• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Counterfeit UL Markings/Dangerous Products

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
This is not exactly a Home Improvement Project, but I get notices every so often from UL on counterfeit UL listed products. Junkman suggested I post links to them. But, they don't come as links so I have to post the whole message. I hope this does not take up too much server space. If it does, just let me know.

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Underwriters Laboratories Inc. is notifying consumers and retailers that the two sets of decorative lighting strings identified below may pose a shock or fire hazard.

Name of product: Decorative Lighting Strings

Model Number: ZG1002
Company Name: Zhejiang Zhuguang Electric Group Linhai Festival Lanterns Corporation

Model Number: CGD-100/2F
Company Name: Cheung Hing Decorative Lights Company. Ltd.

Units: Unknown quantity

Manufacturers:

Zhejiang Zhuguang Electric Group
Linhai Festival Lanterns Corp.
Donggeheng Town
Xiajie Village
Linhai, Zhejiang 317005 China

Cheung Hing Decorative Lights Co. Ltd.
Room 1212, 12th Floor, Blk. B
Hunghom Commercial Centre
37 Ma Tau Wai Rd. Hung Hom
Kowloon, Hong Kong

Hazard: These products have features that do not comply with UL's applicable safety standard which may result in overheating or exposure of live parts. This poses a risk of electric shock and fire hazard to users of the products.

Date of manufacture: Unknown

Identification:

On the product: Two marking tags are attached to the decorative lighting strings near the plug. One tag is holographic and includes the UL Mark. The other tag is white and includes a CAUTION marking, the model number, UL file number and electrical ratings. The model numbers and UL file numbers are:

Model Number: ZG1002
UL File Number: E167352

Model Number: CGD-100/2F
UL File Number: E216945

To view photos of the product, visit http://www.ul.com/media/newsrel/nr012306.html

What you should do: UL recommends that users stop using the products immediately and return them to the place of purchase.

For more information, contact Joe Hirschmugl in Northbrook, Ill., by phone at +1-847-664-1508; or by e-mail at Joseph.F.Hirschmugl@us.ul.com.

You received this e-mail because you voluntarily subscribed to the "ULtimate Email" mailing list. If you would like to unsubscribe from this complimentary message service, please respond to this message with the word "unsubscribe" in the subject header. Thank you.

- For more information about UL, its Marks, and its services for
EMC, quality registrations and product certifications for global
markets, please access our web sites at http://www.ul.com and
http://www.ulc.ca or contact your local sales representative. --

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Underwriters Laboratories Inc. is notifying consumers that a miniature glue gun marked with the name Chateau does not meet UL safety requirements and presents potential shock and fire hazards to the users. This product has not been evaluated by UL and bears a counterfeit Canadian cUL Listing Mark.

Name of product: Chateau GG-1013

Manufacturer: Unknown

Identification: The glue gun is black with a counterfeit cUL Label marked as follows:

GLUE GUN c (UL)
AC 120V-60Hz
FL-138 10W(21W)

On the packaging: Marked "CHATEAU" on the top left corner and model number "GG-1013" and the description "Mini Glue Gun" on the top right corner. The packaging also lists the manufacturer as "C.M.E.I.
Kirkland, Quebec H9J 3Z4, Made in China, Fabrique' en Chine."

To view photos of the product, visit http://www.ul.com/media/newsrel/nr011806.html

What you should do: UL recommends that users stop using these glue guns immediately and return them to the place of purchase.

For more information, contact Joe Hirschmugl in Northbrook, Ill., by phone at +1-847-664-1508; or by e-mail at Joseph.F.Hirschmugl@us.ul.com.

You received this e-mail because you voluntarily subscribed to the "ULtimate Email" mailing list. If you would like to unsubscribe from this complimentary message service, please respond to this message with the word "unsubscribe" in the subject header. Thank you.

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Underwriters Laboratories Inc. is notifying consumers that a cabinet luminaire marked with the name Speed Fair Inc does not meet UL safety requirements and presents a potential shock and fire hazards to users. This product has not been evaluated by UL and bears a counterfeit UL Mark for the United States and Canada. This type of light would typically be installed in open or enclosed portable cabinets such as china cabinets, hutches, bookcases, bars, consoles, bed headboards and similar locations.

