• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

4.5x16 tires (Bombardier Muskeg Tire question)

I know this is an old thread however, for replacement pneumatic 16 inch by 4.5 tires, I just purchased Yokohama Y870B mini spare tires for my Bombardier. Goodyear no longer makes a tire for our machines. I went with a mini spare rather than a motorcycle tire due to the weight rating which is 1819 pounds on the Yokohama tire at 60 psi recommended air pressure. Also I’m reluctant to go with the 60 year old tire technology of the original tire. these are tubeless tires and I used Alpine Guide high pressure tubes at the 60 psi inflation rating of the tire manufacturer. The bead on the tire works with the ancient Bombardier steel rim. The fit inside the track was perfect although these tires are ever so slightly smaller in diameter. That was the homework part of choosing this tire as the diameter is crucial because the tires are so close together. I purchased these tires at the Tire Rack for 101 dollars each with free shipping. Alpine Guide was out of tires when I checked so I went this route. My tires are foamed on my rig and I will not go that route again as cutting the old tire off was a terrible experience and on top of it, the foam weighs 40 pounds at least. The Yokohama has the chrome valve stem extension.
7376A850-6C89-4430-9855-0AEB98EDB22E.jpeg

I prepped the inside of the rim by removing the interior flash rust with a Makita 4 inch grinder with a 80 grit sandpaper disk. Once it was nice and smooth I painted it with Rustoleum primer, now the tube has a nice surface to ride against and I’ve stopped further corrosion to the rim because they are difficult and expensive to come by.

Last edited:

J5 Bombardier

The Bomber guys are going to spare dougnut and bike tires , they seem to have pretty good results, but their driving on trails and lakes. It will be interesting to see how it holds up snow plowing , bush work not so sure. We bought 40 at 95$ Canadian each in the early 2000's , which is 2 1/2 Muskegs , should have bought 100 and sat on them.
J5 Bombardier

The Bomber guys are going to spare dougnut and bike tires , they seem to have pretty good results, but their driving on trails and lakes. It will be interesting to see how it holds up snow plowing , bush work not so sure. We bought 40 at 95$ Canadian each in the early 2000's , which is 2 1/2 Muskegs , should have bought 100 and sat on them.
J5 Bombardier
I got the idea to try the spare doughnut tire from this forum, but I was frustrated that no one was mentioning the exact tire by size and make. Which made purchasing the alternative tire difficult. I dislike proprietary specialty tires for several reasons, new tire designs are superior in every way to the old stuff. I could never understand the 100 psi thing for the original tire, except compensating for lousy tire construction. These Yokohama tires are solid at 60 psi. At the weight rating they are completely adequate for a 4700 pound machine. I only changed one for now due to the season but I will put the other five on this spring. The sidewall failed on the original tire to the point where I was down to the foamed inner tube. I would love to own a muskeg in the future, I’ve almost tipped my rig over once or twice.

J5 Bombardier

The high pressure was to limit the sidewall flex , an underinflated tire on these machines will get chewed up by the track guides in no time on rough ground .
The design didn't change much since the early 40's , Bombardier / Goodyear just dropped the tread and went smooth. Solid tires became the norm , but the market was still there for air tires until now and it looks like Goodyear has pulled the plug on them.
J5 Bombardier

The high pressure was to limit the sidewall flex , an underinflated tire on these machines will get chewed up by the track guides in no time on rough ground .
The design didn't change much since the early 40's , Bombardier / Goodyear just dropped the tread and went smooth. Solid tires became the norm , but the market was still there for air tires until now and it looks like Goodyear has pulled the plug on them.
J5 Bombardier
Thanks for that information, I’m new to these machines. Alpine Guide here in Idaho has a company manufacturing a tire that sells in the 190 dollar range, any idea what Prinoth wants for a tire?

J5 Bombardier

That was a good price for a long time at Alpine ,but their out of stock. I 've heard numbers of 3-400.00 and up, that guys have been paying for tires , if they can find them.....crazy. I have 5 new on the shelf, I'm just going to dust them regularly and admire them , lol .
J5 Bombardier

That was a good price for a long time at Alpine ,but their out of stock. I 've heard numbers of 3-400.00 and up, that guys have been paying for tires , if they can find them.....crazy. I have 5 new on the shelf, I'm just going to dust them regularly and admire them , lol .
J5 Bombardier
Are you running air or foam in your tires?

J5 Bombardier

Are you running air or foam in your tires?
I have some foamed tires on my machines that someone previously filled , there almost as good as solids, they'll last a long time . Any new tires I bought, I run with air , I wouldn't drill holes in a new tire to foam it.
On a side note I saw a dealer in western Canada , who had 4 Alpine tires left in inventory , only 700 Canadian each.........wow...
J5 Bombardier

Benny barber

Thanks for that information, I’m new to these machines. Alpine Guide here in Idaho has a company manufacturing a tire that sells in the 190 dollar range, any idea what Prinoth wants for a tire?
Do you have the address for alpine guide I live in south dakota and am looking for tires for my sw-48 bombadier

Benny barber

I have some foamed tires on my machines that someone previously filled , there almost as good as solids, they'll last a long time . Any new tires I bought, I run with air , I wouldn't drill holes in a new tire to foam it.
On a side note I saw a dealer in western Canada , who had 4 Alpine tires left in inventory , only 700 Canadian each.........wow...
J5 Bombardier
How do you foam a tire, I have two flat ones on my bombadier.