• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Alpine Cat Jamboree 2024

GMoose

GOLD Site Supporter
Looking forward to making the trip down there from Prince George BC next year.
How many miles is the trail or trips at the weekend jamboree?
I would estimate that the 3 day total is around 40 miles in the cat. Maybe a little more or a little less. I think Mt Howard is about 8.5 miles each way, so around 17 miles for that day. Salt Creek summit just depends on the route and how much playing around in the powder one does. I would guess maybe 15 miles. We generally do that area twice. Hope you make it next year!

mikemikelle

ok, I'll bite...

3 days of catting, Friday, Saturday, with some folks heading home on Sunday, so usually a few less cats that day

We average about 10-15 miles a day. Something for everybody. Whether its flat or steep, we still average the same amount of carnage...
We have always done variations of the same runs, and were looking to expand to others. Hopefully we'll uncover some more terrain, but these two areas still provide lots of fun, year after year.

The Salt creek area (6100ft elev.) is usually big loop, fairly flat, with great territorial views into neighboring canyons, with the highlight being a large area of interconnecting meadows for playing around and exploring. Like always, there are frequent stops to fix something...so lots of time to mingle, get rides in others, try the latest brew, etc.

Though we thought it was further, the run up Mt. Howard, according to Google earth, is a 3100 ft climb in about 5 miles one way (parking at 5150ft elev. and summit at 8250ft). This is single file, up a forest service road, until near the top where it opens up into meadows (some being rather steep). Views start about halfway up. There are slopes to challenge every machine. Many cats find this run rather difficult, depending on grouser style. We have broken every type at one point or another....Howard always collects a toll tax!

More than anything it is a social event. Motorhead meet-up like most. A time to meet folks, catch up with others, and to see the amazing work some folks are capable of.... some of us (like me) then drive back home, park the cat, only to dig it out again a week before next years event!

Google Earth Pro 2_3_2024 10_50_32 AM.png

The Mt. Howard run pictured above

Google Earth Pro 2_3_2024 11_07_40 AM.png

Salt Creek Summit Snow Park area, loops, and meadows

Attachments

• Google Earth Pro 2_3_2024 10_57_52 AM.png
    Google Earth Pro 2_3_2024 10_57_52 AM.png
    4.6 MB · Views: 22

Mother Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter

Rock'n BK

SUPER Site Supporter
I was so close to the summit before it spit the bits! Dagnabbit!!!!
Oh well, got to pay my dues I guess.
Next year summit!
It’s ok you tried. This was my 3rd time and we finally made it. It’s a toll to be paid for sure. Do not give up the ship. You will get there!!!

mikemikelle

Local backcountry skier sent us a video of us topping out on Mt. Howard....Glad he was happy to us, since he had earned his vertical the hard way

Thanks Dave Wachs....he's also a local Joseph artist with some really cool winter paintings

1boringguy

GOLD Site Supporter
Local backcountry skier sent us a video of us topping out on Mt. Howard....Glad he was happy to us, since he had earned his vertical the hard way

Thanks Dave Wachs....he's also a local Joseph artist with some really cool winter paintings

View attachment 174674
If you think keeping a snowcat running long enough to get to the top of the mountain isn't the hard way, you haven't been paying attention out there. 😁