• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

ANTARCTICA (the eagle & the turtle)

weatherby

Attachments

• wings_2.jpg
    wings_2.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 215

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
Cool looking machine ! The link said 'page not found' ?

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
In some of the pictures, there is a plane on the roof. I'm trying to figure out how it got up there or took off :head-scratch-smilie: :smile:

weatherby

In some of the pictures, there is a plane on the roof. I'm trying to figure out how it got up there or took off :head-scratch-smilie: :smile:

From what I read, they would push snow up to the aft end of the cruiser to form a ramp and push/winch it up on top.

weatherby

From what I read, they would push snow up to the aft end of the cruiser to form a ramp and push/winch it up on top.

That's ware the title the (the eagle & the turtle) comes from, the eagle being the plane and the turtle being the cruiser.

sledhaus

It didn't work very well because of the smooth tires. You would think that would have been a "no-brainer" but it should be noted that when Polaris first experimented with an all rubber track they tried "bologna skin" smooth conveyer belting and it of course didn't work either. Considering Skidoo had ribs molded into theirs for at least six years previous and of course the Russians had a one-piece molded rubber track with traction ribs on automobile conversions in 1911, the need for traction means would have been common knowledge. Regardless the Snow Cruiser was a failure and was abandoned in Antarctica where it still rests under the ice. In the 1950s an expedition located it and dug down to it. One of the guys who went inside brought home a stack of unused expedition covers (postal envelopes with official expedition markings) for a souvenier. Since deceased, his son was selling them on ebay a few years ago so I bought one. His dad may have been on the original expedition too because I think he sent me some photos from it that his dad had also. Strange concept. Almost looks like too many engineers were involved and no one with any common sense. No offense to you engineers out there. Remember the government was involved in this one.