• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

closing a Hotmail email account

chowderman

had a Hotmail.com email account like . . . since the beginning.
(name)@hotmail.com

well, used that email for class reunion "schufft" and apparently one of my non-tech-savy classmates got hacked.
since then I've been getting dozens of spams per day. I'm pretty sure it was one of that group because some of the email spam is sent to a number of other classmates.

I reported "spam" and "pfishing" long long time and Hotmail did nothing.
I've won enough Yeti coolers and Dewalt Drills to open my own store . . . .

so I decided to "close" the email account.
now, , , Hotmail sez' it's closed, but you can keep it alive by logging in within ?/45/60/? days.
what I was hoping that spammers would get an 'undeliverable' message and give up on the address....
but I sent a couple emails to that account from other accounts and got no kick-back/other notifications.

anyone done this?
mid-Dec is my 'last chance logon date' - I'd really like to keep that email address - it's like really easy to remember...
does Hotmail simply accumulate all the garbage/spam for xx days?
prior to closing I did note senders using that email address I needed to keep, and changed my "info" with them.
I'm thinking to "reopen" the email account at the drop dead date and see if I missed anyone - if the account has merely accumulated months of spam and garbage then I suppose I can "re-close" it.....

Lenny

SUPER Site Supporter
If you want to keep the account, my suggestion would be to respond to each one with something like, "This is Captain Johnson of the Security Department. You are in violation of Penal Code 274, Paragraph 322, stating that you cannot send any emails to a secure account. Send us your name, address and phone number so we can set you up for a day in court."
That's how I discourage telemarketers. LOL

chowderman

most of the senders' email are bogus - 'tasting' domains that exist for 2-3 days until the free trial expires.
@0433.8259344.035
@2xsocialsecurity.com
@ad.sit.kmutt.ac.th
@advancecodingninja.net
@amotorvehicle.com
@aonlinebook.com
@aronidinf.gadroonaclinic.com
@bestbuylearning.com
@bestgamesdaily.com
@buildbrandmarketing.com
@casaexterminators.com

etc....

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Can you restrict incoming mail based on your address book? If they're not in your address book, it gets rejected or automatically moved to spam.

chowderman

Hotmail has limited options for junk mail.
yes - one can limit inbox email to 'only safe senders'
superficially , , , wonderful option. but only if you list every (new) contact to your 'safe sender' list
....and if a new 'trusted sender' happens, you'd be right dang quick on adding them to your safe senders.

the idea of "blindly deleting" all Junk/Spam messages is not a workable solution.

Hotmail offers no "high/medium/low" junk mail option.

given that lots of email goes to the "Junk/Spam" folder . . .
and
given that the user is thence required to spend lots of time reviewing what is in the Junk/Spam folder . . .
... Hotmail (and other MS email domains) do not have effective filters.

I've been reporting the same stuff as pfishing and spam for months/years - and Hotmail has still not blocked those senders.
including foreign language (I presume..) spam. everyday I get 4 to 10 spams in a foreign language - Hotmail/et.al. has no provision to dump foreign language/character email to the Junk folder.