• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Strike

Kane

I left public and went private several years back. I figure I'm making about $25k more per year than my counter parts that are still there, plus I have a better retirement plan (yes we still have one) and also matching contributions on 401k. They recently talked to me about going back, I wouldn't take that size of pay cut.
My husband estimates that I would have made $7,000 a year more in private industry.
not around here I make between 10 and 15 dollars an hour more than my counterparts working fore the state.
This is all good news. Great! But it seems counter to nationwide statistics, where the value of all the guv's fringes puts the guv's package as much as 40% over the private sector.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
I worked federal civil service for about 6 years prior to that I worked for the city of anchorage . now at the time I was making pretty good money and had a decent benefit package. seeing how things are now i'm glad i'm gone the union has been stripped of striking power wages have not gone up with the cost of living. now the assembly wants to cap managements pay increases yet the mayor is dead set against it. way I see it is lead by example was what I was taught in nco academy but now days management just doesn't get it. the management circles now are about as bad as the unions as far as it's all about me and screw the workers. on a side note my manager now, when he came to work here had to make some hard decisions to avoid laying off people, so hours were cut but not before he cut his own salary. now the company is healthy and thriving people are compensated right and things are good again he is a real hero in my book.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Just a quick update. The strike is over. First day back at work today. I was NOT impressed with our union at the meeting to ratify the contract offer. Several things just royally pissed me off. First, we used to get paid $70 for every oncall shift during the week and $120 on the weekend. The union in all their geniusness thought it would be a good idea to push for a flat rate of $45 for the oncall shift and IF, only IF, we get called out and have to respond in person, then we get an hourly rate. Here's the thing. When I go oncall, I could spend the whole night dealing with issues on the phone but not actually have to go out. So now I'm stuck doing this for a meazly $45 instead of $70. Secondly, the first offer that the union recomended we reject before the strike gave us nothing for a raise the first year, 2.5% the second year and 2% the third year. Now, it was 0 the first year, 2% the second, and 2% the third. So we lost on that one. The other major issue was the workload. Well, they are gonna form a committee and do a 6 month study on the workloads of everyone then submit a report. I stood up at the meeting and told them the report might as well be written on toilet paper for all the good it will do. We will still be overworked and nothing will change. Not very happy to say the least right now. I'm out 3 weeks wages and absolutley nothing has changed. I was not in favor of this strike to start with and have never been a fan of unions. My last day picketing, I went there and just sat on my a$$ doing nothing. No sign, no nothing.