• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Battery chargers

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Quick question.

Is it OK to leave battery chargers plugged into the AC outlet when there's no battery on the other end being charged?

I'm thinking of chargers for things like:
Cell phone
Cordless drills
Camera
Camcorder
Kids ele. games (Gameboy...)

I always unplug but know many that don't and they've never said they had a problem.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
I have never heard of anything that can be called a "problem" as far as safety, security, etc. However wall warts do consume and waste electricity, even when they are not plugged in to their intended device.

Dave

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks Dave.

I'm guilty of leaving the cable boxes on all the time, computers on stand-by (instead of turning off), printers, fax... always on.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Oh trust me, I wasn't preaching to you. I am in no way conserving energy myself. I don't even put my computers on standby, they are on constantly.

Dave

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I didn't take it as preaching in the least bit.

For everything I leave on, using their numbers, it costs me about a buck or 2 per month. Considering how long it takes my computer(s) to fire up, the time savings makes it worth the $.

loki2

bczoom said:
I didn't take it as preaching in the least bit.

For everything I leave on, using their numbers, it costs me about a buck or 2 per month. Considering how long it takes my computer(s) to fire up, the time savings makes it worth the $.

I leave everything on, and since I talked to you I put my computers on Standby, instead of turning them off. I usually leave all my battery charges on. Just too lazy to unplug them. As you say not enough juice to worry about, even at .50/kw.

Only time I shut down Sat Modem and TV receivers is when I leave the cabin in the summer, in case of a lightning strike. Have a tree 20 feet from the cabin that was hit 6 years ago.:eek:

v8dave

Wizard
I very carefully wired up my office with the selectable switch panel that came in the furniture to more power strips. I grouped these power strips and the "wall warts" plugged into them so I could manage the power to them. Now, do I use it? Not for a minute! All on, all the time!

Among several others, I have the power block for my laptop plugged in humming away at home while I type away here in Tucson Arizona. The network printer hums away too, but at least I have a HP printer with the power save on--it's only sucking up 15 watts while I'm away.:eek:

Between phones, printers, an always on network and a few other trinkets, I'll bet we have better than 100 watts of stuff on all the time.:( If I just did the math correct, at $0.15 per killowat hour that costs us about $10 a month to leave all that stuff on. Ah, maybe I better rethink this, eh?

Dave

Dave

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
I'm just happy to have electricity. Yesterday the power went off around noon and the automated system said it would be restored by 4:45. Then the next update was for 7:15. It didn't come back on till about 9:30 PM. I have a propane generator that I bought 20+ years ago, but never hooked up till last year. When it runs, the exhaust gets a very red glow to it. I don't use it for that reason. I have tried to find someone that knows about engines that run on propane, but everyone around here shy away from them. It is a Tecumseh OH-18. I have even tried to contact Tecumseh to no avail. I want to get a Kubota 1800 RPM diesel if I can find a good deal on one, but so far, nothing has come my way. Anyone know of any between 8 -12 KW for sale????

v8dave

Wizard
Junkman said:
. . .
I want to get a Kubota 1800 RPM diesel if I can find a good deal on one, but so far, nothing has come my way. Anyone know of any between 8 -12 KW for sale????

Junk, this guy seems to always have something for sale. I wouldn't buy without seeing the stuff in person. He is located in the Boston area. For you this would be a modest drive, but do-able.
http://stores.ebay.com/Enginecom_W0QQsspagenameZl2QQtZkm

He also has a Kubota GL11000 for sale. Less than what I paid for mine. Even though it's a 3600 rpm unit it is quieter than gas gensets. If you drive up you could listen to it.

Dave

Last edited:

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
Thanks for the link. I have a line on a Northern Lights genset and am going to check that our first. Hope to find a used one to save some money. Junk