Name of product: Cabinet Luminaire

Manufacturer: Unknown. Speed Fair Inc. has advised UL that they are not the manufacturers of this product.

Identification: The light has a counterfeit UL Mark for the United States and Canada with labels that contain the following information:

Speed Fair Inc Cabinet Light
E213683
CAUTION: Risk of fire, use 40w or smaller 120V type S bulbs install only in open top cabinets

To view photos of the product, visit http://www.ul.com/media/newsrel/nr011806b.html

What you should do: UL recommends that users stop using these luminaires immediately and return them to the place of purchase.

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
Good post Jerry. What would a guy look for regarding a fake UL label? Is there anything that sticks out that could tip one off?
Thanks for the heads up.:thumb::tiphat::beer:

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
johnday said:
Good post Jerry. What would a guy look for regarding a fake UL label? Is there anything that sticks out that could tip one off?
Thanks for the heads up.:thumb::tiphat::beer:

Thats the hard part John, there usually is nothing you can look for except the UL label. Any printing company will print them for you. Legitimate or not, they don't know. Even the one post about the light strings, they had a hologram UL label. It may have been legitimate at one time, who knows. If a listing is removed by UL, some unscrupulous manufacturers will still use them to sell product.

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
Would the better thing to do is only buy namebrands you're familiar with, and keep away from the imports? China and Korea for two?:tiphat::beer:

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Sometimes you have no choice to buy foreign items if that's what you want. They'll make what you'll buy :smileywac

Of course there may be options, but price seems to be a factor and we end up with some of these items in our home.

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
Is there any way to know if the GFI recepticles that are sold for about $6.00 in many stores are truly safe? Is there a way to tell on the UL website all the products that we commonly purchase and want to check there UL certifications????

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Jerry,

I've been running into counterfeit items myself lately.

Does the retailer make a difference? If I stick with Lowe's or HD, do I have a better chance or are they getting duped as well.

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Junkman said:
Is there any way to know if the GFI recepticles that are sold for about $6.00 in many stores are truly safe? Is there a way to tell on the UL website all the products that we commonly purchase and want to check there UL certifications????

Junk, I would suggest that you buy a GFCI tester and try them after installation. That's the only way I know of to see if they work. The test buttons don't really do it for me. Yes there is a way to see if the manufacturer has a listing/listings, but you may not find every product they sell on there. Only the ones they have paid to have tested and labeled.
Click here
to check the company in question. It's dry reading and may leave the average consumer confused.

Brian, I have not noticed the huge box stores selling many of the items that have supossedly counterfeit labels on them. However, any manufacturer may have this happen.....the label is legit at first, then UL determines that the company no longer makes an item to the same standards that they were tested under. That is also a counterfeit label in UL's eye.

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Underwriters Laboratories Inc. is notifying inspection authorities, retailers and consumers of extension cords that do not meet UL safety requirements and may pose a hazard to users. These products have not been evaluated for safety by UL and bear counterfeit UL Marks for the United States and Canada.

Name of Product: Household Extension Cord.

Units: Unknown quantity.

Manufacturer: The manufacturer of these products has not been identified.

Hazard: The wire in the extension cord is undersized creating a risk of fire and electric shock.

Identification:

On the product: The cord is green in color with a plug on one end and a three-plug receptacle on the opposite end. The cord has a counterfeit UL holographic label attached near the plug with the description: "CORD SET," "E-218475," "BW-4126," "13A," "125 V" and 1625 W."

On the package: The packaging, which contains a counterfeit cUL Listing Mark, is marked: "RALLONGE DOMESTIQUE HOUSEHOLD CORD," "2M 6 pi. 2M-GR."

To view photos of the product, visit http://www.ul.com/media/newsrel/nr030106.html

What you should do: UL recommends that users stop using the extension cord immediately and return it to the place of purchase.

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks Junk. I'm thinking most of those might be in Canada instead of the US