• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Testing Day: January 14, 2023

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
Scott and I took TUG and the 1544 out in Utah’s Uinta Mountains for a day of testing. We strongly believe in the concept of testing in real world conditions, hopefully at least as challenging as the conditions the machine will be used in. We run the machines hard, because we want to verify they work properly, and then we can address any issues that we find. For example, with the Vail cat when we took it out for testing we discovered the brake caliper wasn’t releasing properly. We never would have discovered that running the machine around Scott’s shop.

Before I get into the details of the day, let me say I feel somewhat bad about posting this. We’re having an epic year in terms of snow in Utah (snowing again as I’m typing), and I really wish Davenet and his gorgeous 442 could have been there with us. I thought about that several times during the day…. I’m sure his machine would have run well, and he would have been beaming from ear-to-ear like a proud papa. If only….

On the trip to the mountains from Scott's shop in SLC tire issues on the Tucker’s trailer caused a delay while we used the spares from both trailers to replace a blown and a failing tire on the Tucker’s trailer. (Scott had inspected and verified tire pressure before we left his shop.) Towmaster tires = JUNK!

Then we headed to our normal testing area Scott calls Cedar Hollow. Scott knows that area very well. His family has had a cabin not far away for many years and the Cedar Hollow area was his “stomping ground” growing up. He doesn’t need a map, not that one exists anyway, but it’s best to let him lead.

Both machines ran well. There was A LOT of snow. I brought an avalanche probe and there was about four feet of loose snow. There was no “base”. If you started to spin a track… it would just sink… fast. Where we stopped for lunch my phone said the elevation was 8,706'. Mrs. Blackfoot had made sandwiches for us, and they were delicious, but cuisine d’ PP it was not! (Note: for those that never made it to any of the Sun Valley Serenade events, our very own Pontoon Princess brought a no-kidding Tucker trailer outfitted with multiple gas grills and coolers, and the food she prepared was spectacular. Great food is one thing, but having it on the trail, and at a snowcat get together, takes it to a whole different level of awesome!)

Snowmobilers had beat us there, so we weren’t making first tracks all day. We did see probably about six or seven snowmobiles, and we saw probably at least a dozen places where they had gotten stuck.

Many hills that we had previously climbed by going in a direct line toward the crest just couldn’t be attacked that way. We’d have to traverse the hill diagonally and make a switchback turn. That almost always meant a segmented turn with several forward and back movements until you had the line flat enough to go across the hill. Many climbs required multiple attempts. The deep snow required a lot of power. Especially in TUG, I could be in first gear, foot to the floor and it was all the engine could do to make forward progress.

Replacing the electric fan in TUG with a mechanical fan was a definite success. We ran both machines hard…all day, and TUG’s engine temperature was more-or-less a constant 180º. The new Remflex exhaust manifold gaskets on the 1544 worked great as well. No Leaks!

TUG reminded me of a Dachshund. While the 1544 drug its differentials and left a telltale groove in the snow, poor TUG is just so low slung it was dragging its center underbody everywhere it went. The wide tracks did a good job of trying to climb on top of the snow in front, but that then angled the rear down.

We did break a grouser on TUG. Actually, I did it, and have no idea how it happened.

I think Scott would agree, but I would say the 1544 did better overall than TUG. It's certainly nicer to drive, and more comfortable, but putting those things aside, I think it just performed better in the snow.

I do wish we had Thundercat there to see how a long track machine would do with selectable lockers and more power. Back on January 31, 2016 we had taken our stock Tucker 1643, the machine formerly known as SnowZilla, to the same location. There was enough snow that day that it drug its differentials in the snow, too. I do think that snow conditions vary so much you can’t make determinative comparisons unless it’s head-to-head on the same day in the same place. The 1544 has the 360 CID engine and Allison AT545 which we think is superior to the 318 CID and 5-speed manual on the 1643. But my gut feeling is a long tracked Tucker would have performed better.

Shockingly, we didn’t see a single Snow Trac, side-by-side / four wheeler on tracks, or any Matttracks equipped vehicles. (Okay, I’m not not shocked. That’s just The Infamous WBJ1 rubbing off on me... and making me want to poke.…)

But… a fun day, and a satisfying one in that the machines we had put so much time and effort into ran well.

Pics of course.

Shortly after leaving the trailhead. (Photo taken through a dirty windshield.)

IMG_2160.jpeg

Photo op for TUG.

IMG_2163.jpeg

And for the 1544.

IMG_2165.jpeg

Following in the 1544's tracks.

IMG_2168.jpeg

Now following TUG.

IMG_2173.jpeg

Ground clearance. What ground clearance?

IMG_2174.jpeg

The broken grouser.

IMG_2186.jpeg

And... for your viewing enjoyment: YouTube videos!

TUG:

The 1544:

Kenncrew

Hey I would love to tag along the next time you folks head up!! I've been looking for some other Utah based snow cat folks to go riding with.
IMG_0279_20201221_174711.jpg

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
Right now we don’t have any testing planned. Both Thundercat and the 1544 are running well. P-Z is still on tires, and TUG, the DMC 1450, has been sold. Our focus is on getting P-Z finished. It would be nice to test it while there’s good snow. It might happen, but the probability is low.