• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Would you take in a Japanese family?

RedRocker

Colour me confused.
SummerAngel's post is missing.

Another night on the forum lol

I've got it on my email notice, interesting post, don't know where she lives, but moving to a part of the country where the economy is better could be the answer to her situation. Texas has quite a few companies hiring, just read where a company in the DFW area will be hiring hundreds of people and that's just one place. When I got in a place where I hated my life, I took steps to change it, I could have sat around and waited for something to happen, or take positive steps to do something about it.

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
This is a troll post. And I'm certain you know it too. You usually have something intelligent to add. How you can compare what has happened in Japan to the economic meltdown to me is idiotic. The economic melt down did NOT wipe out 50,000 Physical homes - did not kill up to 25,000 people - and did NOT create the worst nuclear disaster in the history of nuclear power. What rock are you living under? Maybe if we all get under that rock maybe the realities of what is really going on in Japan will go away.

Troll succeeded as being troll.
Wow, you sure pulled that knee-jerk remark out of your ass without absorbing the content of my post. You obviously read something into my post that is not there.

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
Wow, you sure pulled that knee-jerk remark out of your ass without absorbing the content of my post. You obviously read something into my post that is not there.

Gotta agree with JEV on this one, Tsaw. Nuthin' trollish in JEV's remarks.

isone

Hi All, in a past career I had the opportunity to assist the less fortunate find housing through HUD and Red Cross help. Seeing there are tens of thousands of home available across the country due to economics. These homes are sitting vacant and can be used as housing for economic or natural disasters situations on a short term basis. These are the types programs that we should be looking at extending out to those in need.

tsaw

GOLD Site Supporter

I had all day to think about it and now realize i did take it wrong.
What i admit i took wrong is that i thought you were saying that you could care less about what suffering is going on in Japan. No decent person would not care. And you do care.

If there is any defense in my post, it would be this:

I was reading the replies that the readers posted.. and got tears in my eyes at the generosity. Then it appeared that you were saying "the hell with them -

Do I now understand what you meant?

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
I have stayed out of this thread for personal reasons . I made a point of saying out loud and to everyone here on FF I was going to Haiti to help rebuild . That has not come to pass and it is one of the biggest low points in my life :sad:. I felt like a embassment to myself and others . I purchase all the stuff to go , finally got choosen and paid over $500 for medical shots alone . Then it all stopped . No building was being done . The Haitian goverment was reviewing the building codes and in the mean time stealing the donated money . There was unbelievable crime , No place to build housing even if I had been there . Only 2% of the disaster was even cleaned up . I gave up and a little bit of me died inside .I was not going to see the counytryside and sit on my ass, but hopefully help make a difference in peoples lives . That back pack is still setting by my bed even after I moved to Idaho .I learned a hard lesson .

Yes, we would help a family , but on my terms this time . They would be welcomed to stay for free but only with no outside goverment interference .

tsaw

GOLD Site Supporter
I have stayed out of this thread for personal reasons . I made a point of saying out loud and to everyone here on FF I was going to Haiti help rebuild . That has not come to pass and it is one of the biggest low points in my life :sad:. I felt like a embassment to myself and others . I purchase all the stuff to go , finally got choosen and paid over $500 for medical shots alone . Then it all stopped . No building was being done . The Haitian goverment was reviewing the building codes and in the mean time stealing the donated money . There was unbelievable crime , No place to build housing even if I had been there . Only 2% of the disaster was even cleaned up . I gave up and a little bit of me died inside .I was not going to see the counytryside and sit on my ass, but hopefully help make a difference in peoples lives . That back pack is still setting by my bed even after I moved to Idaho .I learned a hard lesson .

Yes, we would help a family , but on my terms this time . They would be welcomed to stay for free but only with no outside goverment interference .

Al, do you think that situation that happened in Haiti would happen in Japan? (ie: the government stealing donations.) I don't think so.
If there is one thing that can be said about the modern Japanese people - is that they have honor.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Al, do you think that situation that happened in Haiti would happen in Japan? (ie: the government stealing donations.) I don't think so.
If there is one thing that can be said about the modern Japanese people - is that they have honor.

No, I also do not think so . I believe the nomal Japanese family has and practices high morals .

Haiti is so screwed up that nothing is ever going to fix it . I refuse to go there and be guarded by a security guy day and night , so I can try to help the same poeple who may try to kill me at night . I will not stay in a guarded compound at night .

Haiti made me feel like a loser . That is something I do not appreciate . I feel embarassed and ashame of myself . Haiti hardened me in a way that I am not proud of .

mogeneo

I'm sure I would, but that's hypothetical. It would cost more to transport them here, then transport them back to Japan, than it would to house them in my modest abode. Not a practical use of charitable resources.

OTOH, we could start a relief fund at FF, but that would take some doing from Doc, and I'm not sure he has the time to do it.

Alternatively, there's the Red Cross: http://www.redcross.org/

And if you don't like that charity, perhaps we could start a list of charities here that FF folks have had success with, and folks can hopefully donate with a better sense that their $ is going to the right place.

Waddya'll think?

well, i tried the red cross and they stated several things. they are not in the business of relocating to other countries... so they were the wrong peoples to ask. they stated we should be asking the government industries about housing opportunities... www.chat.redcross.org. this site also pointed out that the Japanese would have a hard time getting visas,and they can only be in the States up to 3 months before needing one. so there were no plans to move them to other countries just yet, that they knew of.

i can't see where that mess would only be months to clean. new orleans took years in the states. we should probably expect the same for them-- and longer.

there is no electricity, no water, no food, no shelter. it seemed like a way better idea to import a family here, and let them live in our home to get their bearings, and raise their kiddos, then to just leave them there waiting months and years for that to happen..

if anyone knows of a plan, and if anyone knows how/who i can contact to house them, let me know. i'm in!