• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

SW 48 one piece rubber track removal

Wrench9

Does anyone know how to easily remove but mostly install the one piece rubber tracks on a SW48 sidewalk plow. They are heavy as hell and even with the adjusted backed all the way off it the guides will not come easily over the top of the rear wheel to remove the track. I got them off by removing the bearing retaining nut and outer bearing which allowed the wheel to tilt and managed to get the track off but i have no idea how I am going to get it back on as the track is very heavy and I do not want to damage the seal

J5 Bombardier

Never had to re and re the one piece belts , at least with removable crossers on a one piece original track its doable , but not fun. Post some pics if you get a chance. J5 Bombardier

Bobcatbob

GOLD Site Supporter
Make sure your back tire is completely pressed up against the next tire. If your not fully compressed it’s near impossible. Jack the whole machine up to help.

Attachments

• 76D82441-D3A0-4AC6-A2BA-B7B826B7B678.jpeg
    76D82441-D3A0-4AC6-A2BA-B7B826B7B678.jpeg
    77.3 KB · Views: 271

Wrench9

I see your front sprocket is not installed do you install this last if so it must be fun trying to get the bolts lined up. Looks like you are doing a nice job on yours it looks new

Bobcatbob

GOLD Site Supporter
I see your front sprocket is not installed do you install this last if so it must be fun trying to get the bolts lined up. Looks like you are doing a nice job on yours it looks new
Thanks, finished the SW48 about 2 years ago.

Yes, I put the sprocket on last, but it can be done with it installed.

Post pictures and we’ll take a look at what you’re dealing with.

Bob

Wrench9

I got the track back on I used my tractor and the forks to support it and move it along. When I do the other side I will put the track in place and then clamp it to the top of the machine and put the back wheel in place then put the middle wheels in. Mine is real tight to get over the back wheel tire guides I am missing a little bit but The wheel will go in there. If the wheel is on when I try to put the track it doesnt quite make it over the tire guides and the track is so damn heavy to wrestle with

Bobcatbob

GOLD Site Supporter
No kidding, I used muscles I hadn’t used since climbing trees as a kid in 1978....it’s a real b*tch. Once on, make sure to park under cover....sunlight is our enemy (a new set of tracks is $$$$$).

Pictures of your machine?

kylea

Speaking of the one piece rubber track, where can they be purchased? or who can make them? I just bought a 1979 SW48 and it came with metal tracks but I have an asphalt driveway and don't want to destroy it. I have been unsuccessful finding a supplier and since living in Idaho have tried looking on the west coast. I don't mind if the rubber tracks are built with rubber grousers but I definitely need to change my tracks. Thank you in advance if anyone can help. KyleA

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
Speaking of the one piece rubber track, where can they be purchased? or who can make them? I just bought a 1979 SW48 and it came with metal tracks but I have an asphalt driveway and don't want to destroy it. I have been unsuccessful finding a supplier and since living in Idaho have tried looking on the west coast. I don't mind if the rubber tracks are built with rubber grousers but I definitely need to change my tracks. Thank you in advance if anyone can help. KyleA
https://camso.co/en/ be sitting down when you get their quote.