• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Carrier / Bryant Gas Install

HMFIC

Hello guys,

I am a seasoned DIYer with a very technical background (NOT in HVAC of course) but I can do plumbing and electrical well. I have purchased a used Carrier Gas unit 58STA070-12112 and I am doing my own install...With regard to the returns, ductwork, gas lines and power I am good to go, but there are a few areas I need guidance in. Keep in mind this install will not be inspected, so code is not a biggie, but of course I do want it to be safe!

It is unclear on the internet as to which conversion kit I need to make this unit LP, and carrier is no help at all.

I think I need a KGANP4601ALL or AGAGC8NPS01A conversion kit, but...my model number doesn't show under the general list.
One supplier seems to think I need a KGBNP50011SP kit, but it looks like that is for a dual-stage furnace???
Anyway if someone could clarify which kit I actually need and maybe even suggest a source to get it from (used is fine) that would be awesome.

Next is venting...I have a very sound chimney that has tile flue...I see that carrier makes a "chimney friendly" venting kit...one supplier recommended a flue liner $$$ and I have seen several gas units in my area vented with 2" PVC all the way out the top of the chimney. My output is 4" coming out of the unit, what is acceptable for venting this unit in this scenario? (Remember no code or inspectors involved)...My guess is 4" SCH40 PVC from the unit to the top of the chimney?

Lastly, can I wait till next spring to address the AC? Can anyone think of any control board or thermostat issues I may encounter if I go that route? I need to get the heat going ASAP.

Thanks!