• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Sleeping bags

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Looking for some recommendations on a good sleeping bag.

Ideally, I'd like something like the military setup of a couple bags that when used together are good for extreme cold.

Good brands or ones to avoid?

dzalphakilo

Banned
Can't go wrong with North Face or Sierra Designs.

Only three I have are from Sierra Designs, and when I used to use them, loved them.

Per the two bag system, some time ago (like 7 years or so) I had heard good things about Slumberjack for the money, however, I checked Campmor (sp?) and didn't see those types listed.

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
Last time I looked (long ago) REI had good comparison charts on their website. I expect Cabella's does also.

North Face sells first class stuff, literally Everest-expedition quality. Sierra Designs is also good. Patagonia and Class 5 are (were?) also top-tier brands.

If you will always be in circumstances where you can retreat to the car, then REI's house brand, Coleman, etc should be fine but they weigh more.

I've seen some awful stuff at Big 5 Sporting Goods. I got a cheap kid size Little Bear sleeping bag there for older daughter and she kicked all the seams out of it, as well as all the insulation going flat, in two seasons, long before she outgrew it. I then bough both daughters slightly better bags that lasted only until they fit adult bags. I think those were Slumberjack's cheapest models.

The big difference paying more is less weight, better compressibility, and survival-grade durability - but you pay for it.

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
Then the next question is down vs synthetic.

Down is the only way to go for ultralight service, ie backpacking.

If you are going to set up a hunting camp etc, then synthetic won't pack as tight, and is heavier to transport, but provides better cushioning beneath you. We used synthetic bags in the years that we spent nearly every summer weekend up at the gold mining claim (and got drenched a few times), then switched to down as the kids and adults went off in different directions. Younger Daughter spent a month camped above the tree line (9,000+ ft) in the Sierras on a college biology project in 2005 and said her Class 5 down bag was ideal for that.

If you fall crossing the creek, or the creek rises overnight and runs through your tent (BTDT) then you can wring out a synthetic bag and it will still provide maybe a third the warmth of a dry bag. You sleep soggy, humid, miserable, but its not life threatening. And it will dry out after a few hours hung up and dripping. A wet down bag is like a soaking wet newspaper - you would be better off nude in the rain than inside it - it will cling to you and suck the warmth out of you. You'll never get it dry before the end of the trip.

Which is preferable depends on what you have planned.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
I have a North Face mummy bag that is rated to -40F. I have personally tested it comfortably to around +10F with no problems. It is synthetic, not down, and is great for compressibility, as you just shove it into it's bag, and pull it back out with no compaction. I have owned this bag for more than 15 years, and it is still up to the task.

dzalphakilo

Banned
I prefer synthetic anyday over down. I also like how well they can be "Stuffed" away!

Down can be "stuffed" into a smaller area than a synthetic fill bag (comparing to synthetic by equal weight). Down will also keep you warmer compared to a synthetic (weight being equal). Only problem with down is once it's wet, it's a bugger to dry, particularly if your in a cooler climate and it's not sunny and warm.

Amazing how far technology has come in the outdoor industry, however, Down, wool and silk is still hard to beat.

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
Definitely check the REI comparison chart, also BackPacker magazines annual Gear Guide edition which may still be on the shelf.

I have REIs 'Down Time -20' and it keeps me 'almost' comfortable to -30. It comes in right and left so you can get one of each and zip them together with a good friend, but you may be asking about a slip-cover arrangement. Another thing to consider is whether you sleep prone or curled up. If you are like me and like to curl up, you might consider trying a womans bag that is a little wider in the middle. My bag frustrates me when I try to bring my knees up and there is no room.

Last edited:

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
Here's mine. Note the baffle aroung the neck area. You want that. Stuff sack. You want that, but remember to store your bag out of the sack when not in use. Ignore the made in China label.. you may not want that, but hard to avoid these days.

Attachments

• The Bag.JPG
    The Bag.JPG
    159 KB · Views: 115
  • InTheStuffSack.JPG
    InTheStuffSack.JPG
    143.8 KB · Views: 113
  • TheLabel.JPG
    TheLabel.JPG
    210.6 KB · Views: 112

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Ignore the made in China label.. you may not want that, but hard to avoid these days.

Hot damn. I just hung mine up to air prior to my trip later this week, and I glanced at the tag an saw that it was Made in the USA. I guess I have owned it for a number of years.