• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Wanted a simple watch

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm looking for a simple watch. EASY to read. Rugged. NOT DIGITAL. NOT too big/bulky. Not really looking for fancy features (no chronograph, moon phase, etc). Heck it can even be a manual winding model. I'd like it to be water resistent. The hands should glow in the dark, not necessarily tritium vials. Stainless steel body, scratch-proof mineral crystal (no plastic). Much prefer leather or sharkskin straps, deployment clasp is preferred over standard buckle but I can always add that if the watch is what I am looking for. NOT made in China. Under $500, just for casual wear.

Any brands you've found that fit that criteria?

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Wenger or Swiss Army ........... I have a whole bunch of them and all I wear except for my beater Timex. I hate digitals!

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
You had to know it was coming....

Attachments

• mmlarge.jpg
    mmlarge.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 259

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
A little more seriously, these are nice, functional conversation pieces...

http://www.russianoptics.com/watches.html

Technical Specifications:
Class 1. Mechanical wind. Forty hours of work from one full winding. Guaranteed accuracy: -20/+40 seconds per 24 hours. 27 functional ruby jewels. Water resistant to 20 meters and dust protected. Shock resistant balanced assembly. "DATE" calendar. Solid bronze body and stainless steel back cover hermetically sealed. Phosphorus marks on face and needles to see in the dark. Red central seconds needle. Adjustable bezel up to 60 minutes clearly marked in 10 minutes increment. Features unique multi-functional winding head, which serves as a sealed watertight cap and works as a winding wheel, allows to adjust needles position and change the calendar. Genuine leather strap of brown or black color with side stitching. Packed in a gift style hard colorful box. Body and bezel style may appear slightly different from that is shown on the pictures, depending on manufacture run.
To wind the watch unscrew the cap and use it fir winding. Pull out the head to adjust the needles position. Move needles from 9 to 12 o'clock back and forth to change the date calendar. Pull the cover in and screw in tightly.

One of several models all under $50...

Attachments

• 023E_SM.jpg
    023E_SM.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 259

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Bob, looking for something with higher contrast hands/face. Better looking that that Russian one would be nice too :puke1:

Attachments

• Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    133.1 KB · Views: 254
  • Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    240.5 KB · Views: 270
  • Picture 4.png
    Picture 4.png
    293.7 KB · Views: 275

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Simple Timex watch..

Remember John Cameron Swayze?
Takes a licking and keeps on ticking..

Attachments

• T20461.jpg
    T20461.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 248

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
Holy Moley! That orange one is definately made for the elderly with poor....errr, sorry, nevermind. That's the watch for you! :thumb:

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
I get one fancier than Timex, and it either gets lost, stolen or breaks... The cheap ones last a long time and nobody wants to steal them when you take them off to wash up....

If that wasn't the case, then I would get a Breitling Emergency watch. It has a built in ELT (Emergency Locational Transmitter) that transmits on 121.5, same freq. as the aircraft distress signal. You will be located either by high flying airliners or satellite. They only cost about $4,000.00+- (more + though) which would assure that I get one stolen since it won't break and I wouldn't lose it after paying that much....

insidecase600x4507am.jpg

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I would get a Breitling. . .
I already have a Breitling. Mine is a limited edition DuoGraph. My wife says I'm a watch whore. But if I was going into that price range again I'd get an RGM watch with an alarm, its actually a bit more than the Breitling. I've got a bunch of watches, looking for a basic model this time. I'm tired of having to get the expensive ones buffed out after I ding the case on something. I don't want anything I have to worry about. My favorite knock about watch is a CYMA NavyStar with carbon fiber dial, not sure what the case finish is, its black, possibly ceramic over steel. I've not dented it yet and its 2 or 3 years old. But its a divers watch and rather bulky, I'm looking for something a bit thinner and lighter.

Attachments

• 05245-2-01.jpg
    05245-2-01.jpg
    281.3 KB · Views: 254
  • Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    63.4 KB · Views: 235

RNE228

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
I have a Wenger. It is pretty basic, with large easy to see hands. The second hand is very easy to see. I have been keeping an eye out for another watch, but have not found anything I really like(this watch is getting beat up).

I like the simple, large face, with large hands that is easy to see, with good glow to it for night time. Makes it a lot easier when taking vitals on a medical call in poor lighting. Analog is much better for this.

I have a couple other watches with all the moon phase, date dial etc. But they are just for getting fancy. Daya to day, or working at the fire station, I like a simple easy to read watch.

dzalphakilo

Banned
My favorite, the exclusive Timex Ironman, found only at fine retail stores throughout the country.

If you're lucky, you may find one that will retail under 60,867 Dinars.

Takes a licken, keeps on ticken, even when it's smashed on Big Splat.

EDIT: Yeah, it's digital, guess I'm old school.

Attachments

• 1watch.JPG
    1watch.JPG
    139.5 KB · Views: 213

k-dog

DZ,

I am a big fan of the Timex Ironman too and have had one for the past 15 years. The only problem is I usually scratch the face up plus Bob didn't want digital. I usually end up breaking the band a couple of times before I replace the watch because of the face being too beat up. I usually get about 5 to 7 years out of one which isn't bad for $40 or so.

They look at me a little funny at work when they come in with their fancy watches, but I don't have to worry about anyone trying to steal it on the Metro in DC:thumb: .

