• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Swine Flu Outbreak, a possible threat of just the flu?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well that is my bet too. I'm not at all worried about it being related to Swine flu. But the kids were all buzzing about it being Swine flu blah blah blah...

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I've got a feeling everyone's going to be buzzing they have swine flu at the first sign of not feeling well.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I've got a feeling everyone's going to be buzzing they have swine flu at the first sign of not feeling well.

Yup, but news like this won't help any :ermm:

Apr 28, 2009 10:15 am US/Central
1 Case Of Swine Flu Confirmed In Indiana
State Authorities: Patient Is 'Doing Well'

The Indiana health commissioner said Tuesday morning that one swine flu case has been confirmed in the state.

The infected person is "doing well," Health Commissioner Dr. Judy Monroe said.

WISH-TV reported that the infected person is a young adult from northern Indiana. It was not immediately learned where exactly the person lives.

Public health officials advised Indiana residents to go on with regular precautios against the flu.

"We advise Hoosiers to practice normal precautions to avoid influenza and other respiratory diseases, such as frequent hand washing and covering your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze," Monroe said.

At 8 a.m. on Tuesday the Department of Health implemented it's emergency operation facility, WISH reported.

Monroe said the case had been confirmed in testing by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.​

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
No panic, but I am making bacon sandwiches for lunch. Just in case.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
CDC says DEATHS IN THE US are expected and the flu is SPREADING :ermm:

Officials say US deaths expected from swine flu

By SARA KUGLER and CRISTIAN SALAZAR, Associated Press Writers
32 mins ago

NEW YORK – The global swine flu outbreak worsened Tuesday as authorities said hundreds of students at a New York school have fallen ill and federal officials said they expected to see U.S. deaths from the virus. Cuba suspended flights to and from Mexico, becoming the first country to impose a travel ban to the epicenter of the epidemic.
The mayor of the capital cracked down further on public life, closing gyms and swimming pools and ordering restaurants to limit service to takeout.

Confirmed cases were reported for the first time as far away as New Zealand and Israel, joining the United States, Canada, Britain and Spain.
Swine flu is believed to have killed more than 150 people in Mexico, and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said the U.S. has 68 confirmed cases in five states, with 45 in New York, one in Ohio, one in Indiana, two in Kansas, six in Texas and 13 in California.

"I fully expect we will see deaths from this infection," said Richard Besser, acting director of the CDC.

That was echoed by Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano.
"It is very likely that we will see more serious presentations of illness and some deaths as we go through this flu cycle," she said. President Barack Obama asked Congress for $1.5 billion in emergency funds to fight the illness.

In New York, there were growing signs that the virus was moving beyond St. Francis Preparatory school, where sick students started lining up last week at the nurse's office. The outbreak came just days after a group of students returned from spring break in Cancun.

At the 2,700-student school, the largest Roman Catholic high school in the nation, "many hundreds of students were ill with symptoms that are most likely swine flu," said Health Commissioner Thomas Frieden. The cases haven't been confirmed.

Twelve teachers reported flu-like symptoms as well, said the principal, Brother Leonard Conway.

A nearby public school for special education students was shut down after more than 80 students called in sick. Frieden said that some of the students have siblings at St. Francis.

"It is here and it is spreading," Frieden said.

Some of the New York students who tested positive for swine flu after a trip to Mexico passed it on to others who had not traveled — a significant fact because it suggests the strain suspected in dozens of deaths in Mexico can also spread through communities in other countries, said Keiji Fukuda, assistant director-general of the World Health Organization.

"There is definitely the possibility that this virus can establish that kind of community wide outbreak capacity in multiple countries, and it's something we're looking for very closely," Fukuda said. So-called "community" transmissions are a key test for gauging whether the spread of the virus has reached pandemic proportions.

Fukuda warned, however, against jumping to the conclusion that the virus has become firmly established in the United States.

Still, U.S. officials stressed there was no need for panic and noted that flu outbreaks are quite common every year. The CDC estimates about 36,000 people in the U.S. died of flu-related causes each year, on average, in the 1990s.​
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090429...zBHBvcwMxNARzZWMDdG9vbHMtdG9wBHNsawNwcmludA--

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
the 2 in Ks: guy was exposed to it in Mexico - the other case lives with him.
also: this particular strain is resistant to 2 of the antivirals frequently prescribed, but responds well to the majority of the others in common use, so long as they are administered within the first 48 hours of symptoms. (just like "regular" influenza)

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
Well, I think I had (?) it. Been sick for the past 12 days with body aches, congestion, sweats\chills, fatigue, bronchial issues -- the works. "Sounds like normal flu symptoms" you say? Well how about this? My house turned into a pig sty (from lack of energy), I started to smell like bacon and, as some of my closest friends can attest, I'm an incorridgible ham. Maybe I need to notify the W.H.O. or CDC?Seriously, not to make light of this stuff -- it can be serious, but good lord. Are we seriously talking pandemic? Maybe I'm missing something (wouldn't be the first time...)

