• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

WTS: 1979 Tucker 1544

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
1979 Tucker 1544
the infamous most expensive cat ever sold without an engine!

You can see this cat on my Youtube channel, and probably learn there more than I can even tell ya over the phone.

Isuzu diesel 4cyl motor w/tranny from a box truck.
Performs great

Proper runner, ready for new home

Asking $40k
reasonable offers are welcome

located Salem, OR

Attachments

• Tucker_snocat_infiniti_qx4_overland_build_nikson_overland_budnixon_budfab_budwoodson_adventure...JPG
    Tucker_snocat_infiniti_qx4_overland_build_nikson_overland_budnixon_budfab_budwoodson_adventure...JPG
    8.6 MB · Views: 191
  • Tucker_snocat_infiniti_qx4_overland_build_nikson_overland_budnixon_budfab_budwoodson_adventure...JPG
    Tucker_snocat_infiniti_qx4_overland_build_nikson_overland_budnixon_budfab_budwoodson_adventure...JPG
    10.3 MB · Views: 197
  • S-N 3803478.pdf
    151.3 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0289.JPG
    IMG_0289.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 187
  • IMG_8215.JPG
    IMG_8215.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 172
  • LIFD6070_Fotor.JPG
    LIFD6070_Fotor.JPG
    576.6 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
WTF??? You just going to buy a pair of snow shoes and call it good?
moving back to muscledraulics :)
Need to clear out shop so to speak.
Got other priorities taking over the cat hobby at the moment.
All is going at best reasonable offer, and I mean all.

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
Nikson,

Respectfully, I think you’re doing yourself a disservice with the lack of a detailed description of the machine. I remember some of the details when this Tucker came up for auction. Yes, this is from memory and may not be 100% correct, but as I recall the machine had been back to Tucker, Inc not long before the auction. At the time it was owned by the .gov and they dumped a bunch of money into it... only to turn around and put it up for auction. (Yes, that would be squandering taxpayer dollars.)

As I recall, all 20 idler wheels are new, the UHMW track slides are all new, I think all eight drive sprockets are new and they are the blunt nose versions (so a damper wheel conversion is possible without buying new drive sprockets). It has all new track belting. I THINK they replaced the original front seats with new ones, though I’m not sure about the back seats.

All that stuff adds up to serious money. For example, new idler wheels are (I think) over $400 each. New drive sprockets are (I think) maybe $500 each. That’s $12K in new parts right there. I’ll bet new belts from Tucker are over $300 each, and there are 16 of them. That’s another $4,800. All the labor to install all those new parts is done. That is many thousands of dollars, and you can be sure all the spindles, and small parts were inspected and replaced if necessary prior to assembly. That's over $20,000, perhaps $25K, in new parts and factory service, and you haven’t mentioned it. To a buyer - that is HUGE value. I think you should also include a link to your build thread:

My opinion only, but this machine is an absolute bargain.

I say this frequently, but ksl.com is a great place to list snowcats. Yes, ksl.com is a Utah based website and you’re in Oregon, but that’s not all that far to go for the right machine. (There’s a guy in Fruita, CO (near Grand Junction) who has advertised on ksl.com he’s looking for a Tucker.)

Good luck with the sale!

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Nikson,

Respectfully, I think you’re doing yourself a disservice with the lack of a detailed description of the machine. I remember some of the details when this Tucker came up for auction. Yes, this is from memory and may not be 100% correct, but as I recall the machine had been back to Tucker, Inc not long before the auction. At the time it was owned by the .gov and they dumped a bunch of money into it... only to turn around and put it up for auction. (Yes, that would be squandering taxpayer dollars.)

As I recall, all 20 idler wheels are new, the UHMW track slides are all new, I think all eight drive sprockets are new and they are the blunt nose versions (so a damper wheel conversion is possible without buying new drive sprockets). It has all new track belting. I THINK they replaced the original front seats with new ones, though I’m not sure about the back seats.

All that stuff adds up to serious money. For example, new idler wheels are (I think) over $400 each. New drive sprockets are (I think) maybe $500 each. That’s $12K in new parts right there. I’ll bet new belts from Tucker are over $300 each, and there are 16 of them. That’s another $4,800. All the labor to install all those new parts is done. That is many thousands of dollars, and you can be sure all the spindles, and small parts were inspected and replaced if necessary prior to assembly. That's over $20,000, perhaps $25K, in new parts and factory service, and you haven’t mentioned it. To a buyer - that is HUGE value. I think you should also include a link to your build thread:

My opinion only, but this machine is an absolute bargain.

I say this frequently, but ksl.com is a great place to list snowcats. Yes, ksl.com is a Utah based website and you’re in Oregon, but that’s not all that far to go for the right machine. (There’s a guy in Fruita, CO (near Grand Junction) who has advertised on ksl.com he’s looking for a Tucker.)

Good luck with the sale!

All are great points.
Cat has been used for past few seasons, not overly used like a club unit, but it got used, thus I cant say for things
to be in like new shape as they were when I got it - just to get that out of the way.
Secondly, it never got new idlers, etc., but rather been gone through really well, new rubber on tracks, etc.
Looks like idlers were updated/replaced with much better shaped ones - but they were definitely not new (some were)

So I dont want to give anyone wrong impression, as if it was with "new all around stuff" like you mentioned, I would be
a fool to let the cat go for anything less than $50k - and yes - thats just my opinion.
The diesel has proven to be an awesome addition to it with the auto tranny.
I've not had any issues with it running around our neck of the woods

Many cats out there, some categories as I see them:

Some are pretty new and clean and functional
Some are just that - cats - they do what they supposed to do with not all being perfect and new, with just basic usual service/ maintenance
Some are in need of constant maintenance and fixing or adjusting in order to run
Some can barely make it out of every run you take them on, as many simply put them together without putting it through multi-season use to know whats better or worse, what works - what dont, built a lot of times by guys who "think" they got it right the first time after watching all the Youtube build series or forum posts

I believe mine falls under the 2nd category, never left me stranded, always brought me home!

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
What are the dimensions and the weight of the cat? thanks

It’s legal in width for transport (I think that makes it under 102”), but requires the Deckover type trailer (to wide for usual car hauler type of flatbed trailer)

Length I want to say 18ft

Weight wise - to best of my recollection- under 5k lbs

I’m not close to it to run out, if it’s a matter of exact sizing - I can run out and measure in next couple of days

Sorry, just don’t remember it off the top of my head