• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

What are you doing today, II

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Thought work was slowing down to where I could get some time off, got a call today that changed all that, and the time off fantasy was just that. Also started cutting the weeds down with the tractor, thats another couple weeks of spare time I don't have. Less than a year to parole.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Leaving the house late morning to pick up Melen in Chicago at 11am then head to Chinatown for lunch. Melen has a meeting at1pm so she needs to be back for her meeting, we should have a full 90 minutes for a nice leisurely Dim Sum style lunch. Not really sure what we will do this afternoon/evening. Today is 55(F) and rain so no yard work. I do have some wallpaper I can put up, so that may be the afternoon project.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Leaving the house late morning to pick up Melen in Chicago at 11am then head to Chinatown for lunch. Melen has a meeting at1pm so she needs to be back for her meeting, we should have a full 90 minutes for a nice leisurely Dim Sum style lunch. Not really sure what we will do this afternoon/evening. Today is 55(F) and rain so no yard work. I do have some wallpaper I can put up, so that may be the afternoon project.
My first packaging company was just blocks from Chinatown. I miss having lunchtime there.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Sitting at emerge with ice on my hand. I was tightening a battery cable on my golf cart and the wrench arched against my wedding ring. It was still liquid when I pulled it off. I know I know...gloves. no jewelry. Yada yada.

Attachments

• 20240509_160743.jpg
    20240509_160743.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
  • 20240509_160218.jpg
    20240509_160218.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 17

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Brian that hurts to look at!

My day did not go as planned. Lousy weather and a family that didn't want to walk in rain cancelled the Chinatown meal. Ended up at Home Depot for longer than I should have been there but only spent money on what I actually needed, so no impulse buys.

Installed a door stop, that took a lot more effort than it should have. Couldn't get the hinge pin out. Finally a little more persuasion and it budged enough to pry it up so pliers could grab it.

Waiting on Amazon to deliver a couple table saw feathering inserts to help me rip down some long pieces of wood.

Debating on EITHER hanging some wallpaper OR having a cocktail.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
After a 2hr trip to emerge for assessment and a tetanus shot, my hand is bandaged up and I escaped serious injury. 4 12volt batteries in parallel zapping my finger definitely wasn't on the agenda today. I'd been giving the golf cart a once over before bringing it to camp this summer. Filling up the batteries with fluid. Etc.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
After a 2hr trip to emerge for assessment and a tetanus shot, my hand is bandaged up and I escaped serious injury. 4 12volt batteries in parallel zapping my finger definitely wasn't on the agenda today. I'd been giving the golf cart a once over before bringing it to camp this summer. Filling up the batteries with fluid. Etc.
That's what you get for messing around with an EV. :LOL:

Last edited:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Shocking revelation. Lol. My gas golf cart....went out this spring and fire it up as soon as I pressed the pedal. My electric cart from camp? I've been messing with batteries for a week getting them filled and charged. Now all four batteries are reading 13.6 volts and it barely moves. Think it's a speed sensor. I hate electric.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Went to breakfast with the lovely Mrs_Bob and her sister.

Stained some wood for the living room silk wallpaper project.

Finished seal coating the driveway. The last 4 buckets. 1/2 of a bucket at the end of the driveway to complete the job. The remaining 3.5 buckets were used to do a 2nd coat on high wear areas of the driveway that got covered with the first 8 buckets that I previously spread.

Sat my ass down and am enjoying some cold refreshing sparkling water.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Busy mothers day. I was out of the house by 7:45am working at a legion breakfast with my scouts troop. Straight home and into my work grubbies to finish sanding and prime the kitchen wall for tile installation starting tomorrow. Then mom showed up with her motorhome for me to dewinterize the water system for her to use this week. Afterwards, I took the family to a spaghetti supper.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Cleaned the carpet in our family room area because my sister in law let her dog into our house, she claimed her territory on our carpet, then one of my dogs decided to pee on top of her pee and there were several fresh spots because my SIL is an idiot.

Loaded up my big compound mitre saw, all the wood, nail gun, etc into the pick up at the workshop and drove it to my living room patio to unload it so I can install the trim around the silk wallpaper project. That is all staged and ready to go, but I'm waiting for the rain to start because it is a covered patio and I can do that in the rain. The lovely Mrs_Bob was mowing the pool/dog yard while I was loading/unloading the truck.

Hopped on the lawn tractor and mowed the rest of lawn.

Waiting for the washing machine repair man to show up to finally (???) fix the washing machine. Or maybe just order parts and leave!

Fencing tonight.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Since the kitchen is currently taken over by our tile guys and the truck is getting worked on at the shop, I spent some time outside cleaning up the old grand am and giving it a semi annual semi professional tremclad rust paint treatment. She's good from far but far from good.

