• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

PC not accepting input from KB or mouse

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have a desktop (tower) computer that's been sitting idle for about a year.

I fired it up but when I get to the User Sign On screen, it doesn't accept input from the keyboard or mouse.

During boot, I was able to use the keyboard (F2 & F8 to access setup/startup) as well as arrows, escape... so it is seeing the keyboard.

Any ideas?

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Try a different keyboard and mouse if you have some laying around.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Doh, why didn't I think of that Dave?

Doc, I tried 2 other keyboards and 2 mice. Same results.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Doc, I tried 2 other keyboards and 2 mice. Same results.

Are they USB? I have seen it before where the BIOS sees the keyboard & mouse, but the OS doesn't because of an OS level driver problem. Does safe mode work?

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
For both ports to go out is highly unusual from my experience. I guess it means your mobo is going going gone ...or you've plugged them into the wrong ports three times in a row. (not likely).

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Are they USB? I have seen it before where the BIOS sees the keyboard & mouse, but the OS doesn't because of an OS level driver problem. Does safe mode work?
I tried USB and the green/blue jacks. No difference.

I tried safe mode but no difference.

Does it sound like it's working at the hardware level but Windows doesn't like or recognize it.
It seems to work fine until it starts Windows.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Boot from CD and see if they work. That will confirm or eliminate the OS.