• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Lawn Tractor battery costs have gone UP UP UP

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Needed a new battery for the Ventrac lawn tractor. Figured it would be about $65, give or take a bit.

My lawn tractor takes a fairly large battery, but still, it's basically a lawn tractor.

With TAX and a credit for core-trade in on my old battery, price was $208.

WTF, I thought the gubmint said this "inflation" was only 'transitory' and would not last?

:furious: :argueing: :angry:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Dang Bob. That must be some special battery.
I pay $49-69 for small engine batteries (mowers, ATVs...)
I think I paid about $150 for a good Deka battery for one of my cars with a V-6.
I was told to expect to pay $250 for a new battery for my Silverado.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
It's a small automotive battery. I was freaking shocked at the prices. Seems to be over-sized for a lawn tractor!!! The old battery was dated April 2019, so I clearly got my use out of that thing. But damn.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The old battery was dated April 2019, so I clearly got my use out of that thing.
Did you though? That's only 5 years. To me, that's darn near still in warranty period.
I can't think of the last battery I had that didn't make it at least 10 years.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I consider 4 years to be an actually lifespan of a lead/acid battery, anything beyond that is bonus time. So I'm not unhappy with 5 years.

Maybe lead acid batteries have improved and my frame of reference is bad.

My dad used to change his car batteries every 3-4 years.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Correction - the aforementioned car battery was $230. The receipt says it has a 5-year warranty so I'm thinking battery life-span has increased.
I do keep spare batteries on tenders. If a vehicle isn't going to be used for a week or two, it too goes on a tender.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Apparently it is not limited to tractor batteries.

Buddy of mine just put a new battery in his Road Glide. $228 with tax/core trade. He replaced a 2 year old battery that cost him $142.

J5 Bombardier

Don't know what the markets doing , I just bought 2 legend group 65 batterys from Napa (uap) , total came to 455.00 Can , so that's around 333.00 US for 2, 825 CCA batts . I'm a firm believer in kill switches on the equipment and tenders on vehicles that sit alot.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Don't know what the markets doing , I just bought 2 legend group 65 batterys from Napa (uap) , total came to 455.00 Can , so that's around 333.00 US for 2, 825 CCA batts . I'm a firm believer in kill switches on the equipment and tenders on vehicles that sit alot.
FWIW, the new battery is a 500CCA battery. Same code as the old battery, same size. Old battery only had 450CCA.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
I won't buy anything but Optima, Lead acid have gotten to be nearly as expencive and I have a red top that is still gong strong thats 10 years old.