Attachments

• 20240513_124947.jpg
    20240513_124947.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 11
  • 20240513_124926.jpg
    20240513_124926.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 11

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Drove to Minooka, Illinois this morning with the lovely Mrs_Bob because she found "free" daylillies on Facebook Marketplace. So we hopped in the truck and went for a ride.

2 neighbors are redoing their landscaping. 1 had Stella d'oro small daylillies. We dug out all of her bed and loaded them into the truck. Maybe 15 large clumps. The neighbor had full size daylillies, No clue how many clumps we took out, but it was maybe 20% of what she had. We filled the entire back of the truck with daylillies, and I had a large plastic bin in the back seat of the truck, that got filled with daylillies too. I'd bet that if we bought them at a garden center we'd have been charged about $29 per clump, these clumps are roughly each the size of a 3 gallon bucket. Probably got 40 clumps?

Cost was 1/3rd of a tank of gas, 3 advil and 1 tramadol.

Probably going to cost me triple that amount of pain meds to get them all into the ground.

EDIT...
Just looked up Stella D'oro daylilies at Home Depot. $35 for a 1 gallon contain. The more common lilies are about $18 for a gallon container. There are enough left at the 2nd ladies house for us to refill the truck 2 or 3 more times. Depending upon how sore I am over the next couple of days, we may go back.

Last edited:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
What'd I do today? Hmmm. It's all been a blur. I started off by driving my daughter to school then. Had an hour to kill until a dentist appointment for myself. Got a call that the parts are in to fix the truck damage from the accident in March. Went and scheduled that then home to take down a rotting tree house and 3 trees.

20240514_153322.jpg

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Drove to Minooka, Illinois this morning with the lovely Mrs_Bob because she found "free" daylillies on Facebook Marketplace. So we hopped in the truck and went for a ride.

2 neighbors are redoing their landscaping. 1 had Stella d'oro small daylillies. We dug out all of her bed and loaded them into the truck. Maybe 15 large clumps. The neighbor had full size daylillies, No clue how many clumps we took out, but it was maybe 20% of what she had. We filled the entire back of the truck with daylillies, and I had a large plastic bin in the back seat of the truck, that got filled with daylillies too. I'd bet that if we bought them at a garden center we'd have been charged about $29 per clump, these clumps are roughly each the size of a 3 gallon bucket. Probably got 40 clumps?

Cost was 1/3rd of a tank of gas, 3 advil and 1 tramadol.

Probably going to cost me triple that amount of pain meds to get them all into the ground.

EDIT...
Just looked up Stella D'oro daylilies at Home Depot. $35 for a 1 gallon contain. The more common lilies are about $18 for a gallon container. There are enough left at the 2nd ladies house for us to refill the truck 2 or 3 more times. Depending upon how sore I am over the next couple of days, we may go back.
IMG_1686.jpeg

This row of day lilies was about 50 percent planted. There were several gaps. The row fell about 10’ to 15’ short of the end of the fence on both ends. All of the large day lilies are now planted!

Truck bed is about 1/3rd full, everything in the bed is Stella d’oro daylilies, which are smaller but bloom for a longer period during the summer.

But first I recover!

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
View attachment 178274

This row of day lilies was about 50 percent planted. There were several gaps. The row fell about 10’ to 15’ short of the end of the fence on both ends. All of the large day lilies are now planted!

Truck bed is about 1/3rd full, everything in the bed is Stella d’oro daylilies, which are smaller but bloom for a longer period during the summer.

But first I recover!
They look like what are called Lillie of the Nile out here, nice resilient flowering plant, but always get these big bugs that look like roaches called water bugs and snails. I had them at my previous home. Maybe you won't get the critters with a shorter season back there.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Still getting my ass kicked with work, I cut down to 40 hours, everyone else is still 7 days, although I'm still working the weekend doing property maintenance that will last for another month.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
They look like what are called Lillie of the Nile out here, nice resilient flowering plant, but always get these big bugs that look like roaches called water bugs and snails. I had them at my previous home. Maybe you won't get the critters with a shorter season back there.
We don’t get those bugs here. I’ve been growing various lilies for decades here.

I grow lots of lilies, hostas, ferns, and coral bells. None get too buggy.

But the Peonies get lots of ants here.

tommu56

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I've been back to work almost a year and a half part time 2-3 days a week to do a project for a department I told them in March I'd be done the end of May the end is in sight!

They put the brakes on that management came up to me to go back to full time to "fix" another department Tuesday.
I told them I'd discuss it with my wife and grandkids who live with us, after weighting every thing I'm going to do it for 18 months giving the department a year to change and train someone to replace me to keep the department up.

Now I'm looking at the insurance issues and social security hit if there's one.

