• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Toyota benchmarking Ford lightning

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
The amount of disinformation on both sides of the playing field is high. everybody wants to make this political, but yet Ev adoption in other countries is a lot higher than it is in the US. Time will tell, and hopefully they let the consumers choose. But the disinformation is extremely high.

While Ford rival Toyota somewhat shunned the idea of all-electric vehicles at first, the Japanese automaker has since invested heavily in that area – though it also isn’t giving up on hybrids, much like The Blue Oval. Regardless, Toyota has several new EV models in the pipeline, one of which is a three-row crossover that will be built at the automaker’s Kentucky plant, where it is investing billions to retool that facility for the production of future EVs. Toyota also has plans to build an all-electric pickup – most likely, one based on the mid-size Tacoma – which explains why our sister site, Motrolix, recently discovered that the automaker benchmarking a Ford F-150 Lightning.

Toyota showed off an all-electric mid-size pickup that looks much like the Tacoma a couple of years ago, and as such, it makes perfect sense that the automaker would want to benchmark an established entity like the Ford F-150 Lightning, which has been on sale since 2021 as a 2022 model year vehicle. According to Motrolix, Toyota is benchmarking far more than just the Lightning, however – it also has a Tesla Cybertruck and GMC Hummer EV in its possession, too.

This trio of EV pickups is being evaluated at two different Toyota facilities in the U.S. in an effort that involves a “healthy cross-section” of workers from different departments within the company, according to this report, signaling that Toyota is quite serious about developing an all-electric pickup of its own.

In recent months, Toyota has somewhat followed in Ford’s electrified footsteps in a number of other ways, too. In fact, it’s currently partnering with Redwood Materials – an EV battery recycling outfit with heavy backing from The Blue Oval – as it works to develop long-range solid-state batteries as well, plans to follow Ford and adopt Tesla’s North American Charging Standard (NACS) rather than the Combined Charging System (CCS) it currently utilizes in its EVs, and Toyota is also slated to build EV components in Michigan, where Ford is in the midst of erecting a new EV battery plant of its own.

We’ll have more on everything Ford’s competition is up to soon, so be sure and subscribe to Ford Authority for 24/7 Ford news coverage.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Any car maker that wants to sell vehicles in the US market MUST convert a good chunk of its fleet to EV sales, whether they like it or not. Several states are following the California mandate for all EV sales in the near future.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I consumed an interview with a male ford manager/ director/ leader years ago that stuck with me. Basically the interview stated.
Regulate us.
"If we (car manufacturers) are needed to change. The regulations must be put in place for a long enough period of time to effect change. "
i feel.
The consumer will react to the market accordingly. THIS is what is great about america. I get to do what i want , when i want.

In the late 70's i was able to see my fathers hot rod people laugh at mr jansen as he tried making a vw bug electric. (Technology of the day you ask.... dc traction motor from a circus bumper car and lead acid batteries) it worked. It was cool.
Im my prime. I always intellectually tinkered on improvements. Ultimatley writing a proposal for a solectria force sedan. (3 phase AC traction motor, nickel cadnium batteries, *failed, went to lead acid*) but it had regenerative braking!

All that is new now 4th time around for usa, 3rd time for me personally is teslas panasonic designed integrated battery cell construction. (Uptakes electrons quicker, gives them out quicker) but quit trying to find the merit in energy transformation designs. The best is the quickest, direct energy transformation.
I submit vw as my conclussion. Vw purchased the ih scout name via a navistar acquisition. The are scheduled to release an all electric SCOUT, im betting it never happens. No mfg is benchmarking anything. This is a regulated cafe type standard from class 6 trucks down to consumer private transportation. I understand the merit but not the practice.