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Bob,
I got this big old sun dial on the back deck but that sucker would break your arm trying to carry it around . Nobody would steal it though ...

I thought you Retired ???? Why do you need or want one ?

I took a forced retirement at 47 . I took my wrist watch off and have not worn one since .

What about a Pocket Watch ? I have quite a collection of old rare ones . They look nice and wear like iron . Start a new fad :thumb: :thumb: !!
I can almost see that pocket watch chain pinned to your hawaiian shirt .Priceless !:yum: :yum:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
What about a Pocket Watch ?
OK, BigAl gave an alternative first so now I can talk.

How about the clock on your cell/PDA or whatever gadget you're carrying?

Your wrist will feel naked for awhile but personally, I don't like wearing a watch anymore after switching to use the cell phone.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I thought you Retired ???? Why do you need or want one ?
I have to keep track of time because of Melen's diabetes. She has to call me from school every day. I use the watch to mark down the times she calls when I record her blood sugar levels. I keep a log.

As for being retired, I'm actually busier now than I've ever been and I'm not really sure what I am doing :idea:

dzalphakilo

Banned
They look at me a little funny at work when they come in with their fancy watches, but I don't have to worry about anyone trying to steal it on the Metro in DC:thumb: .

I used to take the blue line (I think, forgot) into New Carrolton (sp?) along time ago, I know what you mean.

Bob, why not digital, I'd figure it would be easier to keep track of "measured" time.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Bob, why not digital, I'd figure it would be easier to keep track of "measured" time.
Basically I just don't like digital. But I'm not measuring the time, just keeping records of the tests and the times they were taken. There is some occasional need to track the elapsed time, but that is pretty rare and only when I don't have the logbook with me.

I could get a chronograph. I'm actually wearing one of those today, but again its a bulky heavy watch. I'm really looking for something thinner, lighter, easier to wear. AND EASY TO READ.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Contrast leaves some to be desired. . .
Doc, I think some of the Skagen and similar brands of dress watches like you pictures are good looking, but all of them seem to have dials that are hard to read! Also, I'd prefer a leather or sharkskin strap with a deployment clasp to a metal bracelet.

I want black hands on a white dial, white hands on a black dial, or some variation of light/dark colors that are high contrast. Glow in the dark hands would be greatly appreciated too!

Divers and military type watches usually have very high contrast easy to read dials, however many of those designs are bulky.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Doc, I think some of the Skagen and similar brands of dress watches like you pictures are good looking, but all of them seem to have dials that are hard to read! Also, I'd prefer a leather or sharkskin strap with a deployment clasp to a metal bracelet.

I want black hands on a white dial, white hands on a black dial, or some variation of light/dark colors that are high contrast. Glow in the dark hands would be greatly appreciated too!

Divers and military type watches usually have very high contrast easy to read dials, however many of those designs are bulky.

We give, you just can't be satisfied ............... :poke: :yum:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

I thought those were more dressy than you'd want, but they are ultra thin.

You might try www.bluedial.com
They have lots of the swiss army watches, but they do look bulky.

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter

I have a Seiko with a black dial and stainless hands.

Jim

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have a Seiko with a black dial and stainless hands.

Jim
But I want glow in the dark hands :)

That ORANGE faced one that BobPierce liked so much is looking like a possible candidate! :pat:

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
But I want glow in the dark hands :)

I think it does have the luminous inserts. I'll look at it tonight and let you know. If it doesn't a little duct tape and a led flashlight will fix it. :thumb:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
This is going to be like the rifle, isn't it Bob?

I didn't think so. Actually I think I have it narrowed down to a few choices.

I can get a sub-$500 price on a $1200 Xemex that has a black face, easy to read white hands/markers, rubber strap, deployment clasp, waterproof, shockproof, automatic movement, real crystal. The case is thin, the headsize is under 40mm. Good watch, good price. But the hands are not luminous.

An Aristo Luminous Pilot. The whole face lights up. 2 different face styles are available, both are easy to read/high contrast white with black hands. Headsize is 40mm, come with crappy leather strap and traditional buckles, waterproof, shockproof, automatic movement, crystal. A bit bigger than I'd like, but titanium case makes it light. Not familiar with the brand but a good warranty. Well below my set price.

Ollech & Wajs has a black dial, white luminious hands simple mechanical wind watch. About as simple as you can get. Headsize is under 40mm, crappy leather strap with traditional buckle. Crappy warranty but a good brand that's been around a while. Tritium luminous hands and markers, water resistant, etc. Lowest price of the bunch.

Downside of the Xemex is the hands are not luminous. Best quality of the bunch, best band of the bunch.

Downside of the Aristo is the larger headsize and the band. A good deployment clasp can run $100 alone (a cheap one is $25), I have some that are well above that price. So the price is in budget but by the time I add a clasp and a real leather strap I'd be above the price of the deal I can get on the Xemex. Still it has the easiest to read dial.

Downside of the O&W is the warranty, and I'd run into replacing the strap and the buckle, just like the Aristo. I actually like the fact that it is a manual wind watch, hard to break and if it sits for days it only takes a few moments to put it into running condition.

Leaning toward the O&W, but find it hard to pass up the deal on the Xemex.