of us are just a little slower than others.

Hey Doc, I'm wondering how you came up with Cuba myself (although it's probably somehwat obvious and I'll have to smack my head again...) Damn, no wonder why I always have a headache.:pat:

Chi was a rebel leader in Cuba. He was a freedom fighter before Castro came along, and he even helped Castro get into power. Once in power Castro turned on Chi.

So, Chi reminded me of Cuba ....
Don't worry BC .....I get those headaches too. :D