• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

WE are coming to the USA

daedong

Today my wife and I have finally decided to start to make plans to come to the USA.
It will depend a little on my wife getting time off but she does not anticipate any problem.

This is what we are contemplating.

Self planned no prebooked tours.

Eight weeks in the USA , Sept/Oct, Fly into LA spend a few days there. Hire a medium SUV and drive across the centre of the US and finish in Washington DC and fly home.

On our way across the US I want to meet as many folks from FF as possible for a beer or coffee regardless of our political or religious differences.

Our thoughts are to camp some of the time and motel some of the time. So one of the first things we will need to do is buy camping gear before leaving LA.

Our first destination will be Hoover Dam and the Grand Canyon then head towards Illinois, have not yet decided the route. Then spend a fair amount of time around the North Eastern states ( interested in the history) and visit Niagara Falls.

I need thoughts, comments and suggestions to aid the planning of this trip. Over the next few months I will have plenty of questions.

Last edited:

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
Let me be the first to welcome you!!!

If I could persuade you to land in San Francisco instead of LA then we would be on your route. My ranch is 1.5 hours north of SFO (airport) and my home in town is 1.75 hours northeast. Both are 400 miles north of LA. If you started here I could give you some camping gear and you could see Yosemite, the Giant Redwoods, and Death Valley on your way down to Los Angeles. I agree LA is a good place to start a cross country drive.

Here's my Hoover Dam photo set I posted here last year. I thought its cultural history was just as interesting as the engineering - it made a vast expanse of dry desert habitable. And I'll give you directions to a nearby gold mine on the Colorado River, now a secluded tourist attraction with mine tours, where my grandfather was mine superintendent about 1920. He also spent a year at the main mine in Death Valley when he was right out of college as a new mining engineer. You have to see Keene Wonder Mine (ruins) in Death Valley!

The Grand Canyon is incredible. I believe Yosemite is just as astonishing. When I get around to it I'll post my travel photos of both.

And Los Angeles is astonishing. The sheer size, and the amazing can-do spirit engendered by the best and brightest emigrating there from all over the US, the continent, the world. In a city that was nothing 100 years ago. If you have the time it is worth a few days just to get a sense of the sheer size of the place.

MtnViewRanch over on NTT has been working for maybe 10 years turning a piece of high desert southeast of LA into a working ranch. You might like to see what that looks like. He survived one of those bad Southern California fires, and he represents what a lot of development down there looks like.

Going east on the highway from Los Angeles I haven't been beyond Phoenix and the Grand Canyon. Phoenix impressed me as a lot of nothing - a huge new city in the desert, but with no heart. I suppose the Navajo Indian country would be the next thing to see out that way. Yellowstone and the Rockies are off your path but I found them fascinating.

On the east coast you simply have to see the Smithsonian Museum in Washington DC. We did the tours of the White House and Congress; you may or may not consider those important. New York deserves several days to visit cultural events. I'll let easterners take it from there.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Vin,

I live near Pittsburgh, PA and I'm frequently in Baltimore, MD. There is no reason we can't get together. Let me know were and when between Niagara and DC and I'll be there! Wish you well on the trip!

Dawg

dzalphakilo

Banned
You'll see Interstate 40 (highway) goes from the Paciffic ocean to the Atlantic ocean across the U.S.

I'm about a 20 minute drive off of I-40 in North West North Carolina.

Door is always open.

Little secret, Canyonlands national park is more impressive than the Grand canyon, plus you have no one to deal with!

Be prepared to be overwhelmed, but wishing you the best of luck on you journey.

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
Today my wife and I have finally decided to start to make plans to come to the USA.

Well, Im your Chicago stop buddy! Depending on your duration here, I want you to know WE have the best of the best. Chicago is a world class city. :coolshade PM me with your likes and dislikes. :tiphat:

RoadKing

Silver Member
Site Supporter
I can be of help in the Northeast. Born & raised outside of Boston am considered somewhat of a historian and if you want to see the Maine Coast I have room in the new house. I also need someone to tell me "What in heck is Vegemite?"

RedRocker

If you take Interstate 70 East you should hit Moab Utah and at least catch Arches National Park. Or you could swing through there after the Grand canyon.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Sounds like we'll have you zig zagging the country Vin, but I'm sure it will be worth it. How exciting. Columbus is the closest big city to me, but if your heading down DZ's way maybe we could meet at Huntington WV or Ashland Kentucky. All kinds of possibilities. But the best is if you come by my place and we take you for a little house boat ride. :thumb:
Keep us posted as your plan comes together. The Frapper map should be a huge resource in mapping this out.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
If you are near Chicago, we are about an hour and a half away. If it is the summer you are here, and Plain Vanilla is in the water, we can go for a 110 mile an hour blast on Lake Michigan.