Then with the economy taking a crap and us paying 25-30% more for everything and us being frugal about not digging in to savings and even the interest what little I'm getting was a big weight in the calculation.
I figure it will take if Trump wins it will take a year to get stuff going from the ruins Biden economy put us in.
I hope it will come back about the time I'm done this tour I'll be closing in on 70 years young.

tom

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
My advice.....get out while you can and still be able to enjoylife and those grandkids. Dad was 68 and still working full time when he was killed at work. He never got to fully enjoy retirement. Sure, they did travel for a few years then dad decided that he was bored and went back to work as a truck driver, something he had done all his life. All it took was one slight memory lapse forgetting to pull the air brakes to lock them when reconnecting his trailer. The truck rolled backwards downhill over him and killed him.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
More planting today. It's going to be nice enough for most of the day, with rain/thunderstorms moving in later.

The smaller day lilies are moved out of the truck and now occupy an entire pallet that is parked next to the home garage. I'll move that pallet about 200 feet to the south and into the pool yard where the new plants will be massed around a 7' tall Moai head that sits on a wall overlooking the swimming pool.

We are also picking up Kobe today, he will stay with us through Monday. Friday we head to Notre Dame for graduation weekend, it's already been 4 years for Dasha!!! The big ceremonies are on Sunday. But the partying starts on Friday evening.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I'll be cleaning up my truck which is a holy mess from Hippie Ridge mud. I never got stuck but my son, in his four wheel drive one ton, did. Along with a contractor driving over my property to work on my neighbor's new house. Both were four-wheel drive stuck up to their axels.

I had to use the backhoe bucket to tug them both out of the muck.

As for me, my truck is loaded with all kinds of stuff we don't need, and I don't want littering up the property.
Friday, I go back to finish the gravel pad for the incoming barn currently residing in Springfield.
And the rain just keeps coming.

Crumpy is exhausted from working overtime every week lately. And GM is talking about running Sundays as well.
Who's buying these vehicles?
Nobody.

I suspect they are parking them in lots all over the place.
Typical Government Motors.

Meanwhile workers are getting tired and not showing up for work. Making it worse.
They are not getting the numbers out the door.

Last edited:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I've been running my arse off lately with the renovations. All that is nearly done as far as our kitchen. In between that and driving twice a day to the city, I've also been busy packing the boat and fifth wheel for this weekend as it's the long weekend for us and also the opening of walleye season when we head to where I grew up and camp out in the woods fishing all weekend. 🙂

Perfect timing as I'm due for a rest.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I'll be cleaning up my truck which is a holy mess from Hippie Ridge mud. I never got stuck but my son, in his four wheel drive one ton, did. Along with a contractor driving over my property to work on my neighbor's new house. Both were four-wheel drive stuck up to their axels.

I had to use the backhoe bucket to tug them both out of the muck.

As for me, my truck is loaded with all kinds of stuff we don't need, and I don't want littering up the property.
Friday, I go back to finish the gravel pad for the incoming barn currently residing in Springfield.
And the rain just keeps coming.

Crumpy is exhausted from working overtime every week lately. And GM is talking about running Sundays as well.
Who's buying these vehicles?
Nobody.

I suspect they are parking them in lots all over the place.
Typical Government Motors.

Meanwhile workers are getting tired and not showing up for work. Making it worse.
They are not getting the numbers out the door.
Crumpy just corrected me. Apparently, Dealers are buying these vehicles.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Heading back to Hippie Ridge on High Lonesome.

This will be one of the tough ones. I have to move about three ton of 1" minus over to the site for the 10'X12' gabled barn. It is being transferred from our Springfield residence on Monday May 20th. Also, this weekend, we will move my son's 29 foot camper. That site is ready except for 30 amp power. I have the parts to do that also.

It has rained virtually every day this month so the ground is soft. I hope we don't get stuck in the muck like last weekend.

Hopefully I will have time to replace the battery in the Yamaha side-X-side. Then Crumpy can take a run down to the creek next weekend.

See ya all next Tuesday.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
At Notre Dame. Dinner tonight with the 2nd best Foilist from Malaysia (Hans Yoong) and his mom Heather. Plus our Dasha and boyfriend Nikita. And honestly, Kobe was having fun right up until the time we decided to take a group photo!

IMG_1721.jpeg
IMG_1763.jpeg
IMG_1771.jpeg

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓🩺 🇺🇸
GOLD Site Supporter
Went to Morenci, Michigan today with my best friend Jules and her Granddaughter to freshen up her husband's grave.
Then we went out for a bite to eat in Wauseon on the way back.
They overcharged me for one trip to the buffet only because it had a scant piece of prime rib.
While at the cemetery Emma decided to play in a dirt pile and mud puddle.
Thank God we had bottled water in the car lol

IMG_20240518_174300820.jpg
FB_IMG_1716092066753.jpg
FB_IMG_1716092073346.jpg