• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

LMC 1500 track removal and tire replacement

tahoesnowcat

I'm a new LMC 1500 snowcat owner and looking for a guide to take off/on the tracks to replace two front tires. I don't really know where to start. Can anyone share some reading material, guides, tips, tools to buy, etc?

techno57

I'm a new LMC 1500 snowcat owner and looking for a guide to take off/on the tracks to replace two front tires. I don't really know where to start. Can anyone share some reading material, guides, tips, tools to buy, etc?

Your best bet would be to purchase a manual for $35 bucks from Dan at http://www.snowcatservice.com. He took over the LMC parts line from Peterson equipment years ago. Track jacks can cost nearly $1000 and you may be able to find a pair somewhere on the web or loaners in this forum.
You'll find all the info you need for your particular model, either Ford or Chrysler in the manual.

Has anyone tried an old school fence stretcher for a track jack? Goldenrod is the brand I am familiar with. $35-40 at your local Farm & Ranch type store, so less than $100 a pair.
Also I think I saw on the sight where someone with some welding skill had made track jacks out of old bumper jacks.
I have a pair of track jacks for my Thiokol TrackMaster that I can post pictures of if that helps!

alryA

Has anyone tried an old school fence stretcher for a track jack? Goldenrod is the brand I am familiar with. $35-40 at your local Farm & Ranch type store, so less than $100 a pair.
Also I think I saw on the sight where someone with some welding skill had made track jacks out of old bumper jacks.
I have a pair of track jacks for my Thiokol TrackMaster that I can post pictures of if that helps!
That might work. Maybe use 2 of them? The bully built ones I used were kind of crappy.

Last edited:

vintagebike

A few pieces from an old scissors jack, some c-channel, 12" of 2" square steel plus a few hours of fab and a mig welder and you're all set. 1985 LMC1500 track jack shown.

Attachments

• AB5E28BC-B41C-46D5-94DC-0CF53F576166.jpeg
    AB5E28BC-B41C-46D5-94DC-0CF53F576166.jpeg
    446.6 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:

tahoesnowcat

Thanks for the tip! Will give this a try first and then move on to more expensive options.

tahoesnowcat

I ended up getting a pair of track jacks, but still unsure how to use them. I checked the LMC manual, but I don't see any reference to taking off tracks. Does anyone have some quick directions on how to use the track jacks?

alryA

I don't have a photo for you but I'll try describe there use to you. Open them up lots, then slide them onto two cleats with the belt joint is under it. The jack should be close to center of the tracks width, if you are using one. Now tighten up the jack which will pull the cleats together and remove any stress on the joint or clamp you want to disassemble.. Make any sense?

tahoesnowcat

I don't have a photo for you but I'll try describe there use to you. Open them up lots, then slide them onto two cleats with the belt joint is under it. The jack should be close to center of the tracks width, if you are using one. Now tighten up the jack which will pull the cleats together and remove any stress on the joint or clamp you want to disassemble.. Make any sense?
That does help. Thank you! I'll give it a try.