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Well, I think I had (?) it. Been sick for the past 12 days with body aches, congestion, sweatschills, fatigue, bronchial issues -- the works. "Sounds like normal flu symptoms" you say? Well how about this? My house turned into a pig sty (from lack of energy), I started to smell like bacon and, as some of my closest friends can attest, I'm an incorridgible ham. Maybe I need to notify the W.H.O. or CDC?Seriously, not to make light of this stuff -- it can be serious, but good lord. Are we seriously talking pandemic? Maybe I'm missing something (wouldn't be the first time...)
:w00t2:
Jim, I spoke with our in house physician today about it all in a lighthearted manner.
He told me right now is not the time for everyone to be getting all excited about it, but rather.. this coming fall and winter would be the time to be a cause for worry.
Even then-it'll probably be a bug that's just normally going around and we'll all be thinking it's the porcine virus.

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
Well if you were screwing up the economy, making America a target with stupid foreign policy and realized that people were starting to come unhinged.... What better to take their minds off a good "A$$ Kicking" than to start a panic about something that happens almost every year anyway, just blow it out of proportion and you have everyone's mind off the fact that one of our major cities may be "Nuked" by a bunch of guys looking for a room full of virgins...

The Plot Thickens...

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Any distraction to keep people from watching what the real agenda is! Or as Rom Emanual says "never waste a good crisis". This administration is masterful at hyped up PR that occupies folks while they quietly push legislation on us. Now that they have a 60 vote margin in the senate they can shove most anything through without listening to the populace.

Glink

Site Supporter
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aEsNownABJ6Q&refer=home

On April 25th, Bloomberg reported Mexico’s Calderon Declares Emergency Amid Swine
Flu Outbreak: …The first case was seen in Mexico on April 13. The outbreak coincided
with the President Barack Obama’s trip to Mexico City on April 16. Obama was received
at Mexico’s anthropology museum in Mexico City by Felipe Solis, a distinguished
archeologist who died the following day from symptoms similar to flu, Reforma
newspaper reported.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
152 deaths in Mexico. OMFG!! The sky is falling.

Ok, here's some more facts:

36,000 people, more or less, die every year from influenza. That is the number of deaths according to the CDC web site; the NEJM review uses the higher number of 56,000 (7). Which number is correct? Isn’t that why the flu vaccine is recommended: to prevent all those people from dying.

How come the hysteria is not there for Influenza. Every year somewhere between 36k and 56k die in the US from influenza.

"Swine" flu is not out of control. The media is. Pork consumption is way down! WTF! Are people that stoopid? Commodity pork pricing dropping nicely. I read some country is slaughtering all their pigs! Jeezuz! It's like MMGW all over again.

Can't wait for the first case of skin cancer this summer - we'll figure out how to control and tax the sun.

OK, rant over. Sorry.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Egypt is slaughtering all their pigs. But given that Egypt is primarily a Muslim nation and they don't eat pork, so I'd guess that BOTH of the pigs in the Cairo zoo were slaughtered but the media reported it a bit differently.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
^^^ hahaha, ya, the truth, the whole truth, and nuthin but the truth..........

loboloco

And as soon as this dies down, the mwdia will find something else to panic about. They (the liberal media) believe that if they can get and keep a feeling of constant fear and crisis, the american people will gladly give up their liberty to the government.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
The MSM are having a freaking ball with this now, but I suspect some sort of distraction will take over come tomorrow.. like umm the $3.5 trillion budget?

loboloco

More likely, another botulism scare, or some anti gun crusade. The budget won't scare people, but might piss them off. The reason the MSM jumped all over the 'tea parties' and tried to label them extremists and racists.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
I really wish you people would stop calling it the Swine Flu. My pig farm is losing value because of it.:whistling:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Have you seen the commodities market and pork bellies?

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
so it sounds like most folks in this thread think the porcine influenza is for the birds?
me, I'm gonna wait for the big sale on pork at the grocery because of all the folks afraid they'll catch the flu from it... (and then lament this summer/next fall when the price goes through the roof due to shortages...)