• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

1970 Bombardier snowcat

alryA

1970 Bombardier snowcat on face book marketplace
$5,000
Listed 2 weeks ago in Charlevoix, MI

167905434_3766497460102387_7399489856848841768_n.jpg

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
1970 Bombardier snowcat on face book marketplace
$5,000
Listed 2 weeks ago in Charlevoix, MI

View attachment 136911
Regardless of what the seller may claim, that's not really a snowcat, as-in an over-the-snow vehicle. It's a sidewalk plow; meant to remove snow from sidewalks. My guess is it's an SW 48 or SW 54. The "SW" stands for sidewalk and the number is the width.

If you Google "Bombardier SW 48", you'll see photos of them with blades on the front; for removing snow from sidewalks.

D7B626F9-FD0B-41F7-B86A-5DA4FD255FAB.jpegBF8E7A89-C28F-4DFA-80A5-8EA14A1B54CB.jpeg24ECC8A1-CAF9-442F-9FF6-05C33EBBC3DB.jpegThis is a model JW67, I think it predates the SW48. It has a Western 7’6” standard plow cut down to 5’ that I adapted to it from the V plow that was on it. I tend to call things what the data plate says they are. They will run in deep snow, I have to all the time in my community. Three sometimes four feet actually with the plow lifted fully up, which is limited to 12 inches off the ground. I will qualify that by saying, I’m alway on a gravel road in deeper snow. There are several YouTube videos out there to back me up. What they will do though is begin to lay over to one side if you turn hard in deep snow due to the narrow width, charging straight ahead they will traverse three feet of snow. My neighbors are impressed what it will do. They are not a snowcat, I agree, they were marketed by Bombardier as a tractor actually, in the J5 days. They weigh 4700 pounds and have over 100 hp. I have to plow a road where I live that drifts shut often, it is a steep grade and this machine will only do that sort of thing going down hill. I wind up going the back way through three feet of snow with the plow lifted to get to this grade so I can attack it descending down the hill. Again straight ahead running through the deep stuff. Anything deeper I would advise against it. The picture of the unit for sale, I agree is most likely a SW48. It seems the SW 48s have the headlights mounted above the windshield and the Js and JWs have the headlights mounted below the windshield, based on archival photos of the various models. The J5 one man cab through the three man cab, all have the headlights below the windshield. Mine has the rubber pads that the one in the ad also has for use on sidewalks. I paid 5000 dollars for this example just like the ad. They are a phenomenal snow plow, probably the most bang for the money. They will not follow a wide track snow cat through the forest, I’m not claiming that. The belly is rubbing hard against the snow in the deeper stuff but it churns through it. The model in the ad appears to have split rims and solid rubber tires where my tires are pneumatic and are 16” rims. That again may be a variation between the J models and the SWs.

Last edited:

Bennyboy1337

Regardless of what the seller may claim, that's not really a snowcat, as-in an over-the-snow vehicle. It's a sidewalk plow; meant to remove snow from sidewalks. My guess is it's an SW 48 or SW 54. The "SW" stands for sidewalk and the number is the width.

If you Google "Bombardier SW 48", you'll see photos of them with blades on the front; for removing snow from sidewalks.
Makes me wonder if anyone has ever successfully added bogie extensions and made wider tracks for one. Would make a great mini trail groomer with just a little wider footprint.

Makes me wonder if anyone has ever successfully added bogie extensions and made wider tracks for one. Would make a great mini trail groomer with just a little wider footprint.
I would like to buy a Muskeg they have wide tracks and two sets of wheels per track.
DC07F539-4947-42C8-88D5-D04F427821CF.jpeg

Last edited:

TRPALMATIER

Any body know where I can get a manual for a SV74? Needs a clutch replacement and was hoping for some cues for a replacement and associated parts.