• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Maybe my kids are slackers

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Bob's post about Melen passing the bar exam reminded me about my kids.

I'm wondering if my kids are going far enough through education and career aspirations.

My daughter has a BS from Penn State in Information Sciences and Technology (computer stuff). My son is doing the same and is currently a freshman. It's a strong line of work and is what our family has been doing for 50 years.

Then I look at my friends kids that are near their age and grew up together.
One friend of mine has 2 daughters. One is wrapping up her doctorate in microbiology. The other is in college for her doctorate (most likely getting a DVM).
My other friend has 2 sons. One is at UConn going for his MD. The other is only 10 years old (so not sure about education/career desires) but has already been picked by Red Bull and Olympics junior squads for soccer. Yea, he's damn good. No idea yet of what he'll do instead of or beyond a soccer career.

I wonder if my kids should have shot for higher goals but at the same time, computer work isn't going away and they can start their career debt free (no college loans) and have a prosperous career. With luck, retire early as I did (age 53) and have another life after working as opposed to working forever to get ahead.

Ceee

Site Supporter
Bob's post about Melen passing the bar exam reminded me about my kids.

I'm wondering if my kids are going far enough through education and career aspirations.

My daughter has a BS from Penn State in Information Sciences and Technology (computer stuff). My son is doing the same and is currently a freshman. It's a strong line of work and is what our family has been doing for 50 years.

Then I look at my friends kids that are near their age and grew up together.
One friend of mine has 2 daughters. One is wrapping up her doctorate in microbiology. The other is in college for her doctorate (most likely getting a DVM).
My other friend has 2 sons. One is at UConn going for his MD. The other is only 10 years old (so not sure about education/career desires) but has already been picked by Red Bull and Olympics junior squads for soccer. Yea, he's damn good. No idea yet of what he'll do instead of or beyond a soccer career.

I wonder if my kids should have shot for higher goals but at the same time, computer work isn't going away and they can start their career debt free (no college loans) and have a prosperous career. With luck, retire early as I did (age 53) and have another life after working as opposed to working forever to get ahead.
If I were you, I would be reallllly happy with what they're doing.

Rudi

Everyone finds their path in life, it might not be something that goes along with their college education.

Its all about being happy in life.