• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Beware of Trane HVAC systems

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
One of or places has a Trane heat pump & air handler. The unit is 5-7 years old.
It wasn't blowing cold so I called our HVAC tech. It didn't take him long to identify the issue as he's seen it many, many times.
The condenser coils in the air handler are leaking and need replaced.
$2900+ later, new coils installed.
Trane isn't going to cover it under warranty. Internet searches are showing a TON of people having the same issue.
We're hoping the new coils last us a few years (until the heat pump starts to die).
When we go to replace the whole system, we will NEVER buy a Trane product.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Problem is most use the same Chinese junk.
Everything is price driven.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
It's my understanding that they switched from copper to aluminum for the coils and the aluminum can't handle the pressure of the refrigerant.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
It's my understanding that they switched from copper to aluminum for the coils and the aluminum can't handle the pressure of the refrigerant.
Problem is most use the same Chinese junk.
Everything is price driven.
I think most of these things come from Mexico? At least they did for a while. Perhaps that has shifted to China?

Copper is so darn expensive that nobody will pay for it anymore. It is better for many jobs but it is also costly. Buddy of mine caught a robber (at gunpoint) trying to steal the copper gutters off his house while he and his family were home.