• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

government speed control by GPS

chowderman

talk about over-reach . . .

"The NTSB is calling on the federal government to start incentivizing carmakers to put smart speed limiter systems in new cars.
The speed limiter program works through telematics.
Stored data on local speed limits is cross-referenced with a car’s GPS position."

my bold....
if you have/use a GPS, you know how this is going to end . . .

Lenny

SUPER Site Supporter
They can't find murderers, drug dealers, rapists, theives, illegal aliens and other vicious criminals but they have time for THIS?!?!?!

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter

"The NTSB is calling on the federal government to start incentivizing carmakers to put smart speed limiter systems in new cars.
Stored data on local speed limits is cross-referenced with a car’s GPS position."

my bold....
THIS is why I drive old trucks and cars.

chowderman

it's pure insanity.
I have/use - if in just 'monitor mode' - a late model Garmin. it has speed display, it blinks red/beeps if you are over the limit.
the beeps I had to turn off - if I could set it for (example) warn at 10 over I would consider using it - but that's not an option.
it really rather frequently does not know what the limit is, it is always 30 seconds behind the sign you just passed, it does not know about 'construction zone speed limit 45' stuff, driving an interstate through urban areas, the speed limits change up/down every couple miles - like anyone pays any attention to that - and the GPS is most always wrong.

no different than the AI-no-driver cars mirage thinking.
such stuff only works in very restricted circumstances. a self-driving taxi is utterly useless in a snow storm - it's blind(ed) to it's surroundings - the trick is not to be inside one when it misses a turn because the center/edge lines are covered with snow and it goes over the cliff.

SanFran is doing a trial with no driver cabs - only after dark i.e. no traffic. the promo video shows a driverless stuck in a traffic circle. it stops, puts on the four way flashers, because it can't figure out how to get across traffic to exit the circle. the riders reported multiple instances where the driving scared them . . . you can't make this stuff up - they do it to themselves.
the 'scare' stuff I can sorta' understand - the computer+sensors can much faster evaluate the "timing to miss" and react much much faster than humans....

another group tried to do driver less across NYC. about every other block they had to take manual control because the driver less AI was fixing to do a head-on collision, etc etc etc.

they haven't even got the raw soup in the can yet.

the NTSB run by a bunch of pinheads who don't own a car, take the Metro to all the places inside their bubble, have not clue as to the real world. but think on it . . . their ueber regulation will lead to booming economic sectors focusing on defeating the breathalyzers and speed controllers , , , so there is that.

tommu56

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter

my bold....
just wrap it in aluminum foil no gps and no speed restriction

those tinfoil hats are really going to be a fad soon;)