• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

4' Elm tree

MNwr786

Does anyone have experience using black powder on large elm logs? I've split a few similar-sized logs this way before, and it worked great, but they were oak. My question is whether this elm will split in half following what knarly grain it can, or if it will just separate into kindling. They are about 4' across and 8' long and I planned on using 1 cup powder for each. The tree has been dead a while, so that should help a little. Any experience-based suggestions/advice other than "how easy it would be (for a younger kid) with a bigger chainsaw"? Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: Doc

J5 Bombardier

Does anyone have experience using black powder on large elm logs? I've split a few similar-sized logs this way before, and it worked great, but they were oak. My question is whether this elm will split in half following what knarly grain it can, or if it will just separate into kindling. They are about 4' across and 8' long and I planned on using 1 cup powder for each. The tree has been dead a while, so that should help a little. Any experience-based suggestions/advice other than "how easy it would be (for a younger kid) with a bigger chainsaw"? Thanks!
Back in the day of crosscut and axes nobody cut elm for wood around here , it wasn't worth the fight , today we burn some and with the big ones it can be a rough go and that's with a four foot wood splitter. The older they are the more twist on the grain, it just shreds , unlike oak. Be interesting to see what the BP can do to it.
j Bombardier

Attachments

• fall 2017 Kirk 030 - Copy.jpg
    fall 2017 Kirk 030 - Copy.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 4

MNwr786

Back in the day of crosscut and axes nobody cut elm for wood around here , it wasn't worth the fight , today we burn some and with the big ones it can be a rough go and that's with a four foot wood splitter. The older they are the more twist on the grain, it just shreds , unlike oak. Be interesting to see what the BP can do to it.
j Bombardier
When we try it (weekend after next), I will share a video of the result. Although I have my doubts that it will split nicely, I think it will be too twisted and tangled to create any significant shrapnel hazard. I think its just going to crack in a bunch of places and let the gas out without completely splitting. You tube had a bunch of powder splitting videos, but none specifically mentioned elm that I saw.