• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Why should couples get married?

cowgirl

Silver Member
Site Supporter
I don't want a fancy wedding. However, I do not see how what you did before getting married should determine what kind of wedding you get. Based on your logic then fancy weddings should be reserved for couples who do not fall under the "statistics".

I have never been able to figure out the reasons behind a fancy wedding when the couple have living together for a period of time. To me this is like building the barn after the horse has run away.
That would be like saying if the bride is not a virgin then she should not be able to wear white.

I do agree with you on "each to their own".

Gatorboy

That would be like saying if the bride is not a virgin then she should not be able to wear white.

I thought only virgins wore white on their wedding day. You mean some of those lovely brides wearing a nice white wedding gown have had sex before their wedding? :poke:

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
B_Skurka

Once again most of your articles are based on statistic, which can be skewed to which ever side you on.
Of course they are based on statistics. But I'm not sure how you can skew them to one side or the other. The numbers are simply reported. Now if you were a Las Vegas odds maker then you would set your odds based on exactly this type of statistic report. So looking at your parents, it does not say your parents WILL get divorced, it simply says the there is a higher likelyhood that they will.

Please go back to the very first post in this thread, it quotes a statistic. Based on that statistics basically half of all marriages end in divorce. That is a very simple statistic, but not really a useful one. To make that statement useful, you need to dig down into the numbers and NOT make an editorial comment about them. That is what I believe I have tried to do, simply report the numbers. So sticking with simple statements that have been proven true, let me simply restate, the odds of a couple that lived together prior to marriage getting a divorce are higher than a couple that did not.

Want to live with someone and reduce the odds of divorce? Then look at many other factors. Look at the relationships of both parents and if they are solid then your odds go up, if one or the other is broken, then the odds go down. Look at education, look at income and again if either or both are above average then the odds of divorce go down. But again, understand they are simply the 'odds' as a gambler would look at them. These are simple numbers, each person's relationship will affect these numbers, over time. Nothing about this is personal, its simply statistics.

Why is applying statistics to divorce rates any different than the odds of having a house fire, a heart attack, a car accident or anything else?

BTW, statistically every American adult driver will be involved in one "major" auto accident in his/her life. Doesn't mean you will ever be involved in one, it just means what it says.​

BoneheadNW

I thought only virgins wore white on their wedding day. You mean some of those lovely brides wearing a nice white wedding gown have had sex before their wedding? :poke:

Based on that logic, Sushi should have a completely white wardrobe.:pat:

All kidding aside, why would anyone care if a couple is living together or not before getting married? To each his/her own.
Bone

Bulldog1401

Anybody seen my marbles?
SUPER Site Supporter
Sushi is cool... He is still just scraping the electronic tar and feathers off.....:yum: :yum: :yum:

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Here is the initial quesiton
[FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]:tiphat:The media frequently reports that 50% of American marriages will end in divorce. [/FONT]With the high cost of getting a divorce should couples get married or live together?
Which has apparently morphed to:
why would anyone care if a couple is living together
Not sure that a whole lot of value judgements have been levied on this topic. Somehow the information I provided seems to have raised some ire, but I don't know why.

BoneheadNW

The only reason I posted my last comment was that a friend recently told me his 18 year old daughter was living with a guy. He had no problem with it, but his mom (the girls grandmother) was upset. Ironically, my friend lived with his wife prior to them getting married and his mom never knew about it.
Bone

Cool Rider

[FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]:tiphat:The media frequently reports that 50% of American marriages will end in divorce. [/FONT]With the high cost of getting a divorce should couples get married or live together?
The website:
http://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_dira.htm
[FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]Divorce rates in the U.S.:[/FONT] [FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]"There is consensus that the overall U.S. divorce rate had a brief spurt after WW2, followed by a decline, then started rising in the 1960s and even more quickly in the 1970s, then leveled off [in the] 1980s and [has since] declined slightly."7 However, such gross statistics are misleading. There are a number of factors involved that obscure the real data:[/FONT]
topbul1d.gif
[FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]The normal lifestyle of American young adults is to live together for a period of time in a type of informal trial marriage. These relationships frequently do not endure.[/FONT]
topbul1d.gif
[FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]Couples enter into their first marriage at a older age than in the past.[/FONT]
topbul1d.gif
[FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]A growing percentage of committed couples have decided to live in a common-law relationship rather than get married. This is particularly true among some elderly who fear reduction in government support payments.[/FONT] [FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]
topruled.gif
The current U.S. divorce rate:

The media frequently reports that 50% of American marriages will end in divorce. This number appears to have been derived from very skimpy data related to a single county or state. However, it appears to be reasonable close to the probable value. The Americans for Divorce Reform estimates that "Probably, 40 or possibly even 50 percent of marriages will end in divorce if current trends continue. However, that is only a projection and a prediction." 7
[/FONT]

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
Man Sushi, you get dogged on every thread.

Bonehead, I agree.

Its my lot in life. Thats ok. I will soon have new teeth. After that.... I shall pass up George Clooney. :tiphat:

dsgsr

Divorce does seem too be a problem here in America. But If we did away with Marriage, we wouldn't have a divorce problem.

David