Cityboy

Banned
Let me know when you think you might reach your closest proximity to Oklahoma City. It's possible that we could take a mini-vacation and meet up with you somewhere.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Panama is probably too far south but if you can make it down ,I can supply Lobster and cold drinks :beer:

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
If you're headed to Illinois, then on to the NE, you'll most likely travel through Ohio. There's a few of us here in Ohio. Us, Doc and jwstewar off the top of my head and Big Dog is 3 hours or so East of me.

ghautz

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
We are in Arizona, about 80 -100 miles south of I-40, a couple of hundred miles from the Grand Canyon. It would be a pleasure to meet you.

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
If you are near Chicago, we are about an hour and a half away. If it is the summer you are here, and Plain Vanilla is in the water, we can go for a 110 mile an hour blast on Lake Michigan

HEY! He is mine! :pirate: Dont need no Puddle Jumpers showing my buddy around Chicago. :yum:

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm west of DC in northern Virginia. Lots of stuff around here to see.

Be glad to meet you somewhere around DC/Baltimore.

Jim

RNE228

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
While SoCal has lots to offer, I would recommend flying into San Fran, and going east from there. There is Yosemite, Mt Shasta, and many great area's up here. The Interstate-80 corridor has tons of things to see and do, from San Fran to the Atlantic coast.

You would do well leaving from LA too, but I like this area as a start point. LA is 6-8 hours from Sacramento, Portland Or is 10 hours north. This area is more centrally located.

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
Daedong - If you'd like to see northern Wisconsin, we'd love to have you. Feel free to PM me and we can make arrangements. We are about 5 hours north of Chicago and 4 hours east of Minneapolis. You could swing through our neck of the woods, then cross the Mackinac bridge from the upper penninsula of Michigan to lower Michigan then on to New England.

Cityboy

Banned
Let me be the first to welcome you!!!

If I could persuade you to land in San Francisco instead of LA then we would be on your route. My ranch is 1.5 hours north of SFO (airport) and my home in town is 1.75 hours northeast. Both are 400 miles north of LA. If you started here I could give you some camping gear and you could see Yosemite, the Giant Redwoods, and Death Valley on your way down to Los Angeles. I agree LA is a good place to start a cross country drive.

Hey D, this is what I would do. Fly in to SanFran and meet Cali. He could help you get started and would be a great entry contact and help with the camping gear.

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter

I need thoughts, comments and suggestions to aid the planning of this trip. Over the next few months I will have plenty of questions.

Well as part of the suggestions section and I doubt you will be making it to Alaska. I would suggest that you check with companies that rent motor homes, they have smaller ones to larger one.

They don't get the best gas milage, but when you figure out what you will spend in Hotels and eatting out, you more than likely will come out ahead and don't have to pack and repack every day.

Here in Alaska, there are a number of companies that do rental fleets and are very popular. Not to mention that you have a place to call "Home" for a break from the traveling now and then.

Anyway, there is tons of info for that subject that can be obtained from a host of sources, if you are interested I will look them up for you.

Good luck and enjoy your time here.... Oh, you may get a touch of "Motion Sickness" from having to walk inverted for a bit, from your walking upside down "Down under"....:yum:

Spiffy1

Huh?
SUPER Site Supporter
If you're doing MN and WI, then you can cut through SD. :thumb:

Mt. Rushmore is on the west side if that's on your list of sights; not sure whether dead presidents carved in granite appeal to the rest of the world or not. :confused2:

All kinds of tourists traps around that area, and off I90 all the way across the state, but most probably over-rated. :pat:

daedong

Thanks everyone. At this point in time please don't be put out if I have not responded to individuals as there is lots to digest. I will seriously consider driving up the West Coast and try to catch up with California and RNE228. It's going to be very difficult working out a route because I won't be able to catch up with everyone I would like to as we won't have time to zigzag too much.

I guess the first thing I need advice with is what and where are the best road maps I can get hold of.

There's already been a little twist to what's happening. I have a cousin that I have never met that lives in San Diego. About three years ago by perseverance and some luck I tracked her down via the internet. We actually corresponded many times and then I lost touch with her. Only yesterday I have managed to contact her again. She insists that we visit and stay with her for some time and visit my aunt. My aunt lives near her. I have only seen my aunt once in my life and that was when I was about 8 years old. So my plan will be to stay with my cousin for the first two or three days.

