• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Disconnect switch compliance question

Soundside

Hi all, I’m a newb here. I need expert code info. I’m doing a DIY wiring project - power to a dock. I don’t own a NEC but have been Trying to educate myself on the requirements any way I can. The feeder to the dock is 220, from a breaker in the main (house) panel. One requirement Is that there must be a disconnect on shore near the dock landing. There will be a sub panel on the dock. I have two questions. First, does the disconnect have to break the neutral? I would think this would be “safer”, but I haven’t found anything definitive about it. Secondly, could I use an enclosed rotary switch as the disconnect - the kind usually used as motor disconnects? If that kind of switch cannot be used, what is the reasoning or where is it stated in the rules? Maybe a simpler way to ask this is what are the specific requirements the disconnect must meet?
Thanks!

norscaner

LOL and you come to a Snowcat forum for this info?? I am sure there are fellas that could provide this info here but its like looking for pole dancing lessons with a bunch of farmers. They could probably do it but not best place to get that info lol

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Ha! I thought this was DIY electrical forum!!! What the heck?!
It is a DIY electrical forum & you posted in the correct forum section.
We have a large snowcat forum section as well.
Sorry, I don't know the answer to your question.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
I own 4 slips. Two with 110/30, two with 220/50a. The premade "lighthouses" all have breakers on them.