• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Br-160 questions

Rrhuehn

Hello there, I have a few questions about a br-160 and I'm hoping maybe some of you can answer. Where is small club in Southwest Wisconsin and we're thinking of purchasing one of these but I have heard that Perkins diesel motors have problems with blowing head gaskets does anyone have any input about the Perkins engines used in this machine? I heard when you get around 3 to 4000 hours on them they are about shot is that true?

Also how about getting parts for these when you search the internet you can't come up with nothing other than Bombardier sold off that division are Parts readily available and is there any other issues with this machine that we should be aware of?

alryA

Welcome from the UP! Nice to have you here with us Rrhueh. Been to the SW part of WI many, many times. Pretty down there. Sorry I can't answer you BR 160 question for you but I'm sure someone who can will jump in.

Rrhuehn

Welcome from the UP! Nice to have you here with us Rrhueh. Been to the SW part of WI many, many times. Pretty down there. Sorry I can't answer you BR 160 question for you but I'm sure someone who can will jump in.
Thank you! Been to the UP many times, Houghton Newberry areas and others love going up there!

alryA

If you manage to get up this summer, do get in touch. We camp in the NF lots each summer. Two years ago I groomed sled trails here and might again this winter. I tried to attache a photo of that but today its crashing my PC! :(

Last edited:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I used to run a br 160 years occasionally ago. It was alright. We didn't have any head gasket issues with ours though we didn't run it much as it was a district backup groomer we had stored at our shop for any club in the district whose groomer was down for extended maintenance. Here's the link to where we got parts from.

alryA

I'll try posting a photo again :whistle: It works! It works!
Pb1090943.jpg

olympicorange

so,... the common problem with the parts scenario with the perkins models put into the bombi's , is that they were licensed specific to the BR line. most you can't even buy parts direct from perkins. you have to go thru a BR/Prinoth dealer. now, the next issue is that Prinoth bought out the bombi line. which adds another level of challenges. ironically i found a dealer in LA. that could access perkins parts. perkins is a very tough, reliable, long lasting engine ,... with the normal P.M. and service. if not, like anything, short lived. i've had plenty of perkins engines last 10K-13K hrs. of operation. head gasket issues isn't really common, usually run low on coolant , over-heated, etc. i'm not a bombi fan due that they were sold to prinoth, hard to get parts for on certain items, built on the light-weight side , etc. but, if the price is right & used within it's means properly,.... they will work ,.... good luck