Today I spoke with a guy that travels to the US frequently. He has suggested that I should consider purchasing a car rather than hiring. He thinks it will work out much cheaper. Any thoughts?

mak2

Come accross 70 to Indy :beer: I know there are a few of us in this area. Renting a vehicle is pretty economical. I sometimes fly places, rent a car, drive and tour an area and just turn it in at the airport and fly home. Dont know about buying one then selling it.

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
Today I spoke with a guy that travels to the US frequently. He has suggested that I should consider purchasing a car rather than hiring. He thinks it will work out much cheaper. Any thoughts?

Problems:

Registration - Don't know if this would be possible to register to your home down under and drive here, or register to relative/friend's address?

Insurance - Problems plenty.

Getting rid of it at the end of the tour - could be problematic.

Renting just sounds allot easier and cheaper. :thumb:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Vin,

Most of the car rental companies have long-term rates which are pretty aggressively priced. I think what's going to cost you a bit is to pick up in CA and return it in DC.

I'll watch your itinerary. If you're anywhere near W. PA (near BigDog), I'm close as well.

Brian

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
Re: We are coming to the USA

If you are going to San Diego then a must-see is to cross the border and spend a half day (or more) shopping in Tijuana. Unforgetable.

Off-topic: I took the kids down there in 1999. To return back across the border to the US, we got on a cheap poor-peoples bus (recycled US school bus). The bus filled up but no driver appeared. Suddenly the Mexican police (Maybe US agents in disguise?) rushed two passengers who turned out to be Arabs in Mexican-peasant garb who spoke a little well-educated English, almost no Spanish. They weren't just busted, they were clearly terrified. Before they were led off they said their destination was Texas, I think the city (Austin?) where the news later revealed the 9/11 terrorists had a safehouse. I wonder if we were two rows from Al Quaida.

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
I guess the first thing I need advice with is what and where are the best road maps I can get hold of.
The best road maps come from American Automobile Association, AAA. See if you can join an Australian auto club that has a reciprocal agreement with AAA. They provide free route planning and free maps. Hopefully you can get this service by mail before your departure and then after you are on the road, you can stop in to the AAA offices in every city.

I don't presently belong, but maybe others here could send AAA maps to you.

Today I spoke with a guy that travels to the US frequently. He has suggested that I should consider purchasing a car rather than hiring. He thinks it will work out much cheaper.
I think the return charge to leave the car on the opposite side of the country will be extremely high, so you should consider buying an inexpensive used car in San Diego. That is a huge city and there will be a good choice of cars. Los Angeles has literally millions of cars and you could probably find a good one there immediately. California cars don't rust so if you buy it private-party you should get nearly what you paid when you sell it in the east - it will look better than other cars of that year model.

You mentioned a medium SUV. With the distances here I think the fuel cost will kill you. I would try to determine the best combination of comfortable freeway cruising/fuel economy. My Ford Focus Wagon is the smallest car I've owned that is comfortable to drive all day and it gets 30+ miles per gallon on long stretches. Toyotas and Hondas get better mileage but I don't know which models are comfortable. Those two also hold their resale value better, and are so common that you would quickly find a buyer.

Check the registration and insurance issues before jumping into this, however. You could have a mess driving, or selling, a car with expired California plates in an eastern state.

k-dog

I'm outside of DC about 15 minutes from Harpers Ferry, WV and Antietam, MD which have lots of history in the area, a lot of it is from the Civil War though. I also travel to Washington DC everyday so maybe we could meet for lunch one day in Washington DC as I only work about a half a block from the Verizon Center (Gallery Place, Chinatown Metro Stop).

I think I would just rent a car, that way you could fly when you wanted to then drive when you want to.

Cowboyjg

Country Club Member
Site Supporter
Vin,

NE Tennesee Here......Should be able to put you up @ the farm.

You can hike the Applachian Trail, Bike, Horse ride, see Historic Battle Fields, Drink Moonshine...:drink: , Go to the Biltmore Estate, Fish, Hunt and so on and so on.

Talk to the Rental car companies. Bet you can haggle a good deal.... and don't listen to thier crap about a charge for dropping the car off in DC. Tell them to give you a car that is about to be removed from thier fleet. When you're done they are gonna sell the thing anyway!!! They won't be so stupid as to turn you down.

We are about 5-6 hrs frm DC.

Nearby Thoroughfares are I-40, I-81, I-75

Major cities include Knoxville, Tn...Asheville, NC, Bristol, Tn (The Real Home of Country Music!!!)

Most of the Mid-Atlantic spots are no more than a days' drive (8 hrs) from here.

Anyway....let me know if I can help.